Aj06

Visa refused under section 212(a)5(A)

51 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I had my immigrant visa interview on 05/22 and it was refused.lO said that he believed the marriage is real but not valid.

Here is my story:-

I got married to my now ex in 2004 and due to difficulties in our marriage we separated in May 2008.In July 2008 she summons me to court for divorce which was delivered by a court marshal.From July 2008 to March 2009 i received three notices to appear for the divorce.I consulted a lawyer and he advised me that once i agreed to the divorce i dont need to waste time and money to contest it,that the marriage will eventually be terminated and the divorce will pass and judgement will be ruled in my ex favor.So in March 2009 i received the final notice to appear for the hearing in April and the notice stated that "this is the final notice to appear and if you fail to appear judgement will be ruled in your absence".So since then i believed that,that marriage was terminated and the divorce passed.

In July 2009 i entered into a common law relationship with my present wife and after she migrated in 2016 i went to visit and we got married in October 2016.Before we got married i asked my dad to go and get a copy of my divorce from the family court since i was not in the country and he was told that he needed my ID to get it or i have to come in person,so i believed that the divorce absolute was there and my previous marriage had been terminated and i acted in good faith and got remarried to my now wife and we believed that our marriage is a true and valid union.In December 2016 my wife petitioned for me.On the i130 application i did mentioned that i was previously married and stated that it ended in April 2009.when i returned to my country in January 2017 and i went to the family court to get a copy of my divorce i was told that they can't find it in their system.Upon inquiring further i pleaded with the clerk to search for the hard copy and i was told that,thats since 2009 they can't find it now...very disappointed.

I then asked my dad to call my ex and ask her if she has a copy and she said that she has to go and get it at court.To my surprise one week later my dad received a call from her lawyer saying that he has a divorce summons for me filed by my ex.Note this is the second time she is filing two separate divorces for same marriage. 

So i went and i asked the lawyer what is going on and he said i have been served.I then asked him if he was aware that she filed for divorce since 2008 and what happend to that.His response was same as the clerk at the court and was hasty saying that my ex is almost nine months pregnant and she dont have time to run about and since she filed for the divorce i have to pay half the fee and so on.Any way this divorce passed and the marriage was terminated in late January 2017.I now messed  up big time by taking it for granted buy not informing uscis since they never asked for it and approved my petition anyway.I then submitted the divorce absolute to nvc along with other civil docs for visa processing and my case was completed without any difficulty.

Now at the interview i was refused because my marriage is not valid.The IO said he believed my marriage is real but not valid and then typed the refusal letter saying that i am not qualified for the visa i am applying for and my case will be returned to uscis with recommendation to revoke.I messed up big time, my wife is so disheartened everytime she calls she is crying and this is eating me up because i have let my family down as a husband and as a father.

Dont know what to do?Can this be fixed?

Plz help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I am very sorry this happen to you I understand and know is very hard to be away from your loved one . I believe the best thing to do now is to do another petition with new paper work and all and also seek the service of an attorney . It will take time and money but at the end it will all be worth it . Good luck with everything the best part of all is that it is clear to them that the relationship is real . 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If your first marriage was not legally dissolved before Oct 2016, your current marriage is invalid.  If that is the case, I think your only option is to remarry your current wife, and refile a new petition...from scratch....I see no other way.....if I am reading your post correctly.

EDIT:  Make sure you have the proper paperwork showing the previous marriage was legally terminated...

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Elsalove2016 said:

I am very sorry this happen to you I understand and know is very hard to be away from your loved one . I believe the best thing to do now is to do another petition with new paper work and all and also seek the service of an attorney . It will take time and money but at the end it will all be worth it . Good luck with everything the best part of all is that it is clear to them that the relationship is real . 

But his current marriage is not valid......doesn't he have to marry first?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

23 minutes ago, missileman said:

If your first marriage was not legally dissolved before Oct 2016, your current marriage is invalid.  If that is the case, I think your only option is to remarry your current wife, and refile a new petition...from scratch....I see no other way.....if I am reading your post correctly.

EDIT:  Make sure you have the proper paperwork showing the previous marriage was legally terminated...

Do i have to wait to hear frm uscis first or my petition will be automatically revoked once it reaches there?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Aj06 said:

Do i have to wait to hear frm uscis first or my petition will be automatically revoked once it reaches there?

I don't think so........It seems to me that any appeal would be futile.......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. get copy of divorce decree from first marriage

2.  get married to USC spouse

3.  she files another I-130 for you

In that order.  Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Also I would differently address the situation at hand as well when refiling. Give them the heart felt letter of what happened, take accountability and state how it has impacted your life. One thing about USCIS and the embassy they research and pull up everything. 

NEW Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

OLD  Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

USCIS - 800-375-5283.  NVC - (603)-334-0700

Contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283.

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVC? Click here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY - https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

1 hour ago, kris&me said:

Looks like you need proper documentation of the divorce and to remarry and apply 

Divorce #2 filed by my ex was legally terminated on the 27th of jan 2017 and i am trying to find out the status of divorce #1 which was also filed by her in 2009, because that's the date i give uscis as my marriage termination date.

52 minutes ago, IssaCaptureFL said:

Also I would differently address the situation at hand as well when refiling. Give them the heart felt letter of what happened, take accountability and state how it has impacted your life. One thing about USCIS and the embassy they research and pull up everything. 

I was surprised they didn't pick up anything about the said divorce which was previously filed in 2009 by the high court.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Aj06 said:

Divorce #2 filed by my ex was legally terminated on the 27th of jan 2017 and i am trying to find out the status of divorce #1 which was also filed by her in 2009, because that's the date i give uscis as my marriage termination date.

I think you were wrong.....your marriage wasn't actually terminated until after your current marriage, it seems......therefore, you are not currently legally married.

1 minute ago, Aj06 said:

I was surprised they didn't pick up anything about the said divorce which was previously filed in 2009 by the high court.

Because filing a divorce doesn't finish the divorce.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline
2 hours ago, missileman said:

But his current marriage is not valid......doesn't he have to marry first?

Well the he has to divorce and then marry his wife and file the petition and address the situation to uscis . The relationship is real so it should come around just fine the second time one he has proof that his first marriage is completely terminated . 

7 minutes ago, missileman said:

I think you were wrong.....your marriage wasn't actually terminated until after your current marriage, it seems......therefore, you are not currently legally married.

Because filing a divorce doesn't finish the divorce.

I hear you my friend,but i am trying to find out what happened to divorce #1,if it did pass in 2009 then that would solve my problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.