Texsinbad

K-1 Late Filers Note: Green Card Interview Approved

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We don't post much, but do read many topics about people worried about filing late.  I doubt that there are many who have filed later than us.  We got married within the 90 days, which was the end of 2013.  We didn't file the AOS until 2/5/19--over 5 years later.

We had the Green Card interview in Tampa, Fl on 5/2/19, and was approved.  They did ask why we waited to file so late, and we told them the truth, "we didn't have any reason to file sooner, but now, my wife wants to visit her family in the Philippines later this year".  

So, if you are filing late, you probably don't have to worry too much.

The interview was only a few questions, but our situation is different.  We have been together going on 8 years and married going on 6 years.  Obviously, ours is a real marriage.  They didn't ask for any documentation relating to joint accounts like banking, utilities, title to our home, letters from relatives or friends, or anything like that.  We showed them about 40 pictures of us, friends, and relatives from the time when we met until now.  They did ask where and who was in the pictures.

At the end, they said that we were approved and that it would take 2-3 weeks to receive the Green Card. 

Good luck to future filers. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well congrats, but as mentioned, once the I-94 expires, regardless of the marriage, they are eligible for removal, which can be extremely stressful for both parties to worry about.

But it has been 'advised' before by myself and others that technically people can wait years if they wanted to and still AOS as long as they had married within the 90 days.

Except for the couples that marry straight away to file, I think most people end up filing a few days after the expiration of the I-94 anyways, we waited something like 80 days to marry then think got our AOS submitted at day 94 or something.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with @missileman that it’s obviously great that it worked out for you, (and that you and your wife were in a position to hold off on that for so long as in she didn’t need to work or travel), it’s not prudent for anyone to attempt that, because it leaves the immigrant spouse in such a precarious position.  Even if the risk is incredibly low, it’s still there.  AoS should be filed as soon as possible after the marriage.  It’s a well known part of the process that the majority of people should be prepared for, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes a requirement to do so within a designated period of time, as there is an argument to be made that delaying the filing is circumventing the i751 process in place for fiancé and spousal visas where the marriage is less than 2 years.

I know you’re not advocating that everyone does this, and simply sharing a positive outcome to give hope to anyone in a similar situation who is worried, but I wouldn’t want someone who may not be savvy in US immigration to read that and interpret it as a golden pass, so to speak, because it’s risky.

Nonetheless, congrats :)

Good that worked out for the OP, but not sure how the wife lived and slept at night.

Life is hard enough and full of setbacks for a documented legal permanent resident, I can only imagine the nightmare it must be for someone that didn’t file at all for 6 years 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The purpose of my post was to try to assure late filers--not to suggest that people file late, but all I get is harassed.  That is another reason we don't post much.

Everybody's situation is different.  My wife NEVER had to worry about anything. 

This will be out LAST post.

Goodbye and good luck to everyone.

Timeline

IMO the biggest downside to waiting so long to file was that she basically locked herself into staying in the US. If she had to leave anytime before she got advance parole, well, good luck LOL.

Let's be realistic: ICE and USCIS have historically not hassled people like OP's wife, but there's no guarantee that cannot change overnight, especially with the current administration. That would make me extremely uneasy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
28 minutes ago, PolskaKielbasia said:

ICE and USCIS have historically not hassled people like OP's wife, but there's no guarantee that cannot change overnight, especially with the current administration. That would make me extremely uneasy.

Actually, there has been at least one poster who said ICE agent came to his door to warn his wife because she had not filed for adjustment of status within the 90 days after arrival..........it isn't common, but it has happened.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Texsinbad said:

The purpose of my post was to try to assure late filers--not to suggest that people file late, but all I get is harassed.  That is another reason we don't post much.

Everybody's situation is different.  My wife NEVER had to worry about anything. 

This will be out LAST post.

Goodbye and good luck to everyone.

Harassed? I don't think so.  Educated? Maybe....Good luck on the rest of your journey. 

BTW: I don't think it's such a good thing to assure others that it's OK to remain in unlawful status for years. 

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, missileman said:

Actually, there has been at least one poster who said ICE agent came to his door to warn his wife because she had not filed for adjustment of status within the 90 days after arrival..........it isn't common, but it has happened.

Wow, first time I've heard of this. I guess going by the book K1 overstayers are fair game.

And OP's situation isn't that uncommon. A distant family member of mine overstayed her tourist visa by something like 15 years, married, and adjusted without any issues whatsoever. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, PolskaKielbasia said:

Wow, first time I've heard of this. I guess going by the book K1 overstayers are fair game.

And OP's situation isn't that uncommon. A distant family member of mine overstayed her tourist visa by something like 15 years, married, and adjusted without any issues whatsoever. 

It was Richard Moss:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.