2,108 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
On 11/29/2019 at 10:15 PM, DaehanMingukManse said:

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone! I hope you guys had a good one.

I just wanna crowdsource some honest advices/opinions, whatever you may call it.  My I-485 status just changed today to "Interview was scheduled" after 203 days from the day I filed.  I just got my EAD combo card 30 days ago as well. I haven't done my medical yet because I was waiting to receive a RFE or courtesy letter for it.  Now that I know that my Interview has been scheduled (who knows when 🙄) Should I or not plan to book an appointment now to get my medical done? Should I just wait for a courtesy letter and a RFE??

let me know what you guys think.

thank you

It’s completely your call, are you vaccinations in date- would you need to get some or some boosters?
From our experience, I had a medical that was in date and still got an RFE to re do it. My personal opinion- it’s been so frustrating, it’s just dragging it all out, so ready for it to be over-at the time I didn’t have my EAD when we got the RFE so that didn’t help the frustration.
Maybe do some research-where is the local doctor do you? Can you get an appointment quickly or have to wait longer? Having your EAD makes it a little easier too. It’s all that is best for you. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 11/29/2019 at 7:15 PM, DaehanMingukManse said:

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone! I hope you guys had a good one.

I just wanna crowdsource some honest advices/opinions, whatever you may call it.  My I-485 status just changed today to "Interview was scheduled" after 203 days from the day I filed.  I just got my EAD combo card 30 days ago as well. I haven't done my medical yet because I was waiting to receive a RFE or courtesy letter for it.  Now that I know that my Interview has been scheduled (who knows when 🙄) Should I or not plan to book an appointment now to get my medical done? Should I just wait for a courtesy letter and a RFE??

let me know what you guys think.

thank you

Sounds like an interesting dilemma. I would suggest that you wait until you get your interview appointment letter before scheduling your visit to the civil surgeon. However, it may not be a bad idea to contact a couple of civil surgeons in your area (if available), present your situation, and check to see their availability and getting their exam results before the interview.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Loo1 said:

It’s completely your call, are you vaccinations in date- would you need to get some or some boosters?
From our experience, I had a medical that was in date and still got an RFE to re do it. My personal opinion- it’s been so frustrating, it’s just dragging it all out, so ready for it to be over-at the time I didn’t have my EAD when we got the RFE so that didn’t help the frustration.
Maybe do some research-where is the local doctor do you? Can you get an appointment quickly or have to wait longer? Having your EAD makes it a little easier too. It’s all that is best for you. 

I should keep all those questions when doing my research, thank you so much.🤗

4 hours ago, Pitaya said:

Sounds like an interesting dilemma. I would suggest that you wait until you get your interview appointment letter before scheduling your visit to the civil surgeon. However, it may not be a bad idea to contact a couple of civil surgeons in your area (if available), present your situation, and check to see their availability and getting their exam results before the interview.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Sounds like a good idea to start contacting civil surgeons on my list while waiting for my interview/appointment letter. Thank you 🤗

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

This forum has been very helpful to us and I wanted to give back and share what we learned along the way.  Marriage based AOS from F1. Timeline is updated.
Highlights:

• Initially filed mid-April and applications were returned a month later due to missing biometrics fee. 
  • Resubmitted mid-May.
  • RFE for birth certificate July 
  • Biometrics - took 4.5 months to schedule; appointment letter returned to USCIS for wrong address and had to be resent.  Wanted to request EAD expedite request but could not do so until biometrics were done. Submitted several Service Requests for delayed biometrics but don’t think they resulted in any action. 
  • Submitted EAD expedite request; card received several weeks later but don’t know if it was based on expedite request or normal processing since we never got expedite approval and other May filers were getting EADs around the same time.
  • Process moved very quickly after biometrics, much faster than USCIS estimates or posted processing time.
  • Interview experience was positive. We were well prepared, it was quick and approval followed the next business day. 
  • Green Card was sent within a few days but had a mail delivery error due to incorrect address and we were notified it was returned to USCIS as undeliverable. We called USPS and went to the Post Office and they were able to find it with the tracking number and delivered it the next day. We don’t know what the problem was because the address was correct. If we hadn’t been aggressive in following up with USPS the card would be on its way back to USCIS instead of in hand. 

Like others, the process was stressful mostly due to the uncertainty and lack of transparency. It really helped seeing other Visajourney member experiences. The process was smooth for the most part but a few unpredictable things happened as mentioned above. What we learned is that it helped a lot to monitor case status often and follow up when things weren’t moving as expected. Things go wrong and if we didn’t observe and flag problems they would not have been resolved. I read a lot of complaints about USCIS and we had issues as well. However, I believe they are working to do their best in a very complicated environment. Bottom line - stay on top of/own your own case and have faith even when it seems like you’ll never get there. We’ll try to remember than for ROC in 2 years and Naturalization in 3! Thank you to all who have shared their experiences. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I passed my road test this monday and I am just so excited to receive my DL in the mailbox 😁 AOS related, no reschedule letter yet from Fresno office 🐢 (been waiting for 2 weeks)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
15 hours ago, Lucky_Mimi said:

I passed my road test this monday and I am just so excited to receive my DL in the mailbox 😁 AOS related, no reschedule letter yet from Fresno office 🐢 (been waiting for 2 weeks)

Congrats, struggling with the parallel parking here ☹️😑😑😑

®️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Interview just got approved on 3rd of December since Nov 18 and today card is mailed to me. I went to interview with only pictures and hubby life insurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Valmabe said:

Congrats, struggling with the parallel parking here ☹️😑😑😑

Thanks! Struggling with regular and parallel parking here 🙋‍♀️😅

1 hour ago, Buketty said:

Interview just got approved on 3rd of December since Nov 18 and today card is mailed to me. I went to interview with only pictures and hubby life insurance.

Yay! Congratulations!!! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Received my SSN card today.

Eight business days after I received my EAD card. 

I had applied for SSN with my EAD application along with my AOS application.

Edited by Liflead

2 hours ago, Liflead said:

Received my SSN card today.

Eight business days after I received my EAD card. 

I had applied for SSN with my EAD application along with my AOS application.

Lucky you! I never received mine, had to go personally to SSA office. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

Lucky you! I never received mine, had to go personally to SSA office. :)

I was planning to go in Monday but it arrived today so saved from spending hours at the SSA office. 🙄

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Does anyone know if you need to change your social security card after you receive a green card?

I used to work for university when I was a student, so I have a social security card but it has VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION on it. Do I need to change my social security card to one that doesn't have those words? Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.