Lizzy_1994

K1 visa how much evidence is needed

13 posts in this topic

My fiancé and I have been in a relationship for two years. He is from Morocco and we took many pictures and we have a lot of chats . My question is how many pictures do we need for our process? And how many pages of conversations ? 

We don’t want to over do it but we also don’t want to risk our process. Any suggestions?

Side note: (I have been to Morocco twice )

Edited by Lizzy_1994

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

When I went through the proccess, I only submitted 10 pictures of me and my wife(fiance at the time obviously).  As far as chat logs, I had about 10 pages spanding over a period of different dates, about a year's worth I believe, but the embassy didn't ask to see it.  As long as you submit proof of pictures physically being together, also things like plane tickets, hotel receipts and passport stamps, you will be fine.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lizzy_1994 said:

My fiancé and I have been in a relationship for two years. He is from Morocco and we took many pictures and we have a lot of chats . My question is how many pictures do we need for our process? And how many pages of conversations ? 

We don’t want to over do it but we also don’t want to risk our process. Any suggestions?

For the petition?

Pictures and chats are secondary,  facetime and as much of it  as you can possibly do is better 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We had a IR1 visa.  But with the petition we included our marriage certificate.  I think we sent about 15 pictures with each one labeled as to who was in the photo and the date.   We had lots of pictures of us with his family.  I sent passport stamps and plane tickets.  I sent evidence of the phone calls we made.   And we had about 10 pages of chat that covered the span of our relationship.  My husband took additional evidence of more visits to the interview along with copies of everything we had sent in the petition.  He was approved and they didn't ask to see anything he brought.   Morocco is tough so make sure you have as many visits as possible. I do wonder if you have considered the spouse visa as it has the benefit of being able to work and travel as soon as you get here.  My husband wanted to work right away so we went that route.   You can decide what is best for you. Oh and the spouse visa is cheaper than the K1.  Good luck on whatever you decide.  I think I heard somewhere on here that it is tougher to get a K1 visa in Morocco but I'm not sure about that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Quality rather the quantity especially with a high fraud consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Oliversmom said:

We had a IR1 visa.  But with the petition we included our marriage certificate.  I think we sent about 15 pictures with each one labeled as to who was in the photo and the date.   We had lots of pictures of us with his family.  I sent passport stamps and plane tickets.  I sent evidence of the phone calls we made.   And we had about 10 pages of chat that covered the span of our relationship.  My husband took additional evidence of more visits to the interview along with copies of everything we had sent in the petition.  He was approved and they didn't ask to see anything he brought.   Morocco is tough so make sure you have as many visits as possible. I do wonder if you have considered the spouse visa as it has the benefit of being able to work and travel as soon as you get here.  My husband wanted to work right away so we went that route.   You can decide what is best for you. Oh and the spouse visa is cheaper than the K1.  Good luck on whatever you decide.  I think I heard somewhere on here that it is tougher to get a K1 visa in Morocco but I'm not sure about that.

I have considered doing the spousal visa, and my lawyer told me it’s not a huge difference with costs. I’m currently doing this alone with no lawyer. The wedding part is what makes the spousal visa more expensive . 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lizzy_1994 said:

I have considered doing the spousal visa, and my lawyer told me it’s not a huge difference with costs. I’m currently doing this alone with no lawyer. The wedding part is what makes the spousal visa more expensive . 

There are many factors to a decision about which visa, and all attorneys don't give good advice.

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    A little faster arrival in the US (currently about 4.5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
   A little slower arrival in the US (currently about 4.5 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

@DaveAndAnastasia Does the time difference look better now?

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

We submitted about 8 photos with our packet. All at different stages in the relationship, so my husband had different hair cuts and beard lengths. But in our case, I was living in England with him at the time. For your case however, I would focus more on things such as ticket stubs of places you've been together, boarding passes, hotel receipts. Just to really prove an on going relationship! Hope that helps!

14 hours ago, Ash&Jaye said:

We submitted about 8 photos with our packet. All at different stages in the relationship, so my husband had different hair cuts and beard lengths. But in our case, I was living in England with him at the time. For your case however, I would focus more on things such as ticket stubs of places you've been together, boarding passes, hotel receipts. Just to really prove an on going relationship! Hope that helps!

Thank you ☺️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
23 hours ago, Lizzy_1994 said:

Side note: (I have been to Morocco twice )

We submitted about 16 pictures along with I-129f and we put always 2 pictures on 1 page. Additionally, we wrote down exactly when and where the picture was taken as well as the names of people in the picture and how these people are related to us (for example when there was a picture with my or his whole family, we said "left to right: Person XY (brother of petitioner), etc."

Also, try to provide pictures of every month if you have seen each other for a couple of months. If it was just weeks, then I would provide 1 picture for every week.  In regards to chat logs, we did not send any with the I-129f petition and it didn't matter. I am now preparing some for the interview, although they will probably not ask for it.

21 hours ago, Lizzy_1994 said:

I think your lawyer gave you some fairly crappy advice.

In the long run, K1 is definitely more expensive...not only because you then have to apply for AOS after your fiancé has come over and you’ve got married (and pay for that, of course) - but also, because your fiancé won’t be able to work for the first 4-6 months or so after arriving in America (whereas on a CR1, he’d be able to work almost straight away). Having an extra person in the house and all the costs associated with that, isn’t cheap - and you’d have to soak those costs up if you do a K1...

You’ve mentioned that the wedding would make the CR1 more expensive - and yes, you would have to pay for that now, rather than in a year’s time...but the wedding/marriage can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be - and either way, you’re going to have to pay one eventually, whether you do CR1 or K1.

And lastly, the amount of threads on here about K1 visas being denied in Morocco...it’s pretty high to say the least. Honestly, have a search. Is there any guarantee you’d be successful? No. And if the visa is denied, that’s it. The money you’ve spent on it is gone and you’ve wasted a year.

Sorry if that sounds negative, but I’m just very surprised to hear your lawyer say that - actually, I’m not surprised, but I don’t think you’ve been given a clear reflection of the whole picture...

Definitely take a look in the Moroccan sub-forum on here - getting a visa there is a very different ballgame to getting a visa from the UK for example. Sad but true.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Without any other information natural to assume the norm and if the norm is the case a K1 would not be a good idea.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.