Mrsjackson

Health insurance pregnancy

91 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

It’s not a choice to do that or not. There is an annual enrolment period which takes place in November. You can’t purchase health insurance any other time except for a “qualifying life event”. Currently, only NY state recognizes pregnancy as a qualifying life event. Every other state only recognizes having had a baby (which just makes so much sense). 

So why didn't you apply when you came over and got married?  Surely you realized you would need health insurance whether pregnant or not?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

So why didn't you apply when you came over and got married?  Surely you realized you would need health insurance whether pregnant or not?

Does it matter why? There is no going back and it’s not productive to scold. I’m not going to type out an explanation to you as I don’t owe you one. If you have any helpful advice I would love to hear. 

4 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

Does it matter why? There is no going back and it’s not productive to scold. I’m not going to type out an explanation to you as I don’t owe you one. If you have any helpful advice I would love to hear. 

I'm not scolding.  I'm genuinely surprised.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

I'm not scolding.  I'm genuinely surprised.  

My husband is self employed. I had no idea there was only one month out of the year you could purchase insurance. I had researched whether or not pregnancy could stop an insurer from covering you, that much I knew. It didn’t occur to me that you couldn’t enrol at any time, as that’s pretty unique to US health insurance and not something I’ve ever encountered. It’s an error no doubt about it. Just not something to dwell on. 

23 hours ago, Mrsjackson said:

Hi all, 

My husband is self employed and we are not currently insured. Bad I know. We’ve been shopping around for plans but need to pull the trigger on one now because we’re expecting another baby. So I’m hoping to confirm that my pregnancy is not a preexisting condition. That’s my understanding. Does anyone know a good health insurance plan in the state of Washington? 

As you probably now know from all the posts in this thread, in general it's an extremely good idea to obtain health insurance upon marriage, if you are coming as a K1. Wait too long for whatever reason (and I've seen numerous reasons, mistakes, infuriating HR, infuriating phone people, or just complete bad info) and you're kind of stuck at least until you file your AOS, especially if you intend on using a state or the federal exchanges (which every immigrant is eligible for). But another compounding issue for you is that you waited much too long to file your AOS as well which means your SQLE (special qualifying life event - outside of open enrollment) is also now passed at least for entering under a newly married or immigrated status. That does not mean however, that you cannot seek coverage from any private insurer in the state. So I'd take a look at that. Discuss options with a certified health insurance advisor. Yes, pregnancy is a pre-existing condition at this point, but pregnancy in of itself is one of those SQLE's at least for the federal exchange, so my suggestion here, is to speak to someone that can advise accordingly. Overviewing SQLE's for the Washington Exchange does not show pregnancy in the list, though of course does show it for Medicaid (something that is off limits to immigrants).

It is not a requirement in this country to buy health insurance, but it is certainly a wise thing to do and I would argue the responsible duty thing to do for USC sponsors, especially those who are married. Remember not having health insurance all this time, means a penalty for taxes... which as we are nearing tax time, I assume you're also aware of. The penalty still applies for FY2018, and does not for FY2019. Health insurance is expensive, and you are unlikely to have much of a deal by using the exchange vs buying privately.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

25 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

No one is required to buy health insurance in the US. They can certainly pay the penalty if they want to. Not saying it's a wise thing to do... but unfortunately I know of so many reasons legit and not legit, stupid mistakes, or complete blunders and false info given to immigrants which result in failure of coverage. Sometimes it's the couple's error and sometimes it's not. It's a confusing thing for a new immigrant in this country, and in that regard I feel it's the USC's responsibility to inform, prepare, and ensure all is taken care of. Unfortunately I commonly see that not done either. She certainly could have applied for health insurance privately once married, but if she wanted to use the exchange she'd need a status with her AOS NOA1, an EAD, or Green Card... and it sounds like they waited a long time to file for that. Another critical error.

But there's not much the OP can do now, she's got a baby to think about, and care to try and receive somehow with limited options. Best luck to her.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You can apply for market place insurance in Washington, we did before I had my GC and were approved. You'll need to call the Washington exchange to do it though, since you don't have the proof of residency required (GC) and there's no space to say your AOS is pending. Be aware though, there is a time limit to how long they'll let you keep the insurance without providing your GC. Not sure if they'll extend it whilst your application is processing since we never had that issue - our AOS was done in 4 months. You'll also have to use your WA address. 

