Market

Successful Expedited EAD and AP 2019 - Detailed Timeline

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to the VisaJourney community and everyone who has ever shared their timelines and experiences. Because we saw one post here about successfully expediting the travel document due to wedding outside the US and that was one of the reasons why we tried it because we had nothing to lose.

Below are my detailed timeline and process (which took 46 DAYS from the time we requested the expedite by calling USCIS until card in hand) notes in case anyone is/will be in the same boat as I was.

Timeline:

• 12/5: Submitted I-485, I-765 and I-131 applications
  • 12/7: Received NOA1 in mail, application being processed by National Benefits Center
  • 12/31: Biometrics appointment completed
  • 03/23: Called USCIS and submitted service request to expedite I-131 on the basis of Severe Financial Loss (We didn´t know exactly how to define the expediting reason, because everywhere on the Internet there are posts and infromation that the wedding isn´t a reason for the expedition, but we chose this, because the wedding is also a big waste of money (and this will be OUR wedding, for our families) If it doesn´t take place, but we didn't focus on the money at all in our COVER LETTER!!!!!!!!!(this is very important I guess), we also didn´t use the word WEDDING in the cover letter.)
  • 03/25: Email response from USCIS asking for supporting documents for request to expedite: "Upon receipt of your request for expeditious processing, your case was reviewed and a determination was made that we need additional information to make a decision regarding your request. Please fax proof of a pending job offer to ###-###-####, Attn:  AA####, Div #, Team #."
  • 04/02: Faxed over supporting documents to USCIS fax number provided in email response
    1. Cover Letter;
    2. USCIS Email Response Above (they request you include in your fax);
    3. Other documents why we needed to have my case expedited such as my airline ticket to Europe, rental contracts for wedding venue, invoices from contractors for the wedding, everything was officially translated (which was required and mandatory)
  • 4/10: Got notification, that my case for I-485 is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview.
  • 4/12: Email response from USCIS: "We received your request to expedite the decision on your application. Your case is currently under review. You will receive a decision or notice of further action shortly. My case status online changed:
    1. On April 12, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, was completed.
    2. On April 12, 2019, we sent a response to your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
    3. On April 12, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, was assigned to an officer for response.
  • 04/30/2019: Case status online changed to "Card in Production"!
  • 05/03/2019: Case status online changed to "Card was mailed to me"
  • 05/08/2019: AP card in hand!

I believe a good cover letter can really make a difference and “No legacy is so rich as honesty.” Because We didn´t focuse on MONEY in the cover letter, my husband (american citizen) comes from Slovakia, so it could also help, because he still has family in Slovakia. We focused on what it means for us If We don´t get my travel permit soon, our disappointment, emotional loss etc.. We tried to make the USCIS officers emphatize with our difficult situation. I think It can really help. They are just people, and it really depends WHO IS GOING TO READ THE COVER LETTER and who is going to hold it in their hands and decide, that´s what We think. Also, we didn't have a lawyer or a congressman to help us. 

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! :) 

M.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Conrats. I just don't want other people to get too much hope though or plan things because someone got an approval. It can vary greatly by who also reviews your expedite. So people still should never assume they can just get an expedite for something because someone else did. Nothing is guaranteed.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

Conrats. I just don't want other people to get too much hope though or plan things because someone got an approval. It can vary greatly by who also reviews your expedite. So people still should never assume they can just get an expedite for something because someone else did. Nothing is guaranteed.

This is true and thank you for your response!!!! I forgot to mention it.  

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I do hope that this isn't standard practice for USCIS. We all have to wait in line, and it doesn't seem fair to me that someone can receive their EAD (did you get a combo card or just AP?) quicker just because they planned a wedding out of the country, while they should know that traveling is not possible during the first months after arriving in the US on a K1.

Again, I am glad for you, but it really is not fair for everyone else who follows the rules and accepts that traveling or working is not possible in the beginning. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Congratulations on getting your AP!

As far as the expedite request, could it be coincidence? Your application was sent beginning of December, and you received approval beginning of May. That's 5 months. Official processing time for I-131 is 5-7 months right now, so this could have been standard. 

Did you receive a message after: "your request to have your case expedited ... was assigned to an officer for response." Were you informed that the expedite request itself was approved? That would be interesting to know.

