DCdev

NEED HELP - USCIS Taking Payment Out of Bank Account

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I really need some help. I recently just filed for the K-1 visa - Petition for fiance. I sent it on Thursday, 05/02/19 and it arrived on Saturday,  05/04/2019. I sent the form along with the required documents with a check from my bank. I recently had a personal emergency on Friday, 05/03/2019  in which I had to use some of that money that was designated for the USCIS payment ($535.00). I was reading online that USCIS may take around 2-3 weeks to process the payment and send the NOA1. I get paid every two weeks. I'm basically HOPING that USCIS doesn't try to take out the money until my next paycheck which is on 05/17/19. I am now deathly afraid of them rejecting the petition for this. I believe they try taking the payment again but I don't know what the time span is between the first attempt and the second. 

Does anyone have any additional information or insight on this? Is there any hope for me that the petition won't get rejected if they can't process payment by 05/17/19? Thank you very much for any assistance or advice!

- Stressed Out Petitioner

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
34 minutes ago, DCdev said:

Hi everyone!

I really need some help. I recently just filed for the K-1 visa - Petition for fiance. I sent it on Thursday, 05/02/19 and it arrived on Saturday,  05/04/2019. I sent the form along with the required documents with a check from my bank. I recently had a personal emergency on Friday, 05/03/2019  in which I had to use some of that money that was designated for the USCIS payment ($535.00). I was reading online that USCIS may take around 2-3 weeks to process the payment and send the NOA1. I get paid every two weeks. I'm basically HOPING that USCIS doesn't try to take out the money until my next paycheck which is on 05/17/19. I am now deathly afraid of them rejecting the petition for this. I believe they try taking the payment again but I don't know what the time span is between the first attempt and the second. 

Does anyone have any additional information or insight on this? Is there any hope for me that the petition won't get rejected if they can't process payment by 05/17/19? Thank you very much for any assistance or advice!

If you have overdraft protection on your account.. you might just be overdrafted and charged the fee according to your bank..

I would have saved a little more.before starting the process. 😳

I got NOA 1 a few days after i mailed.   offical NOA 1 was oct. 3rd.  And i mailed it within 4 days priod to that.

They wouldnt reject. I believe if payment fails, they would just mail it back.  Then you just send it back in with payment.. (they dont look at it until you get paid).  But id have someone verify this.

Edited by Russel1995

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe they send the petition back with a notice about the payments being returned NSF, and then you can re-send it with a new cheque, and likely fees for the bounced payments. 

Relevant info: https://www.thebalance.com/basics-of-how-checks-clear-315291

Float time: You might be accustomed to waiting several days (or longer) to see money to actually leave your account. During that time, the check is called "outstanding," and you could potentially spend the money on something else. But you'd be spending that money twice, committing fraud, and setting yourself up for overdraft fees. Using the same funds twice while waiting for a check to clear is called "taking advantage of the float," and it can lead to numerous problems.

How long do you have? It is technically illegal to write a check that you know can’t clear, so only write checks when you have funds available. In practice, you may actually have a few days. Processing times may depend on whether you mail the check or hand it to a cashier at a major retailer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greenland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Russel1995 said:

If you have overdraft protection on your account.. you might just be overdrafted and charged the fee according to your bank..

I would have saved a little more.before starting the process. 😳

I got NOA 1 a few days after i mailed.   offical NOA 1 was oct. 3rd.  And i mailed it within 4 days priod to that.

They wouldnt reject. I believe if payment fails, they would just mail it back.  Then you just send it back in with payment.. (they dont look at it until you get paid).  But id have someone verify this.

In most cases since this is a check, it will bounce + fees charged rather than overdrafting the checking account. 

Spoiler
Adjustment Of Status:

06/25/2015: AOS/EAD/AP package Sent to USCIS

06/30/2015: Package received
07/03/2015: NOA1 hard copies received
07/10/2015: Biometrics appointment letter received
07/18/2015: RFE notice
07/23/2015: Biometrics appointment
07/24/2015: RFE hardcopy received
07/27/2015: RFE response sent via USPS express
07/29/2015: RFE received
08/24/2015: EAD/AP Card production/Approved
08/28/2015: EAD approval letter received
08/28/2015: EAD/AP Card Mailed
08/31/2015: EAD/AP Card received
09/03/2015: Applied for SSN
09/11/2015: SSN received
11/30/2015: AOS interview (no decision)
02/20/2016: RFE2: New medical
02/25/2016: New Medical completed/submitted
03/04/2016: Approved/Card Production
03/08/2016: Green card mailed
03/11/2016: 10 Year Green card in hand :dance:

Naturalization:
04/11/2019: N-400 filed online
04/13/2019: Biometrics appointment scheduled
04/16/2019: Biometrics letter mailed
04/30/2019: Biometrics appointment

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, DCdev said:

Hi everyone!

As others have mentioned, if you have overdraft protection program set-up with your bank, you should be alright. Can you borrow the funds from a friend or relative and deposit in your bank account? If not, here is a USCIS link with their policy about payment of fees:

https://www.uscis.gov/fees

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

20 hours ago, Russel1995 said:

To clarify, that is a rejection. The petition will either be accepted or rejected. A rejected petition is returned in full and no payment is processed.

If accepted, it will (eventually) be adjudicated and either approved or denied (or withdrawn).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, DCdev said:

Hi everyone!

The draft from your account will be in 2 to 3 days.  The i129f is fairly quick compared to say the i485

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, Russel1995 said:

Don't confuse a rejection with denial.   Two very different things 

YMMV

21 hours ago, DCdev said:

Hi everyone!

They will reject and send you a bill for non sufficient funds. 

You will have to reapply. They convert the check to an ach deposit similar to direct deposit and the check is cashed same day. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
22 hours ago, DCdev said:

Hi everyone!

They took the money before they did anything else 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
23 hours ago, Calicolom said:

The only thing the government ever gets from me in the form of payment is a cashiers check, for anything government related. I do not use any personal checks. 

Same thing i ever use for governemnt payments.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, geowrian said:

To clarify, that is a rejection. The petition will either be accepted or rejected. A rejected petition is returned in full and no payment is processed.

If accepted, it will (eventually) be adjudicated and either approved or denied (or withdrawn).

Yes, it is a rejection. I was half asleep at work writing my response and was mixing rejection and denial together.

It is not a denial though.   Rather have a rejection than denial.

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.