25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You should be fine, from your responses it sounds like you've got your act together and know what you're doing, have been with your current fiance for a long time, so you should have lots of evidence of a bona fide marriage once you tie the knot, etc.  Plus the UK is not considered a high-fraud country nor is Australia.  You have lots of visits to see your boyfriend, you're doing all the right things.  Your fiance may be asked about your previous marriage at the interview in London, but probably not.  From what you've said you should have a smooth process.  Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

16 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

You should be fine, from your responses it sounds like you've got your act together and know what you're doing, have been with your current fiance for a long time, so you should have lots of evidence of a bona fide marriage once you tie the knot, etc.  Plus the UK is not considered a high-fraud country nor is Australia.  You have lots of visits to see your boyfriend, you're doing all the right things.  Your fiance may be asked about your previous marriage at the interview in London, but probably not.  From what you've said you should have a smooth process.  Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

You have laid to bed any worries or paranoia I had about this! For the longest time I was holding a lot of resentment towards my ex because I thought my life was already branded by one and they would never let me do it again. He's still living in the states and works and has never gotten in trouble with the law. We don't really speak anymore, but I have mutuals that will share what's going on in his life. 

Thank you so much! I've been with my current partner for going on three years and we share about 5 visits between the both of us with a 6th one happening this November. And yeah, believe me there is no fraud here! Just a boy in love who made some impulsive decisions in his younger, but who hasn't! 

13 minutes ago, orlandowithlove said:

You have laid to bed any worries or paranoia I had about this! For the longest time I was holding a lot of resentment towards my ex because I thought my life was already branded by one and they would never let me do it again. He's still living in the states and works and has never gotten in trouble with the law. We don't really speak anymore, but I have mutuals that will share what's going on in his life.  

Thank you so much! I've been with my current partner for going on three years and we share about 5 visits between the both of us with a 6th one happening this November. And yeah, believe me there is no fraud here! Just a boy in love who made some impulsive decisions in his younger, but who hasn't! 

That sounds like my x-wife and I almost to a tee and we have 2 kids together. You will be fine so don't worry. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
22 minutes ago, orlandowithlove said:

Five visits will be more than enough for London.  I've been to see my husband in Brazil seven times now.  We're meeting in London this Saturday for ten days together.  Also my second marriage and this one is amazing!  Sounds like you guys could get married and file the CR-1 any time.  All the best.  PS  we're a same-sex couple too.

2 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Five visits will be more than enough for London.  I've been to see my husband in Brazil seven times now.  We're meeting in London this Saturday for ten days together.  Also my second marriage and this one is amazing!  Sounds like you guys could get married and file the CR-1 any time.  All the best.  PS  we're a same-sex couple too.

That is adorable!I hope you guys have the best time ever. My first time in London (and Europe altogether) was last January and I loved the city. Not sure if it was just seeing my fiance for the first time after six months or just because it was my first European city, but I had such a good time in that city. I hope you and your partner have a blast!

I'll need to do some research on this CR-1 visa the only one I'm truly familiar with is K1 and the I-129F so any details or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll do some research on this, you guys have been so lovely and nice I cannot thank you all. What a great community. :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
21 hours ago, orlandowithlove said:

I am gay so my first marriage was to another male (started dating in 2011 married in 2014 and divorced in 2017) and he lived in Australia. My fiancé is from the United Kingdom (England), just got back home from seeing him last week. :)

What's wrong with cute American guys? I am proposing "Buy American, Hire American and Marry an American!"

Just kidding, you'll be totally fine! Congrats!

19 hours ago, orlandowithlove said:

That is adorable!I hope you guys have the best time ever. My first time in London (and Europe altogether) was last January and I loved the city. Not sure if it was just seeing my fiance for the first time after six months or just because it was my first European city, but I had such a good time in that city. I hope you and your partner have a blast!

I'll need to do some research on this CR-1 visa the only one I'm truly familiar with is K1 and the I-129F so any details or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll do some research on this, you guys have been so lovely and nice I cannot thank you all. What a great community. :) 

I have the same feelings about London, also my first European city.  I love London now but I think part of my love for London is because that's where I finally met my fiance (now husband) for the first time after speaking only online for over a year and a half.  I fell in love with that city because that's where I fulfilled falling in love with my husband.  I now even have a tattoo that has a small representation of the London skyline to commemorate our time and memories there.  I haven't been back since October 2017 when I went for a final visit to help my fiance finish packing up and come to the states together and I'm dying for another trip abroad.

There are pros and cons to CR-1 vs K1 and with processing times being what they are now, most people are going to recommend a CR-1.  Someone has a great bullet point list showing the pros/cons of each but I can't remember who or where I last saw it.  Basically with the CR-1 you marry first, then you submit the application and paperwork after getting your marriage license from wherever you get married (likely the UK since that's where your fiance is unless he comes here, you get married, and then he returns home while the CR-1 is processed), wait about 12-14 months for processing to be completed, which will include an interview at the London embassy, and then your husband would enter the US once approved, receive a green card in the mail shortly after arriving, and immediately be able to begin to work once it's received.  K-1 processing times are a bit faster (6-10 months now I think) but, as you know, it will require AOS which means another application, application fee, and waiting for EAD/Green Card before being able to work after arriving in the states.  So, it really depends on your situation, how important it is for your fiance/husband to work after coming to the states, and how quickly you are hoping to be together full time  and/or get married.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

23 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

There are a few members here, who... are very blunt with their opinions, doesn't mean they are being negative, but a lot of people get upset with their comments. 

Just don't take anyone on here who gives "personal" opinions, don't let it affect you.

If this was your 3rd or 4th time I'd tell you "Stop, give up, stay local " lol

Exactly! There are a few members who are super insensitive and always leaving scary comments!

I don't have any advice I can offer you. But I just wanted to wish you good luck. Everybody deserves a second chance at love!! my husband is American and I'm from the UK. 😊

20 hours ago, orlandowithlove said:

I'll need to do some research on this CR-1 visa

See the thread below:

Your fiance can enter the US with VWP and marry you. Then he leaves the US and waits for the CR-1 (he can also visit the US for short periods while waiting for the CR-1). That is the most straightforward path for CR-1. If you want to marry in the UK instead you need a UK marriage visa: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa Or you can marry somewhere where marriage for foreigners is straightforward; such as Iceland, Denmark, Gibraltar, etc.

Edited by treppenwitz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.