AOS from J-1
2/26/2018    I-130 / I-485 / I-765 / I-131 packet sent
3/12/2018    NOA1

4/02/2018    Biometrics
7/17/2018    EAD & AP approved
9/20/2018    Interview - Approved!

9/28/2018    Green card in hand

ROC
6/26/2020    I-751 packet sent

6/29/2020    Case received
7/03/2020    WAC case number

7/29/2020    Submitted SR for non-delivery of notice

8/04/2020    NOA1 notice date

8/13/2020    Received NOA1

1/06/2021    Case transferred to NBC

1/21/2021    Fingerprints applied - no bio appt

6/23/2021    Approved! - New card ordered

Naturalization
9/04/2022    N-400 submitted online

9/04/2022    NOA1 + Biometrics reused

11/8/2022    Interview scheduled

Timeline
7 minutes ago, MariekeH said:

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I do hope that this isn't standard practice for USCIS. We all have to wait in line, and it doesn't seem fair to me that someone can receive their EAD (did you get a combo card or just AP?) quicker just because they planned a wedding out of the country, while they should know that traveling is not possible during the first months after arriving in the US on a K1.

Again, I am glad for you, but it really is not fair for everyone else who follows the rules and accepts that traveling or working is not possible in the beginning. 

Thanks. I don't know if this is a standard procedure or not, anyone can apply for expediting, it costs nothing, just effort and a lot of frustration ( i mean A LOT) . The processing times have shifted for another three months and we didn´t expected it year ago when we started to plan the wedding, so we wanted to try it, although we didn't count with success in the expediting process. We followed the rules and we did not plan this situation in advance. I think anyone who would have a similar problem would try it instead of to give up....

Timeline
7 minutes ago, mnk said:

Congratulations on getting your AP!

As far as the expedite request, could it be coincidence? Your application was sent beginning of December, and you received approval beginning of May. That's 5 months. Official processing time for I-131 is 5-7 months right now, so this could have been standard. 

Did you receive a message after: "your request to have your case expedited ... was assigned to an officer for response." Were you informed that the expedite request itself was approved? That would be interesting to know.

Thank you very much and thank you for the interesting point, even this is possible that it was a coincidence, but depending on when I was checking the expediting timelines other people  It seems that USCIS does not inform that the expedite was approved, they only change your case status online, that´s it. I've been checking every single timeline here and people really don´t share information about expditing approvals. 
But everything is possible....yes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Market said:

Thank you very much and thank you for the interesting point, even this is possible that it was a coincidence, but depending on when I was checking the expediting timelines other people  It seems that USCIS does not inform that the expedite was approved, they only change your case status online, that´s it. I've been checking every single timeline here and people really don´t share information about expditing approvals. 
But everything is possible....yes

There is only so much we can figure out from the information they give us. If the process were transparent and easy to understand, there wouldn't be so many questions and need for shared experiences here on VJ!

You did get you AP relatively quickly, which is great. And you are right, it doesn't hurt or cost anything to request. Great info on how you made the request and the process.

Edited by mnk

AOS from J-1
2/26/2018    I-130 / I-485 / I-765 / I-131 packet sent
3/12/2018    NOA1

4/02/2018    Biometrics
7/17/2018    EAD & AP approved
9/20/2018    Interview - Approved!

9/28/2018    Green card in hand

ROC
6/26/2020    I-751 packet sent

6/29/2020    Case received
7/03/2020    WAC case number

7/29/2020    Submitted SR for non-delivery of notice

8/04/2020    NOA1 notice date

8/13/2020    Received NOA1

1/06/2021    Case transferred to NBC

1/21/2021    Fingerprints applied - no bio appt

6/23/2021    Approved! - New card ordered

Naturalization
9/04/2022    N-400 submitted online

9/04/2022    NOA1 + Biometrics reused

11/8/2022    Interview scheduled

Timeline
5 minutes ago, mnk said:

There is only so much we can figure out from the information they give us. If the process were transparent and easy to understand, there wouldn't be so many questions and need for shared experiences here on VJ!

You did get you AP relatively quickly, which is great. And you are right, it doesn't hurt or cost anything to request. Great info on how you made the request and the process.

