mich923

I-130 Affidavit of Personal Knowledge of Relationship

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, mich923 said:

Thank you! I will look into doing that. I think I can apply for a ITIN number now.

the only time you can apply for this is tax time 

it is connected and sent it with the returns

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

When our CR1 case was returned in 2017 the paper received was generic and did not state a reason for denial we had to wait for the NOIR.  Since a k-1 you will not be getting a NOIR you can attempt to file a FOIA with USCIS requesting the consular notes.  If you haven't already I would sit down with your husband and narrate the entire interview.   Get every little detail from him down to the facial expressions made from the CO's or any condescending comments.    At our interview we had an idea of what the issue was even though we didn't get the full picture until we received the NOIR.   We had the issue resolved within two weeks after the interview but were unable to get the embassy to do a review but I think the timely matter of the document processing helped in our our reaffirmation.

Personally, I do not think adding a name of the other person to bank account or credit card when that person does not live in US carries much weight: petitioner can prevent beneficiary accessing the fund/or the fund just cannot be accessed outside of US.  Accounts can be closed or beneficiary name can be removed easily. At least it was the cases with 2 of my brothers, 5 of my uncles (some married twice), and I (also married twice):  still got visas approved. 

However, I do see filing tax return bring more value. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

When our CR1 case was returned in 2017 the paper received was generic and did not state a reason for denial we had to wait for the NOIR.  Since a k-1 you will not be getting a NOIR you can attempt to file a FOIA with USCIS requesting the consular notes.  If you haven't already I would sit down with your husband and narrate the entire interview.   Get every little detail from him down to the facial expressions made from the CO's or any condescending comments.    At our interview we had an idea of what the issue was even though we didn't get the full picture until we received the NOIR.   We had the issue resolved within two weeks after the interview but were unable to get the embassy to do a review but I think the timely matter of the document processing helped in our our reaffirmation.

The one thing my husband said that confused him was that the CO asked why we didn't get married already since we have been together for 3 years at that point. We didn't understand why he asked that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
4 hours ago, mich923 said:

The one thing my husband said that confused him was that the CO asked why we didn't get married already since we have been together for 3 years at that point. We didn't understand why he asked that.

They are typically tough on K-1s in Pakistan if they feel they had a lot of alone time without a marriage.  Since culturally being alone with someone of the opposite sex is generally not acceptable by the family and most hotels don't let couples stay without the marriage documentation.  They could have felt you were already married and just attempting a quicker route with the k-1.  

Is he is the oldest son? What age bracket?  

Reading through your post the prior marriage could have caused some extra scrutiny as well.  Make sure you know and understand the details of that divorce.

Until you are able to get an answer on why it was denied (if you do) you need to make sure there isn't any other information that could be missed.   I'd hate to see you get to the interview and it come up again.  Put your heads together :)

Good luck with everything!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

They are typically tough on K-1s in Pakistan if they feel they had a lot of alone time without a marriage.  Since culturally being alone with someone of the opposite sex is generally not acceptable by the family and most hotels don't let couples stay without the marriage documentation.  They could have felt you were already married and just attempting a quicker route with the k-1.  

Is he is the oldest son? What age bracket?  

Reading through your post the prior marriage could have caused some extra scrutiny as well.  Make sure you know and understand the details of that divorce.

Until you are able to get an answer on why it was denied (if you do) you need to make sure there isn't any other information that could be missed.   I'd hate to see you get to the interview and it come up again.  Put your heads together :)

Good luck with everything!

I only had 1 visit when I applied for the k-1, and now we have 3 visits. For the second and third visit, we stayed with his family, and I get along very well with his family. 

He is the oldest son and he is 5 years older than me. So I don't think the age difference is too big, as that's pretty average in Pakistan. 

Another question was that the CO asked of we were different religions. At the time, we were but now I converted without him forcing me to.

I do think the prior divorce might have raised something as we had a k-1 but that was finalized before we met in person. And on our marriage certificate it says we are both unmarried at the time of our ceremony.

Thank you for your help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Affidavits by themselves don't really carry weight so add a couple if you want. Proof of physical face time carries more weight - i.e  passport stamps, hotel receipts, boarding passes etc. You'll still need to get to the bottom of why K-1 was denied.

15 hours ago, nguoivietnam2019 said:

Personally, I do not think adding a name of the other person to bank account or credit card when that person does not live in US carries much weight: petitioner can prevent beneficiary accessing the fund/or the fund just cannot be accessed outside of US.  Accounts can be closed or beneficiary name can be removed easily. At least it was the cases with 2 of my brothers, 5 of my uncles (some married twice), and I (also married twice):  still got visas approved. 

However, I do see filing tax return bring more value. 

Ive never been able to add or remove someone from a joint bank account or credit card without their consent.  

Of course names on an account without usage would be worth less but not worthless. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
23 hours ago, mich923 said:

Hi everyone,

Originally, I filed for the K-1 visa for my fiance at the time, but it was denied. So we recently got married in Pakistan, and are planning to file for the I-130 for my husband. 

We are going to ask some relatives and friends who attended the wedding to write affidavits of our relationship. How many should people should we ask to write these affidavits?

That happened to me in Egypt. But the officer didn't say my visa was denied. They never told us the reason. We waited for the letter from the USCIS ,  but they sent a termination letter , it stated that we can either file k1 again or get married and file CR1..

We got married and we couldn't have bank account together in Egypt or the US. We did the third part affidavits with other proofs. 9 visits, pictures, hotel bills etc...

We did 7 affidavits from his side and my side.  We got approved and I'm waiting for the interview email inshAllah.

Good luck in your journey :)

Edited by Nody

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Nody said:

That happened to me in Egypt. But the officer didn't say my visa was denied. They never told us the reason. We waited for the letter from the USCIS ,  but they sent a termination letter , it stated that we can either file k1 again or get married and file CR1..

We got married and we couldn't have bank account together in Egypt or the US. We did the third part affidavits with other proofs. 9 visits, pictures, hotel bills etc...

We did 7 affidavits from his side and my side.  We got approved and I'm waiting for the interview email inshAllah.

Good luck in your journey :)

Thank you! Good luck to you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 5/8/2019 at 7:49 AM, mich923 said:

Hi everyone,

Originally, I filed for the K-1 visa for my fiance at the time, but it was denied. So we recently got married in Pakistan, and are planning to file for the I-130 for my husband. 

We are going to ask some relatives and friends who attended the wedding to write affidavits of our relationship. How many should people should we ask to write these affidavits?

Same thing happened to us. And we are planning to go that route of cr1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.