portorusa

K-1 proof of meeting?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Can one be requested by walking into the border office?

I don't know, maybe. I will let him know about this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Later on at the interview but not a requirement for the petition to be approved 

Very true! And still, very forced.

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/17/19 - AOS Packet Mailed

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

08/16/19 - Biometric Appt.

09/25/19 - Interview Ready to be Scheduled

10/16/19 - Interview was Scheduled

12/05/19 - Interview Day

❤️ From Worlds Apart... to a Lifetime Together!! ❤️

3 minutes ago, portorusa said:

That's his concern also (that in the eyes of USCIS it will look suspicious). But there is no money involved. He thinks he's madly in love with the lady and is willing to take a risk. 

There is also an issue of an age gap (he is 72 y.o. , she is 32 y.o).

The communication is through Skype only (calls and video-calls). How can they prove those?

They have a host of red flags.  Not every green card marriage involves an exchange of money.

But think about it.....would it be normal to proceed with marrying someone from one's hometown that had met once for a drink in a bar?  Like a local Tinder date?  

There is no call to 'prove communication' via Skype or otherwise for the petition.

Edited by Jorgedig

Just now, portorusa said:

That's his concern also (that in the eyes of USCIS it will look suspicious). But there is no money involved. He thinks he's madly in love with the lady and is willing to take a risk. 

Money is not needed for marriage or immigration fraud. I'm not saying that is the case here, but it certainly does not exclude it.

He thinks he is madly in love. What does she think? The CO will need to evaluate the entire relationship, not just try to determine his feelings.

Just now, portorusa said:

Depends on local customs if this will draw scrutiny.

I'm no expert with Mexico, but a 40 year age gap like that will probably draw a concern if she is just marrying for a green card.

Maybe it's real. Maybe she's a gold digger (it's not illegal!). But the CO must be convinced that she is not marrying for a green card, not prove that is her intent.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, portorusa said:

The communication is through Skype only (calls and video-calls). How can they prove those?

Won't be a concern for the uscis but it will be later at the consulate 

YMMV

Timeline

She applied for a tourist visa to USA twice, and was denied. Gold-digger, no - his income is low, and she knows that. They will need a joint sponsor from the US for sure, and she says she can find one. She is also willing to pay for the immigration papers (works as a realtor in Mexico).

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

OP, if he is 72, presumably he is retired.  Instead of meeting for a one-time drink and then filing, why does he not travel to her town and spend some actual time with her?  At his age, he should know that you don't marry someone after spending a few hours in a bar with them!

For two reasons: He doesn't have enough money to travel, and also he is afraid to travel to Mexico (personal security issue).

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

If it's possible, I would suggest to your friend that he have you or another friend accompany him on his visit to Nogales, for safety reasons. At 72 years of age it's a good idea to have a travel companion to Mexico especially considering he is meeting a person he met online for the first time.

Yes, he is considering that also (bringing a friend or two with him).

Edited by portorusa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
46 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Passport entry stamp?

You don't get those when crossing to Mexico and staying in the border zone. Same for US side, they don't stamp either.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, junkmart said:

You don't get those when crossing to Mexico and staying in the border zone. Same for US side, they don't stamp either.

What happens if you cross and leave the border zone?

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What happens if you cross and leave the border zone?

You would go to the port of entry or other office and get a FMM travel permit. It’s similar to an I-94 and should be turned in when exiting the country, although I never have. I’ve also had entry stamps placed in my passport when flying from a border zone airport to Mexico City. Never had an exit stamp.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.