eminemd12

Selected for 2020 with no high school diploma

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all,

My cousin got selected in the DV Lottery, but he does not have a high school diploma. He currently lives in a UAE, and has enough experience. How can we make sure his experience can count.

Than k you

8 minutes ago, zouhairbkr said:

Hi all,

My cousin got selected in the DV Lottery, but he does not have a high school diploma. He currently lives in a UAE, and has enough experience. How can we make sure his experience can count.

Than k you

How about read the rules of DV and follow them? It's all there. All the experience needs to be properly documented. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Work Experience: If you are qualifying with work experience, you must have two years of experience in the last five years, in an occupation which, by U.S. Department of Labor definitions, requires at least two years of training or experience that is designated as Job Zone 4 or 5, classified in a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) rating of 7.0 or higher. 

The U.S. Department of Labor provides information on job duties, knowledge and skills, education and training, and other occupational characteristics on their website http://www.onetonline.org/. The O*Net online database groups work experience into five "job zones." While many occupations are listed, only certain specified occupations qualify for the Diversity Visa Program.

How To Find the Qualifying Occupations on the Department of Labor Website: Qualifying DV Occupations are shown on the Department of Labor O*Net Online Database. Follow these steps, when you are in O*Net Online to find out if your occupation qualifies:

• Under "Find Occupations" select "Job Family" from the pull down;
  • Then Browse by “Job Family”. (For example, select Architecture and Engineering) and click "GO";
  • Then click on the link for your specific occupation. (As an example, select Aerospace Engineers. At the bottom of this Summary Report for Aerospace Engineers, under the Job Zone section, you will find the designated Job Zone 4, SVP Range, 7.0 to < 8.0. This means using this example, Aerospace Engineering is a qualifying occupation.)

Again, you should not continue with your DV application if you do not meet the qualifying education or work experience requirements explained above.  You will not be issued a visa, and any fees you pay will not be refunded.

Here you go with the detailed information on qualification. He should have documented proof from UAE that can be confirmed. And note that it must meet the criteria set out above.

Edited by Just Observing

To emphasize from the above: the experience needs to be at the correct level, and needs to be evidenced and documented.  He should ensure that he can match up the proof he gets via things like his job offer letter, job description etc can be tied back to a job description at the correct level in o-net and to demonstrate that he meets it.

also - because its a common mistake, although it wasn’t asked - I would also confirm that he entered on the basis of his country of birth and not his country of current residence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

To emphasize from the above: the experience needs to be at the correct level, and needs to be evidenced and documented.  He should ensure that he can match up the proof he gets via things like his job offer letter, job description etc can be tied back to a job description at the correct level in o-net and to demonstrate that he meets it.

also - because its a common mistake, although it wasn’t asked - I would also confirm that he entered on the basis of his country of birth and not his country of current residence.

Definitely! he has to go through where he was born! He is right now a Public relation Officer. I found only under management's family job on o-net the role of a public relation manager. Is it just a title, and just like you said he needs to make sure he matches through what is under his offer letter, job description ect... Thank you

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you will need this documented proof of 2 years or more of the qualifying work experience before you go to Morocco for your interview

big issue will be getting a criminal report clearance from UAE

i know saudi ,  for instance ,  does not give them to non nationals 

so, i suspect UAE may be the same

need to check that out

Having gone through the DV process, and also having known quite a few people who have gone through the process, I can tell with near certainty that the OP's cousin will not get the Diversity Visa.

Edited by TheKingmaker

21 minutes ago, zouhairbkr said:

Definitely! he has to go through where he was born! He is right now a Public relation Officer. I found only under management's family job on o-net the role of a public relation manager. Is it just a title, and just like you said he needs to make sure he matches through what is under his offer letter, job description ect... Thank you

The title may be important.  And remember he has to have been doing it for at least two years.

4 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

you will need this documented proof of 2 years or more of the qualifying work experience before you go to Morocco for your interview

big issue will be getting a criminal report clearance from UAE

i know saudi ,  for instance ,  does not give them to non nationals 

so, i suspect UAE may be the same

need to check that out

He doesn’t have to go to Morocco for interview. He just has to ensure he has listed Morocco as his county of birth and eligibility (assuming of course that it is). If a police report is unavailable then it is listed as such on the reciprocity tables and will not be a hindrance.

5 minutes ago, TheKingmaker said:

Having gone through the DV process, and also having known quite a few people who have gone through the process, I can tell with near certainty that the OP's cousin will not get the Diversity Visa.

People can and do qualify for DV on work experience. It is all about being able to prove it’s the right level for the right length of time. A lot of certainty there for a few lines about a stranger.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, TheKingmaker said:

I believe you....but why do you think that?  I'm curious....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

The title may be important.  And remember he has to have been doing it for at least two years.

He doesn’t have to go to Morocco for interview. He just has to ensure he has listed Morocco as his county of birth and eligibility (assuming of course that it is). If a police report is unavailable then it is listed as such on the reciprocity tables and will not be a hindrance.

He will need to have the criminal report from Morocco and has to apply in person so i assume he would go there ,  get that report and have the interview as most Moroccans can't afford flying back and forth 

and as soon as he asks employer for a document of work experience , he will probably be out of a job,  not to be cruel but to the arab world of richer people moroccans need work badly and are a dime a dozen 

3 hours ago, TheKingmaker said:

What do you think migrant workers in UAE without High School diplomas do? OP says the cousin has "enough" experience, but I am guessing it is not adequate.

Here you are “guessing”, which is my point. You may be right but you cannot possibly have enough information to be certain. 

3 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

He will need to have the criminal report from Morocco and has to apply in person so i assume he would go there ,  get that report and have the interview as most Moroccans can't afford flying back and forth 

and as soon as he asks employer for a document of work experience , he will probably be out of a job,  not to be cruel but to the arab world of richer people moroccans need work badly and are a dime a dozen 

I don’t know your Morocco specifics of the PCC but I do know a number of people working in UAE at the time they are selected, usually from somewhere in Africa, do get successful DV interviews there. If he is a “dime a dozen” type worker then yes he probably doesn’t qualify anyway, I personally know a number of people working or who have worked professional white collar jobs that are not a dime a dozen in Dubai. There are a lot more skills shortages than just cheap labor in Dubai.

Lots of assumptions on this thread.

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Here you are “guessing”, which is my point. You may be right but you cannot possibly have enough information to be certain. 

Professional hazard. I get paid to make predictions on future events. But I have a lot more data to rely on. Still, even with all the info, still making guesses to earn a living. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.