RangerNomad415

Clarity on step after DS260. Confused.

74 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I need some advice on DCF as I'm pretty damn confused so far about this. This is my first ever post on Visa Journey and I'm hoping to break my post bubble as this whole damn process is extremely extremely frustrating. Lots of bad outdated info out there, especially on Youtube. 

Quick background:

Originally born and raised in California. Moved to Asia (Shenzhen, China) in 2009. I've lived here in the Philippines full-time since 2015. Married in the Philippines September 2016. First and only son born on August 2017, now a US passport holder after CRBA. Finally filed for the I-130 Petition in Manila on March 4, 2019. Received email notice from USCIS on April 2, 2019 that they received my I-130 petition.

Completed and submitted DS-260 (am I supposed to do that?) on April 23, 2019. This is where I'm at right now. And I'm not sure what to do next. Youtube videos have shown to do DS261, then found out that's not in use anymore. Fees under CEAC say not applicable. Also I see on YouTube that you got to file DS261, but then I read here that DS261 isn't used anymore. Confused!

My mother is my joint sponsor, living in California and mailed me her I864 documents, tax returns, etc. So they are in the mail as we speak.

I'm just confused on the next step. Did I do the right thing with DS260? What is the next step? I also have not been in the US since 2009 except for a month long Hawaii visit back in 2015. So I will have to explain my domicile. Folks have been sending me income since 2009 and I have never legally worked or filed taxes since. Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation. What is the next step? When I read about DCF, it said about DS230. I have no idea on this DS230. I filed the DS260 already and wondering what is the next step. Want to get my wife and my son back to California and start a life there as my family wants my son to grow up in America (understandably) in a first world upbringing. Tips...feedback....advice....anything would be greatly appreciated.

Just came back from a trip to Malaysia with wife and am back on BB (balikbayan) visa as of now. And how do you even know you're doing DCF to begin with and not a regular filer? Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

why did mother file for you?

You are a USC

is the case for your wife?  if so,  you need to file for her/  mother can be cosponsor for support 

and did NVC say to do the DS 260

we don't do this form till case is at NVC and they say to pay the 2 fees and do the form

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I have read that DCF in Manilla will soon be terminated due to the overseas USCIS offices closing.  Is that where you sent the I-130?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Clarification: I130 is for my wife. I'm a US Citizen living here in the Philippines.

Yes I filed this I130 petition at the Manila Embassy on March 4th. That's DCF? Am I lucky to just get in before they close the office? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hank_    @Cyberfx1024   @geowrian  @payxibka

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

You really haven't worked in ten years?  Do you have a job lined up so that you can show domicile in the US and support your family?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

why did mother file for you?

You are a USC

is the case for your wife?  if so,  you need to file for her/  mother can be cosponsor for support 

and did NVC say to do the DS 260

we don't do this form till case is at NVC and they say to pay the 2 fees and do the form

He direct filed.  NO NVC.

YMMV

5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You really haven't worked in ten years?  Do you have a job lined up so that you can show domicile in the US and support your family?

When I filed I hadn't had a job for more than a year and a half. He doesn't need to show he has a job lined up. I know I didn't need that. However, he will need a co-sponsor for the financial support and of course show a place to stay.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

1 minute ago, coa24 said:

When I filed I hadn't had a job for more than a year and a half. He doesn't need to show he has a job lined up. I know I didn't need that. However, he will need a co-sponsor for the financial support and of course show a place to stay.

Well yes, that works on paper.  However, most co-sponsors are not actually in a position to support a family through and beyond immigration.  It is an expensive process.

@RangerNomad415 yes you are lucky to have filed before they closed their USCIS office at the embassy (if that truly happens.) DS-260 is correct-you already have a case number?

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Already have a case number and yes, my mother is the joint sponsor as she just sent her I864 and tax documents and statements of support for us. Definitely have a place to stay when I'm back in California with the family. Must be a mad rush to file DCF in Manila if people know it's going to close. 

Just wondering what do we do after filing DS260? What is the next step from here on out while the I864 documents and stuff Mom sent are enroute here to the Philippines? Basically trying to get my wife and mother of my 20 month old son to Cali so my son can grow up there and have a proper American upbringing. 

My mother did some research and thought I needed to do this thing called DS261, choosing an agent and filing. Kept telling me I need to do this DS261 even though I already filed the DS260 back on April 23rd. That's where the confusion lies, I guess info on YouTube (that's where she got the info from) is bad and outdated. I had to explain to her DCF again as I'm sure DS261 is not a part of DCF. Hence my question on the next step, paying fees, and all. 

Right now, again, I just filed this DS260 thing back on April 23rd and that's all I done up until now. Anybody else in this same boat? Thanks again for the replies keep them coming. 

If your case is already approved then you can file for interview and medical. You should check out the Philippines regional forum. Medical at SLEC and the interview can be scheduled via http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/.

Check out Hanks website. Quite informative https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/ 

Regional forum: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.