Apple Bee

Reuters:Denials of U.S. immigrant visas skyrocket after little-heralded rule change

88 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ben & Katy said:

Exactly!  And what is the point of "deporting" sort of speak US citizens to other countries to be able to be with their loved ones?  I mean I wouldn't have left my spouse hanging in Juarez if they had not let her in.  And yes alot of immigrants have earning potential.  I have seen two personal cases within family where the immigrant is making all the money and the USC is the stagnant one or the one earning less. 

As was stated in the article he does not have much in the way of earning potential.

The US does have a social security system of sorts, hence the public charge issue, is there was no social security then there would be no need for support.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
48 minutes ago, dirtyhippiegirl said:

According to the top two media bias fact check websites I found on Google, Reuters runs centrist/less biased than other news sources. Can't speak to individual reporters obviously. Do you also teach your students that sources that disagrees with your world view aren't automatically biased or "propagandist."

Yes actually I do. I teach them critical thinking skills and part of that is to look for bias and to dig deeper into the topic. I teach them to ask questions, reflect on what they've read and to formulate their own opinion.  What matters is that they can formulate a well thought out thesis and properly support it with sources and proper citations. I often have them take the opposite view of their personal view.

Edited by theresaL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Yes actually I do. I teach them critical thinking skills and part of that is to look for bias and to dig deeper into the topic. I teach them to ask questions, reflect on what they've read and to formulate their own opinion.  What matters is that they can formulate a well thought out thesis and properly support it with sources and proper citations. 

You’re like pretty much all teachers in this regard. I’m graduated, but certainly was held to these standards while in school.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
16 hours ago, dirtyhippiegirl said:

Stuff like this always makes me reflect gratefully on where I am in life. My husband had just graduated university and I was still in university when he came over on a K1. I was working 30 hours a week at WalMart + attending class -- my father (a physician) co-sponsored us. We were college-poor as many are in their early 20s but survived with a bit of help from our parents. We have been married for 12 years and live a solid, upper middle class life. With the new guidelines, we certainly could have been written off as future public charges. I didn't graduate nursing school and start pulling in enough income to meet guidelines for like another 4 years. Husband found a great entry level job in aerospace engineering within a few months of getting his greencard.

Life isn't always so black or white, I guess.

I think of us too. I wasn't working, and my foreign half had a 10th grade education.  He's about to be a master tradesman later this year, and I'm about to finish my B.S. degree and do some more training/working as a medic in preparation for applying for further training in the medical field. 

Our kids are still on medicaid. In fact, I think with a family of the size in the article, in my state, they could earn $104,000 a year and still get medicaid for the children. Let's be honest, affordable healthcare should be a right for all citizens at this point. So, discussing medicaid should really be off the table at these type of interviews for visas.

I don't think of people like us as being burdens - we pay property tax, sales tax, and state income tax and we don't take anything but healthcare. We also both participate in rural emergency services, him as a volunteer, me as basically not paid anything more than for my inconvenience. 

I like that our country allows people who aren't currently earning a lot of money to sponsor relatives with help, whether it be because they are not yet there in life or disabled. I also think it can be problematic, especially for K1 visas and making sure there is money for AOS.  I know in my husband's country they used to, and may still, require a loan/bond on behalf of the immigrant to pay back any services they use. That might be an option going forward.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

I think of us too. I wasn't working, and my foreign half had a 10th grade education.  He's about to be a master tradesman later this year, and I'm about to finish my B.S. degree and do some more training/working as a medic in preparation for applying for further training in the medical field. 

Our kids are still on medicaid. In fact, I think with a family of the size in the article, in my state, they could earn $104,000 a year and still get medicaid for the children. Let's be honest, affordable healthcare should be a right for all citizens at this point. So, discussing medicaid should really be off the table at these type of interviews for visas.

I don't think of people like us as being burdens - we pay property tax, sales tax, and state income tax and we don't take anything but healthcare. We also both participate in rural emergency services, him as a volunteer, me as basically not paid anything more than for my inconvenience. 

I like that our country allows people who aren't currently earning a lot of money to sponsor relatives with help, whether it be because they are not yet there in life or disabled. I also think it can be problematic, especially for K1 visas and making sure there is money for AOS.  I know in my husband's country they used to, and may still, require a loan/bond on behalf of the immigrant to pay back any services they use. That might be an option going forward.

Well said. A part of the proposed DHS rule is the petitioner might be allowed to post a bond if the public charge risk is a question mark. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, theresaL said:

Yes actually I do. I teach them critical thinking skills and part of that is to look for bias and to dig deeper into the topic. I teach them to ask questions, reflect on what they've read and to formulate their own opinion.  What matters is that they can formulate a well thought out thesis and properly support it with sources and proper citations. I often have them take the opposite view of their personal view.

Please teach them the difference between FACT and their opinion! So many people now tend to mix the two, and call anything that they don't agree with "biased" or "fake." And the fact that it is coming from the top doesn't help.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
20 hours ago, cyclone27 said:

Actually the financial requirements are too low in my honest opinion. 

I would eliminate co sponsors and you need to realistically be able to support who you sponsor.

There's no such thing as "co-sponsor" or "joint sponsor" in my home country Sweden. If you can't support the intended immigrant on your own, then the immigrant simply won't be immigrating.

The US has some of the most generous immigration laws, I fully support making them stricter.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
2 hours ago, junkmart said:

Please teach them the difference between FACT and their opinion! So many people now tend to mix the two, and call anything that they don't agree with "biased" or "fake." And the fact that it is coming from the top doesn't help.

Oh we do. Unfortunately, most college age students don't have enough information/experience to be able to determine whether it is fact or opinion. They only have what they have seen on their phones from the all knowing oracle-google. 

Or call anything they don't agree with racist, sexist, and all the other -ist and -ic labels. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
24 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Oh we do. Unfortunately, most college age students don't have enough information/experience to be able to determine whether it is fact or opinion. They only have what they have seen on their phones from the all knowing oracle-google. 

Or call anything they don't agree with racist, sexist, and all the other -ist and -ic labels. 

That is frightening.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 hours ago, Ben & Katy said:

all those nephews she was claiming came back to bite her on the affidavit

This is one of the cleverest turns of phrase that I've recently (or perhaps ever) seen.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.