Apple Bee

Reuters:Denials of U.S. immigrant visas skyrocket after little-heralded rule change

88 posts in this topic

I mean, it's not like we haven't seen this here on VJ more than once.

This isn't shocking or new.

Also note to those saying there shouldn't be cosponsors.

It should be case by case.

Example, before my husband moved here as my fiance, I was jobless taking care of my special needs daughter. My husband required 3 I-134's (two that were over the poverty lines and then mine) because the CO wasn't sure about the fact I wasn't working. Once he got here I was able to start working immediately, now we work alternating shifts to be able to stay home and take care of my daughter (10am-630pm and 10pm-630am respectively). We make over 60k a year now which goes a long way in Texas for a family of three and a couple of cats.  

Granted  I know this is a best case scenario, but I believe that we are healthy working members of society and are valuable to our jobs for sure. 

I can say tho, there are a lot of members on VJ who's fiance came into a financially struggling house and they never seemed to build up past where they were to start. So I can understand a CO's worry.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mrsjackson said:

What makes you say that? 

It is a matter of opinion only but for an example 

I own a home 4 bedrooms ,  3 baths with a 3 car garage

if this house was in Miami or NYC or Chicago,  etc,  i could not afford it / well i could but the heat and electric would kill me in the north

and i don't like living paycheck to paycheck

so income levels for the lower 48 (as they are stated) are really so dependent on where you live and the poverty level guidelines don't reflect the differences

again,  just an opinion 

Scary headline attached to a not-so-scary story. 

Visa: CR1 (DCF)

2015-06-30  Started dating

2018-02-27  Married

2018-06-08  I-130 filed via DCF

2018-06-12  I-130 Notice of Approval

2018-10-05  Submitted DS-260 online and supplemental documents via CITIC Bank

2018-10-10  DS-260 approved

2018-11-27  Medical exam

2018-12-03  Interview Passed

2018-12-04  Visa issued

2018-12-07  Visa packet and passport picked up from CITIC Bank

Future steps:

May 2019  Move to U.S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

It is a matter of opinion only but for an example 

I own a home 4 bedrooms ,  3 baths with a 3 car garage

if this house was in Miami or NYC or Chicago,  etc,  i could not afford it / well i could but the heat and electric would kill me in the north

and i don't like living paycheck to paycheck

so income levels for the lower 48 (as they are stated) are really so dependent on where you live and the poverty level guidelines don't reflect the differences

again,  just an opinion 

Totality of circumstances would most likely be when the officer takes where you live into consideration. People can be denied even if they make the minimum 125%. However if you raise the minimum threshold, those who made less but still would not become a pubic burden based on where they live/how they live would be denied. That’s why these officers use their discretion. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

I mean, it's not like we haven't seen this here on VJ more than once.

This isn't shocking or new.

Also note to those saying there shouldn't be cosponsors.

It should be case by case.

Example, before my husband moved here as my fiance, I was jobless taking care of my special needs daughter. My husband required 3 I-134's (two that were over the poverty lines and then mine) because the CO wasn't sure about the fact I wasn't working. Once he got here I was able to start working immediately, now we work alternating shifts to be able to stay home and take care of my daughter (10am-630pm and 10pm-630am respectively). We make over 60k a year now which goes a long way in Texas for a family of three and a couple of cats.  

Granted  I know this is a best case scenario, but I believe that we are healthy working members of society and are valuable to our jobs for sure. 

I can say tho, there are a lot of members on VJ who's fiance came into a financially struggling house and they never seemed to build up past where they were to start. So I can understand a CO's worry.

There is statistical evidence that the large majority of immigrant’s incomes build over time. Not decline or stay stagnant.

Edited by Mrsjackson

2 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

There is statistical evidence that the large majority of immigrant’s incomes build over time. Not decline or stay stagnant.

Interesting!

A lot of people lately in the more recent ROC forums haven't seemed to have that luck.

Granted VJ is a small number of immigrants so there's that too.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, millefleur said:

This is iffy. The income has to be US-based, what if it's a stay-at-home mother USC sponsoring their spouse and they've been living abroad together for years? This was exactly my sister's situation, and her husband got here via the help of a joint sponsor. Now her husband earns a 6 figure income as a computer programmer, clearly has no risk whatsoever at being a public charge and is actually a net gain for the US as a skilled worker. If joint sponsors were eliminated, he would not have been able to get here because my sister could not have sponsored him as she's never had a steady income in her life (and probably never will).

It's a case-by-case thing and they should leave it that way. It's hard to apply a one-size-fits all method and joint sponsors also take into account those in the above situation or those living abroad for years for whom showing US income would be difficult.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned it’s hard to use a one size fits all. There is a reason totality of circumstances is the method. There is a reason there is not a blanket way to scrutinize every case. Nothing should be eliminated. USCIS knows what they’re doing, and in some cases having a cosponsor makes total sense.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ash.1101 said:

Interesting!

A lot of people lately in the more recent ROC forums haven't seemed to have that luck.

Granted VJ is a small number of immigrants so there's that too.

Yeah it’s important to remember that on VJ. It’s a small sample on here. Even for processing times (although I’ve found those fairly accurate). You could even argue variables. I would suggest that those who feel they might be more likely to run into trouble during this process seek out a resource like VJ, whereas those who are in better positions (such as being wealthy) maybe don’t worry about anything and don’t bother with something like VJ. Or maybe they rely on a lawyer. This is the psych major in me coming out now. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, RLA said:

Rightfully in the sense that the rules were followed, yes.  The rules are rather dumb, though.  Their stated purpose is to protect American taxpayers.  They achieved the opposite.  They were a family of, say, 6 with an income of $38k, and they used some public assistance.  Now the breadwinner is gone leaving 5 USC with $0 income.  If anything, they are going to use more public assistance.  Net gain for the taxpayer: negative. 

Good point. Whereas before the kids might have been on Medicaid (which they would have paid into through taxes, immigrants might be barred from using benefits but not from paying for them), the mother really has very limited options now and welfare is likely in this scenario. 

12 minutes ago, RLA said:

Now the breadwinner is gone leaving 5 USC with $0 income.  If anything, they are going to use more public assistance.  Net gain for the taxpayer: negative. 

They can still live together... in Mexico. It's not totally unthinkable for the family; the immigrant already lives with 2 of the USC children in Mexico:

Because the family is so strapped, two of the five children, aged 6 and 10, have already been sent to live with Balbino

The family can also move to a Mexican border town and still attend U.S. schools:

Edited by treppenwitz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
36 minutes ago, treppenwitz said:

They can still live together... in Mexico.

Maybe they could, but that's beside the point.  USCIS's decision hurts Americans: the taxpayers or the family or, most likely, both.  That's why I think the rule should be revised so that it considers the immigrant's earning potential, not just the sponsor's. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.