Gayathri

F2A is in process is it possible for me to apply for student visa and study in USA

27 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, hope2018 said:

F2b and F4 petitions. My sister wants to go to medical school so she will still be in school even after she gets the GC. 

So long term, yes, same story as before.

i doubt the CO factored medical school into account, as the visa application would have been for undergrad and I’m guessing she didn’t volunteer that information. If she’s one of the few who does decide to continue to med school through the weed-out courses, MCAT etc and also gets accepted to one (I have a kid heading to college soon and hear so many horror stories about this!) then yes it would work if the F2B comes in while she is still at school. Of course if at any stage she travels home after her current visa has expired she will have to apply for a new one, so I’m guessing she probably won’t risk that?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

So long term, yes, same story as before.

i doubt the CO factored medical school into account, as the visa application would have been for undergrad and I’m guessing she didn’t volunteer that information. If she’s one of the few who does decide to continue to med school and also gets accepted to one (I have a kid heading to college soon and hear so many horror stories about this!) then yes it would work if the F2B comes in while she is still at school. Of course if at any stage she travels home after her current visa has expired she will have to apply for a new one, so I’m guessing she probably won’t risk that?

The priority date for her F2B will become current in a few months.  What horror stories do you hear? please share. 

TimeLine

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2007-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) : none

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-30

NVC Received : 2007-11-05

NVC Left : 2007-11-06

Consulate Received : 2007-11-09

Packet 3 Received : 2007-11-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-11-23

Packet 4 Received : 2007-12-16

Medical Taken : 2008-01-03

Medical Passed : 2008-01-04

Interview Date : 2008-01-11

Interview Passed : 2008-01-11

Visa Issue : January 18th 2008

USA ENTRY : January 23rd 2008

POE Entry : Seattle Washington

Wedding : February 9th 2008

Social Security Card Received: February 19th 2008

Civil Surgeon I693 signed : April 14th Vaccinations Complete.

AOS: Sent on April 15th 2008 USPS Confirmed . April 17th 4:56 Am

AOS: Hard Copy Received NOA1 April 22nd all 3 arrived same day.

Biometrics : Received Appointment Letter Today April 27th = May 23rd 2008 10 am appointment

Transfered CSC June 4th

EAD: Approved June 13th 2008

EAD: Recieved Card June 18th 2008

AP: Approved June 13th 2008

AP: Received June 18th 2008

AOS:touched :Card ordered July 26th

Approval: AOS : Aug 4th

Green Card :Received : Aug 5th with Welcome Letter . 2 years Dated July 26th

Thank You USCIS

Thank You Visa Journey...........................

1 hour ago, hope2018 said:

The priority date for her F2B will become current in a few months.  What horror stories do you hear? please share. 

It’s off topic here but you can search the various college forums to read about how the weed out courses negatively affect GPA (critical for med school admission), how less than half of those who go in as premed end up taking MCAT, depending who you believe somewhere between 25% and 50% of those who take MCAT don’t even apply to med school because their scores are too low, and then just under half of medical school applicants get an offer - and many of those who do will only get one offer. If she’s one of those who does well enough through all that to get to med school, great! 

52 minutes ago, Gayathri said:

Thanks all for your insights. I really appreciate it. 

Nothing stopping you applying - but be realistic about it, especially when it’s a course that you don’t need to be physically present in the US for. I know a number of people who took various US qualifying exams from overseas and mostly they studied at home and then flew to the US to take the exams. My other concern is that if you are denied a F1 visa, then they might (might, not certain) cancel your B visa too and you wouldn’t even be able to visit.

Edited by SusieQQQ

15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Nothing stopping you applying - but be realistic about it, especially when it’s a course that you don’t need to be physically present in the US for. I know a number of people who took various US qualifying exams from overseas and mostly they studied at home and then flew to the US to take the exams. My other concern is that if you are denied a F1 visa, then they might (might, not certain) cancel your B visa too and you wouldn’t even be able to visit.

Yes i understand that. Now I have decided to enroll here in India and write exams either in Middle East or USA. Coz I don’t want to give a chance to deny or delay my F2A process. I wanna visit my husband as he is not able to travel due to his recent job change. But still I got a fear that port of entry can be denied. So until I get my petition processed I have to be patient and pray god to move things faster. 

7 minutes ago, Gayathri said:

Yes i understand that. Now I have decided to enroll here in India and write exams either in Middle East or USA. Coz I don’t want to give a chance to deny or delay my F2A process. I wanna visit my husband as he is not able to travel due to his recent job change. But still I got a fear that port of entry can be denied. So until I get my petition processed I have to be patient and pray god to move things faster. 

Being denied for a student visa would not delay or deny your F2A process - you don’t need to worry about that. The main risk is that your B visa would be cancelled if an F1 was denied, and if that happened you would not be able to visit while waiting for the F2A.

5 hours ago, Gayathri said:

Got you. Thanks a lot. So while I am waiting for F2A there is no risk visiting my husband. Right?

With a valid B visa, the risk comes with CBP’s discretion about admitting you at the port of entry.  There is no real way to evaluate that risk; all you can do is to travel and ask to be admitted, and if you are, make sure to not overstay.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 hours ago, Gayathri said:

In my opinion, you do not qualify for a student visa.  You must convince the CO that you will return to the US after completion of your studies...........a pending immigrant visa makes that impossible, imo.  Having said that, a denial of an F1 would not have an impact on your pending case.  However, I suppose it could result in a revoked B2 if the CO thought you were just trying to get inside the US to stay illegally or adjust status.  Personally, I would forget the student visa while making reasonable visits using my B2......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

With a valid B visa, the risk comes with CBP’s discretion about admitting you at the port of entry.  There is no real way to evaluate that risk; all you can do is to travel and ask to be admitted, and if you are, make sure to not overstay.

Regarding this, it’s better to not try spend too long in the US; too many trips for too long would be a problem. An unofficial rule of thumb is to spend at least twice as long outside the US as in it. Each time you visit, make sure you bring along evidence of why you will return after each trip (return ticket, job/studies at home, etc).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.