Exactly, nobody really knows the particular USCIS procedure and it  may seem unfair to someone but If so and people are on the same boat as I was, they can try it because really there is nothing to lose. Thank you very much again and I believe and hope that we are a community here to support. (L)

Timeline
47 minutes ago, MariekeH said:

37 minutes ago, Market said:

Thanks. I don't know if this is a standard procedure or not, anyone can apply for expediting, it costs nothing, just effort and a lot of frustration ( i mean A LOT) . The processing times have shifted for another three months and we didn´t expected it year ago when we started to plan the wedding, so we wanted to try it, although we didn't count with success in the expediting process. We followed the rules and we did not plan this situation in advance. I think anyone who would have a similar problem would try it instead of to give up....

Oh, I see on your timeline that you requested for expediting too, so I don't understand it seems unfair to you when you were in similar situation.... And yes, I got combo card, although I only requested expediting for a travel permit, but USCIS doesn´t  issue the travel permit separately.....

51 minutes ago, Market said:

Oh, I see on your timeline that you requested for expediting too, so I don't understand it seems unfair to you when you were in similar situation.... And yes, I got combo card, although I only requested expediting for a travel permit, but USCIS doesn´t  issue the travel permit separately.....

I don't believe our situations were similar. To me, there is a big difference between planning a trip knowing that you can't leave the country, and being offered a job after already waiting for an EAD for 6 months.

Again, I'm glad it worked out for you. But I also hope this will not encourage others to just plan to travel thinking that an expedite is easy.

2 hours ago, Market said:

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to the VisaJourney community and everyone who has ever shared their timelines and experiences. Because we saw one post here about successfully expediting the travel document due to wedding outside the US and that was one of the reasons why we tried it because we had nothing to lose.

Below are my detailed timeline and process (which took 46 DAYS from the time we requested the expedite by calling USCIS until card in hand) notes in case anyone is/will be in the same boat as I was.

Timeline:

• 12/5: Submitted I-485, I-765 and I-131 applications
  • 12/7: Received NOA1 in mail, application being processed by National Benefits Center
  • 12/31: Biometrics appointment completed
  • 03/23: Called USCIS and submitted service request to expedite I-131 on the basis of Severe Financial Loss (We didn´t know exactly how to define the expediting reason, because everywhere on the Internet there are posts and infromation that the wedding isn´t a reason for the expedition, but we chose this, because the wedding is also a big waste of money (and this will be OUR wedding, for our families) If it doesn´t take place, but we didn't focus on the money at all in our COVER LETTER!!!!!!!!!(this is very important I guess), we also didn´t use the word WEDDING in the cover letter.)
  • 03/25: Email response from USCIS asking for supporting documents for request to expedite: "Upon receipt of your request for expeditious processing, your case was reviewed and a determination was made that we need additional information to make a decision regarding your request. Please fax proof of a pending job offer to ###-###-####, Attn:  AA####, Div #, Team #."
  • 04/02: Faxed over supporting documents to USCIS fax number provided in email response
    1. Cover Letter;
    2. USCIS Email Response Above (they request you include in your fax);
    3. Other documents why we needed to have my case expedited such as my airline ticket to Europe, rental contracts for wedding venue, invoices from contractors for the wedding, everything was officially translated (which was required and mandatory)
  • 4/10: Got notification, that my case for I-485 is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview.
  • 4/12: Email response from USCIS: "We received your request to expedite the decision on your application. Your case is currently under review. You will receive a decision or notice of further action shortly. My case status online changed:
    1. On April 12, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, was completed.
    2. On April 12, 2019, we sent a response to your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
    3. On April 12, 2019, your request to have your case expedited, referral number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, was assigned to an officer for response.
  • 04/30/2019: Case status online changed to "Card in Production"!
  • 05/03/2019: Case status online changed to "Card was mailed to me"
  • 05/08/2019: AP card in hand!

I believe a good cover letter can really make a difference and “No legacy is so rich as honesty.” Because We didn´t focuse on MONEY in the cover letter, my husband (american citizen) comes from Slovakia, so it could also help, because he still has family in Slovakia. We focused on what it means for us If We don´t get my travel permit soon, our disappointment, emotional loss etc.. We tried to make the USCIS officers emphatize with our difficult situation. I think It can really help. They are just people, and it really depends WHO IS GOING TO READ THE COVER LETTER and who is going to hold it in their hands and decide, that´s what We think. Also, we didn't have a lawyer or a congressman to help us. 

