sasha8384

Sending daughter back home for school

6 posts in this topic

So I am a cr1 waiting in my roc. My daughter has her 10 green card waiting on me to become citizen so she can also have citizenship. My question is she is not happy and she is developing anxiety due to the shooter drills at school ( we are from the Caribbean, we don't have those time of drills) she also missing her grand parents. My question is will it affect her if I send her home for a year or two while I seek to move to a better housing to make her comfortable. She will visit for summer and winter breaks. 

Once she has her US citizenship, she can live wherever she wants to, without worrying that she might lose her status.

I would not recommend her going away for a "year or two" with just a green card, that's a big risk she'd lose it. And you'd have to sponsor her again and pretty much do the whole immigration thing from a scratch.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

While she is still a green card holder, she is required to maintain permanent residence within the US. Visits to the US don't cut it.

Just as a heads up, in general I wouldn't expect it to be any easier a year or 2 from now after having returned to a lifestyle she knows.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Agreed, stress from these 'school drills' are part of life. After school still will have to deal with things. We do active shooter training at my work even hah. I was in the military so doesn't bother me or anything, but this stuff doesn't just "disappear" later on. Have the family visit New York, distance is part of the immigration process and the decision that is made when you move to a different country.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

I agree with everything above. Especially the assimilation aspect of things. Even moving to better housing may not change things. It is becoming a norm in almost every school, kind or like fire drills.

If you look at the history of school shootings, there is no correlation of the shootings by certain neighborhood dynamics. They can happen in schools in bad areas as well as good areas.

It is just an unfortunate state our country is in.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

You could get her a re-entry permit, valid for 2 years at a time, maximum 5 years.

however, and I understand the difficulty of kids moving and settling, it really sounds like she’s just homesick and misses friends etc and wants to go back to her old life. So really you need to decide to either give up her green card and let her go back,  or firmly but gently ensure she stays and acclimates to US life now. How old is she?

There is also the option of letting her go back home indefinitely, if your parents are willing to take her in, and petitioning her for a green card later. This route though might mean it’s difficult for her to visit in the interim.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.