wangsit

MY B2 (tourist) Visa is rejected - No strong ties to home countries

25 posts in this topic

To be clear, working abroad is not a reason or refusal. I know quite a few people who do so and received a US tourist visa. It does present challenges though, especially if the work has only been for a few years.

Sufficient funds for the trip / payslips are positive factors IMO, but by no means can prove you will return. I can guarantee there are people earning both more and less than you that have been both approved and denied a tourist visa. Both groups of people have overstayed visas and/or violated status, too.

You can still visit each other outside the US. Yes, it will take time until you are together in the US, but make the most of what you can. Good luck.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you apply again from another consulate you'll be denied again; the records are available to the department of state to view anywhere you apply. Consulate shopping will make your situation even worse.  Perhaps, a good compromise will be for your partner to visit you instead. I met with my spouse a few times outside of the US throughout the I-130 process.

It seems as though some visa applicants think that the officers at the consulates are only apprised or become aware of their situation at the time of interviewing them and deny them without looking at additional evidence that the applicant took along to the interview.

Don't forget that all visa applicants fill out and submit an online application prior to getting an interview scheduled. The officers do their homework long before you show up to the interview and conduct their background checks. If you tell any lies at your interview (not implying that OP lied), they would know....it is all on the computer screen in front of them. ;) 

OP, I am sure they know you have a pending I-130, no ties to your birth country and being a chef, you can find work easily in the USA.....so that was possible grounds for denial of the tourist visa....immigrant intent.

It is heartbreaking and a financial loss but it happens to many applicants.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
17 hours ago, wangsit said:

Another information is

My partner and I already applied I-130 application.

However, since it was F2A case. It will take a very long time to be processed.

If anyone has a pending migration case filed for him/her from US, the chances of getting B2 visa is 0.5 out of 10 :(

18 hours ago, wangsit said:

Today, I was applying for B2(tourist) visa to visit my partner at New Zealand.
However, I was denied.

The conversation goes like this :

Staff : why are you going to USA?
Me : tourism and visiting my families.

Staff : may I see your partner details?
Me: *giving the copy of my partner green card*

Staff : what is your job?
Me : i am a chef.

Staff : where and where do you guys meet?
Me : I met my partner at church almost 3 years ago

Staff : how long have you been in NZ?
Me : almost 3 years.

Staff : sorry, we cannot give you the visa.

And he gives me yellow paper, with reason that I dont have strong ties to home countries.

"one requirement shared by many of the nonimmigrant visa categories is for the applicant to demonstrate that he/she has a residence in a foreign county which he/she has no intention of abandning. Applicationts usually meet this requirement by demonstrating that they have strong ties overseas that theywill return to a foreign country after a temporary visit to US. Such ties include professional, work, school, family, or social links to a foreign country. You have not demonstrated that you ahve the ties that will compel you to return to your home country after your travel to US."

I feel sad, and utterly defeated.
They did not even asked my supporting details,
They did not asked my bank details,
My 3 months pay slip,
My work visa in NZ till 2021, or
Our marriage certificate.

Next month, I will try once again to get B2 visa in my home country Indonesia.

However, I am sad.

I simply dont know if mentioning visiting my partner is a good idea.

Is it a good idea to mention that you are visiting USA to visit your partner?

Pls advice.

You arent alone, that happen all the time.

I was dinied tow times a tourist visa.

I was trying to visit my fiance and i was dinied , same reson, no strong tie to home country

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, mymercy said:

If anyone has a pending migration case filed for him/her from US, the chances of getting B2 visa is 0.5 out of 10 :(

Interestingly, the K-1 visa forum(s) reject this view.

Nonetheless, I agree with you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do see the odd B2 approved, so not impossible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
22 hours ago, wangsit said:

Today, I was applying for B2(tourist) visa to visit my partner at New Zealand.
However, I was denied.

The conversation goes like this :

Staff : why are you going to USA?
Me : tourism and visiting my families.

Staff : may I see your partner details?
Me: *giving the copy of my partner green card*

Staff : what is your job?
Me : i am a chef.

Staff : where and where do you guys meet?
Me : I met my partner at church almost 3 years ago

Staff : how long have you been in NZ?
Me : almost 3 years.

Staff : sorry, we cannot give you the visa.

And he gives me yellow paper, with reason that I dont have strong ties to home countries.

"one requirement shared by many of the nonimmigrant visa categories is for the applicant to demonstrate that he/she has a residence in a foreign county which he/she has no intention of abandning. Applicationts usually meet this requirement by demonstrating that they have strong ties overseas that theywill return to a foreign country after a temporary visit to US. Such ties include professional, work, school, family, or social links to a foreign country. You have not demonstrated that you ahve the ties that will compel you to return to your home country after your travel to US."

I feel sad, and utterly defeated.
They did not even asked my supporting details,
They did not asked my bank details,
My 3 months pay slip,
My work visa in NZ till 2021, or
Our marriage certificate.

Next month, I will try once again to get B2 visa in my home country Indonesia.

However, I am sad.

I simply dont know if mentioning visiting my partner is a good idea.

Is it a good idea to mention that you are visiting USA to visit your partner?

Pls advice.

Don't go back to Indonesia and apply for the B2. It would be a waste of money. I think you were rejected for the following reasons:

1. You're a single male that is in his prime working years.

2. You work in a profession that is filled with undocumented workers (those working here illegally). 

3. Your partner is here in the US, so it would be easy for you to come here, stay, and work illegally. 

4. Many Indonesians have come here, overstayed their visa, and worked illegally. You're "paying" for their behavior. Not fair perhaps, but that's the way it works. 

Have you traveled anywhere besides NZ? Any other non-ASEAN country? Just wondering because travel history sometimes helps an applicant... 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

• 2 weeks later...

I was work and traveling for 1 year in Australia.

Well, we still contacting each other.

My partner will have operation soon, so he is unlikely will go to visit me.

We will see each other next year, after the recovery.

However, since I have strong ties to USA (I-130 pending)
So, I will not try apply for tourist visa to America.

It will waste my time and money.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.