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! :) 

M.

I was chatting with an immigration attorney and he was saying that he rarely sees anyone's request for expediting the process get approved. You guys are lucky and your case probably ended up with one of the few good officers at USCIS. Congrats!

Naturalization

Day 000 - 12/28/2023 Package Filed

Day 000 - 12/28/2023 Biometrics Reused

Day 038 - 02/03/2024 Interview Notice

Day 085 - 03/21/2024 N-400 Interview

Day 085 - 03/21/2024 Oath Scheduled

Day 117 - 04/22/2024 Oath Ceremony

ROC 

Day 000 - 10/04/2021 Package mailed

Day 002 - 10/06/2021 Package arrived at Phoenix PO Box

Day 002 - 10/06/2021 NOA1 Date

Day 004 - 10/08/2021 Credit card charged

Day 012 - 10/16/2021 NOA1 Received

Day 016 - 10/20/2021 Notification that biometrics were waived

Day 035 - 11/08/2021 Biometrics waived NOA received

Day 696 - 08/31/2023 NOA Approval Received

Day 702 - 09/06/2023 Green card in hand

AOS 

Day 000 - 04/08/2019 Package mailed

Day 001 - 04/09/2019 Packaged delivered to Chicago Lockbox via Fedex

Day 010 - 04/17/2019 Check cashed

Day 035 - 05/12/2019 NOA1 received in the mail

Day 047 - 05/24/2019 Biometrics notice received in the mail for 06/05/2019

Day 051 - 05/28/2019 Biometrics - Early walk-in

Day 119 - 08/02/2019 InfoPass to apply for Emergency AP (Approved)

Day 120 - 08/03/2019 EAD Card in production

Day 179 - 10/03/2019 Interview Notice

Day 213 - 11/06/2019 Interview 

Day 219 - 11/12/2019 I-130 & I-485 Approval Notice Received (Approved 11/06/2019)

Day 220 - 11/13/2019 Email Notification (Card was mailed)

Day 221 - 11/14/2019 Green card in hand

Timeline
4 hours ago, march16filer said:

I was chatting with an immigration attorney and he was saying that he rarely sees anyone's request for expediting the process get approved. You guys are lucky and your case probably ended up with one of the few good officers at USCIS. Congrats!

Thank you very much, I also read that immigration attornies are skeptical about expediting requests, but people can do it without them, I don´t know, we were so disappointed that I won´t be able to travel so we just tried and as you wrote, probably a few good officers at USCIS.🌹

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We were denied emergency AP for two family members hit by a car while riding tandem on a scooter. After the denied it the supervisor said we could expedite if they had evidence to show why my wife needed to go. So I guess the photos of her mother and sister with each with a broken appendage isn't enough for emergency paraole and also apparently not enough for expedited without more evidence.

I'd say the OP was very lucky.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't want to start a new thread, since I know there are tons of these. Does anyone know if student loans are grounds for expidition on financial loss? My husband's loans are coming due and it's $600 a month. Since he has moved from Canada he is no longer allowed to negotiate the cost. I'm worried that if we file for financial loss it will negatively impact his Greencard application since I'm his sponsor. I make well over the limit, but because of this extra cost we are really struggling. Now our estimate EAD approval has moved back three months and we did not plan for him to be unemployed this long. He has a very prestigious engineering degree and would be a very great asset to the US workforce, it's amazing to be that they punish legal immigrants by making them wait so long to work. He doesn't want to ruin his chances with big engineering firms here by applying and just hoping he can get expidited with a job offer, since a lot of companies just don't want to deal with that. I'm at a loss. I think applying for financial loss may be our best bet to expidition of EAD, but as I said, I'm worried it could impact AOS

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: April 5, 2019 
NOA 1: April 12, 2019
Biometrics Appointment: May 8, 2019
RFIE Rec'd: June 21, 2019 - Request for long form birth certificate

RFIE Reply Sent: July 16, 2019
AOS Interview Date: October 3, 2019, APPROVED 

Green card Received: October 10, 2019

i-751 Filed: September 21, 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.