Mirkosantini

Waiting time for K1 or F1/M1 and adjustment of status ?

9 posts in this topic

Good morning at all, I have just found this helpful site and I would like to ask you about a ”problem” I have. 

I'm Italian and my girlfriend is american. I have a good job in Italy but we have decided we want to create something solid and build a family. Our plan is that I can use a sabbatical year from my job, start to study in a flight school (although I work in a different field I studied at an aeronautical school and I’m an aviation lover) with the F1 or M1 visa and after some months we can have our marriage and ask for the adjustment of status. Unfortunately the K1 request 9 months to wait that is a really long time and I also won't able to begin my studies in USA and I could visit her only sometimes under ESTA (I read that could be hard also to visit her as a tourist when I have already asked for an immigration visa like K1 and we don't want to risk to stay separate for so this such long time).

I would like to ask you any suggestions do you have for my case and any corrections could you do to what I wrote before, this will help me a lot.

Thank you so much 

P.S. Sorry for my English I'm still studying 😁

Edited by Mirkosantini

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need, from K1 P&P - The OP is exploring his options.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

2 hours ago, Mirkosantini said:

Good morning at all, I have just found this helpful site and I would like to ask you about a ”problem” I have. 

I'm Italian and my girlfriend is american. I have a good job in Italy but we have decided we want to create something solid and build a family. Our plan is that I can use a sabbatical year from my job, start to study in a flight school (although I work in a different field I studied at an aeronautical school and I’m an aviation lover) with the F1 or M1 visa and after some months we can have our marriage and ask for the adjustment of status.

Using F1 or M1 with an intent to adjust status is an immigration fraud. Do. Not. Do. That.  Absolutely wrong. 

Unfortunately the K1 request 9 months to wait that is a really long time and I also won't able to begin my studies in USA and I could visit her only sometimes under ESTA (I read that could be hard also to visit her as a tourist when I have already asked for an immigration visa like K1 and we don't want to risk to stay separate for so this such long time

Sorry to break it to you but if you want to legally immigrate to the US you will HAVE to wait long time and possibly be separated. Welcome to our world. You guys are no children, you can handle being apart and it's basically part of the process. 

I would like to ask you any suggestions do you have for my case and any corrections could you do to what I wrote before, this will help me a lot.

Thank you so much 

P.S. Sorry for my English I'm still studying 😁

There are only 2 ways for you to immigrate. K1 or CR1 visa.  You will wait just like everyone else. 

My recommendation is to get married in France and then your spouse will file CR1 visa for you. Process takes about 12 months but its more beneficial than K1 Visa. In the mean time you can visit using ESTA but be careful to not overstay. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Thank you for you quick replay. I appreciate your answer and yes, is it true that we don't have any children yet but in almost 37, so we are not exactly young guys. But is it true that using the F1 visa for the purpose of a greens card is absolutely a fraud and this is the reason why I'm interested to know more about K1 and I have read any information on Internet about that. But my point is that I should study in the same school anyway, as resident or international student, so I don't want the student visa just to be able to enter in the USA. Just to clarify, I understand your advance. Do you know how long I have to wait for a k1 visa, I mean if we start the procedure today when I will be able to enter in USA? 

K1 takes about 9 - 12 months. Then AOS takes about 12 months and you cannot work or travel for a good 6 months. EAD and AP takes forever these days. 

That's why CR1 Visa is better. No AOS and you can work asap. 

I'd completely forget about any student Visa because that's not a legal way to permanently immigrate to the US. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

6 minutes ago, Mirkosantini said:

Ok now I have all more clear. So basically if I understand correctly, your suggestions are to apply for k1 as soon as possible or to marry my fiance in Italy and than apply for CR1. But with K1 I could be in USA in 9-12 month, with CR1 is 12 months or more 

So? 

In the end Cr1 is cheaper and like I said, you don't have to worry about work permit or travel permit. 

But of course the choice is yours. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.