LighthouseJ

Getting multiple K1's for the same girl?? (merged)

70 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Going through said:

I don't know if I'd say it makes it "easier" or "more difficult"...but I would suppose that any past history of obtaining a US visa and abiding by the rules of that visa can be construed as a mark in her favour when applying for another one.

The difference this time, though, is that she has a US boyfriend/fiancee.  Which is a strong tie to the US.  

Would the solution be for her to bring her own money and find a place so she can show that she's not that dependent on me?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
8 minutes ago, LighthouseJ said:

I met this Chinese girl living in the US not too long before she went home for various reasons, but there are still some feelings between us and she wants to come back to the US specifically to see if there's a possibility for a life together with me.

I'm looking into a B2 (tourism) visa but the interviewer or whatever might believe that we're really trying to bypass applying for a K1.

Is it even feasible to get a K1 just to avoid suspicion over our intent, but with the likely result is that she'd go back home for cultural reasons, tell them that she met an American, etc... and if she is on board with marriage, get a second real K1 and get married on it?

K1 is not a 'let's try and if we like it we'll marry in the future' visa. If you go the K1 way, you need to be sure that you want to get married.

You're better off just exploring this relationship for whatever time you guys need to determine if you want to spend the rest of your life together and just visit each other.

Edited by C90

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, LighthouseJ said:

I entirely agree, but obtaining a B2 for the same purpose seems uncomfortably unpredictable.

You go to China?

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

You go to China?

For reasons that I can't get into, I can't go to China.

I asked about the same situation, but from the aspect of getting a tourism visa.

One person mentioned meeting in a third country, which I initially considered and might do.  I want to see where this goes first.

We seem to be stuck in between more than friends but not any where close to getting married now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

But you've already mentioned in your first post you would be supporting her?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

Concurrent thread with more info on OP's situation:

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Just now, Going through said:

But you've already mentioned in your first post you would be supporting her?

My offer of support was just to make her time here go smoother for her in case there were issues bringing money over, money gets lost/stolen, something unforeseen with the exchange rate, etc...

If that financial help is going to be detrimental to her coming here, then that's not going to help us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, LighthouseJ said:

Would the solution be for her to bring her own money and find a place so she can show that she's not that dependent on me?

That isn't the threshold.   She needs to prove she will return to China 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 minutes ago, LighthouseJ said:

My offer of support was just to make her time here go smoother for her in case there were issues bringing money over, money gets lost/stolen, something unforeseen with the exchange rate, etc...

If that financial help is going to be detrimental to her coming here, then that's not going to help us.

They are not worried about financial support on tourist visa. They are worried about her not leaving US. Having support in US might play against it, because it shows motivation to not leave. 

As an aside, if she is going back for cultural reason and need approval of the family etc, I am not sure how it will play out with the family that you are unable or unwilling to travel to China. 

Just now, payxibka said:

That isn't the threshold.   She needs to prove she will return to China 

That makes sense, in more ways than one.

I will have to review this thread again and put together some big bullet points for her to hit.

Maybe we'll try to get her to apply for the Visa w/ a solid case, and maybe create plan B where we go on vacation in a neutral country to us both that we both can get to easily?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 minute ago, LighthouseJ said:

That makes sense, in more ways than one.

I will have to review this thread again and put together some big bullet points for her to hit.

Maybe we'll try to get her to apply for the Visa w/ a solid case, and maybe create plan B where we go on vacation in a neutral country to us both that we both can get to easily?

I do not think this is a difficult situation:

• Let her apply on her own merits. In case she gets rejected, then
  • Meet some country: Singapore/Taiwan.

Timeline
1 minute ago, LighthouseJ said:

Always good to have a Plan B :) 

16 minutes ago, LighthouseJ said:

We seem to be stuck in between more than friends but not any where close to getting married now.

If you file the K1 just to use the 90 days to decide about marriage, you are setting yourself for massive massive failure. The K1 is for couples who have been together for a while, visited each other a good amount and have firmly and maturely made the decision to get married and live permanently together in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.