Kyle89

Vaccinations for K-1 visa

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
32 minutes ago, lngtimecoming said:

I was also told that I may not be able to get mine as I was born in 1973 but they were still on file.

Where were you able to find them? He filled out a form and the lady told him they would try to find them, but chances are there wouldn't be record that far back.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Blueyz48 said:

Where were you able to find them? He filled out a form and the lady told him they would try to find them, but chances are there wouldn't be record that far back.

Yes, I just phoned the public health unit where I grew up and asked for the records department.  The lady asked me a few questions to verify I was who I said I was (birthdate, maiden name, cities I have lived in over the years) and then said she had everything up until 2004 and asked if I wanted to pick them up or have it mailed. Super easy! 

I also called the one where I am now for my most recent tetanus info...same process. 

Edited by lngtimecoming
added info

Considering the age of the person, getting an MMR would be a good idea even if they had it as a child.  There are measles outbreaks all over the USA.  Also if you havent had a tetanus vx in the last 10 years, get that one as well (from local health unit.) 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 4/9/2019 at 6:07 PM, purem4g1c said:

image.png.25d99329ed3f9ae6c6019d9f0820e306.pngthats all you need for 99% of the people going to usa

I will preface this by saying that I have not undergone a medical examination for immigration purposes yet. However, I am not entirely sure if this is true. This is merely a vaccination schedule for what should be given at this age group, which is not different from what can be found on the CDC website (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/index.html).

However, if you look at the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements), for example, you can see hepatitis B is listed on the website of required vaccinations.

Under the immigration laws of the United States, a foreign national who applies for an immigrant visa abroad, or who seeks to adjust status to a permanent resident while in the United States, is required to receive vaccinations to prevent the following diseases:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Polio
  • Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B
  • Hepatitis B
  • Any other vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices

The best way to test for some of these, as mentioned previously, is through checking serum titres, of which it can be done through your GP. Titres can be checked for things like MMR, varicella, hepatitis B. Tdap can be given based on history.

I am not sure what they do with polio and haemophilia influenza type B though. This would typically be recorded as part of your childhood vaccine schedule, but I understand she does not have this record.

The important thing to note is that some of these vaccines may take time. For example, hepatitis B/Tdap are series of three shots (at 0, 1 and 6 months).

Edited by ADW & JOP

6 minutes ago, ADW & JOP said:

I will preface this by saying that I have not undergone a medical examination for immigration purposes yet. However, I am not entirely sure if this is true. This is merely a vaccination schedule for what should be given at this age group, which is not different from what can be found on the CDC website (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/index.html).

However, if you look at the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements), for example, you can see hepatitis B is listed on the website of required vaccinations.

The best way to test for some of these, as mentioned previously, is through checking serum titres, of which it can be done through your GP. Titres can be checked for things like MMR, varicella, hepatitis B. Tdap can be given based on history.

I am not sure what they do with polio and haemophilia influenza type B though. This would typically be recorded as part of your childhood vaccine schedule, but I understand she does not have this record.

The important thing to note is that some of these vaccines may take time. For example, hepatitis B/Tdap are series of three shots (at 0, 1 and 6 months).

Hep B is not required for those over 18.  I know because I brought proof of my immunity to the medical and on the vx sheet the dr wrote not age appropriate.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

The list as posted before is appropriate for Canadian immigrants 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Hep B is not required for those over 18.  I know because I brought proof of my immunity to the medical and on the vx sheet the dr wrote not age appropriate.  

That's fair. Again, I am not sure what they do for immigration purposes. It is just listed on the USCIS website as a required vaccine by immigration law.

Out of curiosity, did the physician also look at your proof of immunity before documenting on your vaccination sheet?

Just now, ADW & JOP said:

That's fair. Again, I am not sure what they do for immigration purposes. It is just listed on the USCIS website as a required vaccine by immigration law.

Out of curiosity, did the physician also look at your proof of immunity before documenting on your vaccination sheet?

Yes.  

Timeline
Just now, NikLR said:

Yes.  

So if you didn't have it, would they still require records of previous vaccines like the hepatitis B, polio, etc.?

4 hours ago, ADW & JOP said:

So if you didn't have it, would they still require records of previous vaccines like the hepatitis B, polio, etc.?

Nope.  Theyre not age appropriate. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.