Jump to content

Paying Social Security Question

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it. My (now wife, yay!) Is Japanese and in Japan, they start paying social security every month once they turn 20, regardless of having a job or not. In Japan it's called 厚生年金. Her mom says they stopped paying it in Japan but we need to start paying it in America. Am I missing something? I thought we only pay in America once we start working.


Thank you for the help guys!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is likely a question best answered by the Social Security Administration.



Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread is moved from the "AOS from K Visas" main forum to the "Moving to the US" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

America is not Japan. 


Social security taxes are paid on earned income and will be deducted from your paycheck.  


Generally you don’t need to worry about it.


Two exceptions, and both have to do with tax filing.  


1. You work two or more different jobs in a year and your total income exceeds the social security income maximum. You will have over paid your ss tax and and it will be credited back to you in your tax return. 


2. You are self employed and you have to pay self employment tax since social security tax is not automatically collected just like income tax. At low income levels SE tax far  exceeds income tax and many first time self employed people are shocked and awed when they find they the IRS vast sums of money.  Good rule of thumb is to reserve 30 percent of revenues   for taxes (SE, federal income, state income ). 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BowseRx said:

I thought we only pay in America once we start working.


You are correct. If she never works, she never pays. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, BowseRx said:

in Japan, they start paying social security every month once they turn 20, regardless of having a job or not. In Japan it's called 厚生年金


厚生年金 (Kosei Nenkin) is paid by employers and is deducted out of your salary. There's also Kokumin Nenkin (National Pension) which is similar but has fewer benefits, can also be deducted or paid for directly. As you mention nenkin participation is mandatory even if you're jobless although people with no income can get an exemption.




As you mention, in the US none of this is relevant, but you might want to read up on the Japan<>US totalization agreement to make sure she can get whatever benefits are due from paying into nenkin.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...