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Also, if you can't obtain insurance some OBGYN's offer self pay discounts and you can put the bills on to a payment plan.

And per US taxes - if you're not a resident alien you aren't subject to the US tax penalty for not having insurance. AOS pending doesn't count. 

Edited by Ischnura

event.png

Timeline
29 minutes ago, username_taken said:

If you qualify based on income you should be able to get Medicaid for pregnancy. It's a special Medicaid program and not considered public charge.does not have 5 year LPR requirement. 

Gosh I’m so confused. Medicaid is a no but there is a special Medicaid that is ok? No wonder people get into trouble when immigrating down here. Do you know what the special one is called by any chance? 

46 minutes ago, Ischnura said:

You can apply for market place insurance in Washington, we did before I had my GC and were approved. You'll need to call the Washington exchange to do it though, since you don't have the proof of residency required (GC) and there's no space to say your AOS is pending. Be aware though, there is a time limit to how long they'll let you keep the insurance without providing your GC. Not sure if they'll extend it whilst your application is processing since we never had that issue - our AOS was done in 4 months. You'll also have to use your WA address. 

I can apply for marketplace insurance right now at this time? 

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

Gosh I’m so confused. Medicaid is a no but there is a special Medicaid that is ok? No wonder people get into trouble when immigrating down here. Do you know what the special one is called by any chance? 

It's emergency Medicaid. It covers pregnancy. You can also try to enroll through marketplace if you don't qualify for emergency Medicaid. There are special enrollment periods for when you immigrate so you may not have to wait for open enrollment. Find an ACA help place. Locations are on marketplace website.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, username_taken said:

It's emergency Medicaid. It covers pregnancy. You can also try to enroll through marketplace if you don't qualify for emergency Medicaid. There are special enrollment periods for when you immigrate so you may not have to wait for open enrollment. Find an ACA help place. Locations are on marketplace website.

https://www.hca.wa.gov/health-care-services-supports/apple-health-medicaid-coverage/pregnant-women

here is something. Although it is still Apple health (which is Medicaid in Washington). I have no idea how to tell if this program would cause a public charge concern or not. 

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

They can certainly pay the penalty if they want to

This is not even something to consider, in my book.  The bigger issue is being on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills.  As I said, I'm a nurse and I have seen this absolutely ruin lives over and over again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

https://www.hca.wa.gov/health-care-services-supports/apple-health-medicaid-coverage/pregnant-women

here is something. Although it is still Apple health (which is Medicaid in Washington). I have no idea how to tell if this program would cause a public charge concern or not. 

3. Will I qualify for health insurance if I am not a citizen or do not have satisfactory immigration status?

You do not have to be a citizen or have satisfactory immigration status to qualify for Medi-Cal.  You may qualify for Medi-Cal coverage of emergency and pregnancy-related services if you meet all of the eligibility requirements but do not have a satisfactory immigration status.  Immigrants who have a satisfactory immigration status and meet all eligibility requirements can qualify for full Medi-Cal coverage. 

https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/eligibility/pages/medi-calfaqs2014b.aspx

Here is something too. I presume you live in California? My wife tells me medi-cal, is the California version of Medicaid.

Edited by ADW & JOP

52 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

There are certain select states where a sort of state emergency Medicaid is acceptable, I wouldn't recommend it personally, especially with this current administration, but it is available to those who live in a state that qualifies. WA might be one of them, I think NY or CA is another. It is possible you could apply for marketplace insurance through the state. Note I say it is possible. It will really involve talking to an actual person. Doesn't hurt to try. Hopefully filing AOS so late in the game won't be a factor and your pregnancy would be a SQLE.. but every state is different.

23 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

This is not even something to consider, in my book.  The bigger issue is being on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills.  As I said, I'm a nurse and I have seen this absolutely ruin lives over and over again.

I know, and I certainly wouldn't entertain the thought when I brought my husband over here. However there was a point when we were at risk of losing our insurance due to circumstances beyond our control. Thankfully things worked out. As a younger person I couldn't afford health insurance long ago, and ended up with big hospital bills to pay. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I understand this happens, especially to the poor.

Edited by yuna628

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.