Tsh

Filing of tax as married for spousal visa(merged)

18 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, MadamG said:

Hi everyone!!!! My husbands I-130 has been approved!!!! It only took 342 from the Nebraska Service Center! I’m very thankfully and it took a lot of patience. I’m hoping the NVC part speeds up lol. Just wanted to share my wait. If you want you are free to reply with your wait time and where you are with the process! 

Hi. We just sent ours this March and I'm just wondering if it's okay if my USC wasn't able to file his taxes as married since I don't have SSN yet. Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Tsh said:

Is it ok if my USC husband wasn't able to declare as married when he filed his taxes? We already submitted our I-130 this March. If no, how can he file as married since I don't have SSN yet and still in my home country.

Thank you.

He should have filed married filing separate.   How did he file?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Tsh said:

Hi. We just sent ours this March and I'm just wondering if it's okay if my USC wasn't able to file his taxes as married since I don't have SSN yet. Thanks.

If you were married as if Dec 31 2018, he is required to file as married. Your lack of SSN does not change this requirement. I’m not sure if this needs to be corrected prior to the I864 bring completed. He can refill as MFS or get you an ITIN number for you 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2973712-i-m-married-but-my-spouse-doesn-t-have-a-ssn-she-lives-outside-the-country-and-she-is-not-either-us-citizen-or-permanent-resident/amp

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Tsh said:

Is it ok if my USC husband wasn't able to declare as married when he filed his taxes? We already submitted our I-130 this March. If no, how can he file as married since I don't have SSN yet and still in my home country.

Thank you.

If you were married before December 31, 2018, you husband MUST have submitted his taxes as either "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately".  If you were married after December 31, 2018, he will file "Single". If married before, your husband should have filled out a form for a Temporary Tax Identification Number for you and submitted it with his tax forms if "married filing jointly". (You cannot do this electronically. It must be filed by mail.)  This will give you problems as you cannot file single if you are married. He needs to file an amendment right away for his taxes, or even better, pay the $100 to talk to a tax attorney or accountant. 

My wife is also out of the country and we filed "jointly". We had to fill out a form for a Tax Identification Number and send it to the IRS stapled with my Federal Return. 

Edited by SMcC

10 minutes ago, Tsh said:

Hi,

You already posted your question on another forum. It is not nice to hijack another person's post with a vastly different question and derail members from helping the OP.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Tsh said:

Thank you.

even if you do not have a SSN your husband could have filed married filing joint.

do them on paper and write in NRA in the SSN spot for you.

• Ontarkie changed the title to Filing of tax as married for spousal visa(merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijacked post from another members thread merged with posters own thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

38 minutes ago, Amadia said:

Hi,

You already posted your question on another forum. It is not nice to hijack another person's post with a vastly different question and derail members from helping the OP.

I am very sorry, but i ddnt mean to that. I saw her post and just asked her since she got approved recently. Just go ahead and merge or delete, no problem. 

1 hour ago, Tsh said:

Thank you.

When I filed my taxes I filed head of household and it was accepted by IRS and also USCIS without an issue. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
9 minutes ago, MrsRamirez said:

When I filed my taxes I filed head of household and it was accepted by IRS and also USCIS without an issue. 

and when you have dependents and you are not living with your spouse filing HOH is fine, however if you have no dependents you must file married filing separate and put NRA in the ssn spot

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, Tsh said:

Thank you.

Submit a corrected tax return either as married filing separately (write NRA where it asks for your SSN), or as married filing jointly (write ITIN applied for where it asks for SSN), and attach a W-7 ITIN application form to the corrected tax return and send to Austin by mail.  Your husband needs to do more research on this on the IRS website.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You follow instructions on IRS site to file married with alien spouse 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

alien spouse fills out W7 and with that applicaiton and supporting documents , you will have ITIN for tax purposes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.