portorusa

K-1 proof of meeting?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I ask the wise people of this Forum on behalf of my friend. He is a US citizen who lives in Arizona. He's been communicating for a few months with a lady from Mexico whom he found on a dating site. The two plan to meet for the first time in Nogales, Sonora (Mexico). My friend will drive himself to the border, cross the border on foot, spend a couple of hours with the lady in a bar or restaurant in Nogales, where they'll have a drink, chat, take photos of each other, then part their ways. After which (provided they liked each other in person) he plans to file for K-1/K-2 for her and her little child.

Question: What evidence of their personal meeting (apart from photos) can he submit to prove it happened within last 2 years? Obviously, there will be no boarding passes, hotel receipts, or things like that...

Edited by portorusa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, portorusa said:

I ask the wise people of this Forum on behalf of my friend. He is a US citizen who lives in Arizona. He's been communicating for a few months with a lady who lives in Mexico who he found on the dating site. The two plan to meet for the first time in Nogales, Sonora (Mexico). My friend will drive himself to the border, cross the border on foot, spend a couple of hours with the lady in a bar or restaurant in Nogales, they have a drink, chat, take photos of each other, then part their ways. After which (provided they liked each other in person) he plans to file for K-1/K-2 for her and her little child.

Question: What evidence of their personal meeting (apart from photos) can he submit to prove it happened within last 2 years? Obviously, there will be no boarding passes, hotel receipts, or things like that...

Passport entry stamp?

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Maybe a receipt from the bar they meet at? Chances are it will be dated and time stamped  

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/17/19 - AOS Packet Mailed

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

08/16/19 - Biometric Appt.

09/25/19 - Interview Ready to be Scheduled

10/16/19 - Interview was Scheduled

12/05/19 - Interview Day

❤️ From Worlds Apart... to a Lifetime Together!! ❤️

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Passport entry stamp?

There will be NO passport entry stamp. While on foot, you just leave the US side freely without showing your passport to anyone.

I believe it's only while crossing the border back to the States, you show your passport to a border patrol officer.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Tara & Rohit said:

Maybe a receipt from the bar they meet at? Chances are it will be dated and time stamped  

It's an idea, thanks. But how can he prove that he had a drink in that bar with the beneficiary and say, not with somebody else?

Timeline

It's an idea, thanks. But how can he prove that he had a drink in that bar with the beneficiary and say, not with somebody else?

Photos of each other at the bar I would assume

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

12/05/19 - Interview Day

2 minutes ago, portorusa said:

There will be NO passport entry stamp. While on foot, you just leave the US side freely without showing your passport to anyone.

I believe it's only while crossing the border back to the States, you show your passport to a border patrol officer.

Tell them to take a picture outside the restaurant, keep the receipt on that restaurant, it shows the date. Or they could visit a known park or place there then take another picture. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, portorusa said:

Can one be requested by walking into the border office?

YMMV

Timeline

He is asking if he can use a local newspaper (current issue) in the photo with the lady? As a proof or geo-localization.

I understand that they want to show proof of meeting within two years... but it's also important to show proof of a legitimate relationship. A photo that was taken in front of a newspaper doesn't really say that

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

12/05/19 - Interview Day

Timeline
Just now, Tara & Rohit said:

I understand that they want to show proof of meeting within two years... but it's also important to show proof of a legitimate relationship.

Later on at the interview but not a requirement for the petition to be approved 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, portorusa said:

He is asking if he can use a local newspaper (current issue) in the photo with the lady? As a proof or geo-localization.

It would be better if they go to a place that is known there. I've seen denials from application because the USCIS are not convince that the petitioner didn't visit the beneficiary even if they have pics together. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

So he hasn't met her yet, plans to go for a casual drink in Mexico, take some pics, and he already knows he wants to marry her?  That sounds like a green card arrangement to me.

That's his concern also (that in the eyes of USCIS it will look suspicious). But there is no money involved. He thinks he's madly in love with the lady and is willing to take a risk. 

There is also an issue of an age gap (he is 72 y.o. , she is 32 y.o).

The communication is through Skype only (calls and video-calls). How can they prove those?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.