sashsash

Father’s name spelled wrong in marriage certificate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone. We are about to start our AOS process next week, we went to pick up our marriage certificate and found the mistake in my dad’s last name. Like my mom’s last name is Smitha, but my dad’s last name is Smith, so a letter difference.  Completely my mistake, however we’ve been told we should request a new marriage license from the state of California and it can take 3-6 weeks to get a new one. My I-94 expires in July and I definitely want to apply before that. 

All of my other documents are filled using my dad’s correct name tho (all forms plus birth certificate). Is it crucial to wait until we receive the corrected form or we can send uscis the one which we have with the mistake in my dad’s name? Just bring the correct one for the interview or maybe send the new one in case of RFE.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've dealt with this nonsense so many times over the years. Not with US immigration, but I feel your pain. Russian last names. 

Personally, I would fix it first. 

However, I wouldn't blame you if you just sent it off and hoped they didn't notice or assumed it was somehow standard, because who cares.

Anecdotally, my birth certificate has the exact same error. I got it "translated" by an online company for $20 just for some air of legitimacy, but I typed out the birth certificate info for them, since Russian handwriting is notoriously indecipherable. I didn't read my birth certificate, I just wrote out names. Turns out, my birth certificate has a spelling error in my dad's name. The translation obviously doesn't, since I wrote it out. 

Now, chances of a USCIS agent who can read Russian, and who wants to read Russian, to confirm such a trivial piece of our documentation, is slim. Your marriage certificate is in English, so the chances are slightly higher, but I'm not convinced that they would notice. 

I feel like telling you to submit an incorrect document is bad advice but here I go. I'd go with it, and in the meantime, ask to get it corrected. If you do get an RFE, you'll have one to send same day. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Timeline
8 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Are you planning to petition your father to come to the United States?

Not any time soon. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, eckoin said:

I've dealt with this nonsense so many times over the years. Not with US immigration, but I feel your pain. Russian last names. 

Personally, I would fix it first. 

However, I wouldn't blame you if you just sent it off and hoped they didn't notice or assumed it was somehow standard, because who cares.

Anecdotally, my birth certificate has the exact same error. I got it "translated" by an online company for $20 just for some air of legitimacy, but I typed out the birth certificate info for them, since Russian handwriting is notoriously indecipherable. I didn't read my birth certificate, I just wrote out names. Turns out, my birth certificate has a spelling error in my dad's name. The translation obviously doesn't, since I wrote it out. 

Now, chances of a USCIS agent who can read Russian, and who wants to read Russian, to confirm such a trivial piece of our documentation, is slim. Your marriage certificate is in English, so the chances are slightly higher, but I'm not convinced that they would notice. 

I feel like telling you to submit an incorrect document is bad advice but here I go. I'd go with it, and in the meantime, ask to get it corrected. If you do get an RFE, you'll have one to send same day. 

Thanks a lot! It’s really frustrating, but we have to deal with it anyway. We’re thinking to send our current marriage license with the aos package, apply for a new corrected one and also attach a letter to our aos package explaining that it was a mistake made in a marriage certificate and we applied for a new one (attach a copy of the application form to the package as well). If we get rfe we obviously will be ready to send them the copy of the new marriage license. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

We are going to send our package within next days :) Just sent the request of amending our marriage certificate (my dad's name) and we're going to include the copy to our package. Since we thing we should also attach an explanation letter about the mistake in the certificate I am wondering whether anyone has an example of this letter? Should we follow certain rules or just make it easy and kind of informal?

• 3 years later...

Hi 

I am having a similar situation as you! Just want to see how did it go with your application? Did you end up sending the marriage certificate with typo? Did they notice or  request rfe

please let me know as this can help me so much! 🙏

thank you 

Hi 

I am having a similar situation as you! Just want to see how did it go with your application? Did you end up sending the marriage certificate with typo? Did they notice or  request rfe

please let me know as this can help me so much! 🙏

thank you 

• 11 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.