10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

An interesting thread and both may be a source of information for future questions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@Alice L

Congrats on the pregnancy!

To give you more perspective of the visitor visa process, the interviewing officer will want to know about why your mother needs to return to her home country more than why she wants to visit the US. When a foreigner has immediate relatives in the US, it is easy for foreigners to list out reasons why they want to visit. The biggest challenge a lot of foreigners have is to convince the officer that the eventually those visits will turn permanent.

There is history behind this. It is because many foreigners who  "are not wealthy" as you mentioned earlier have came to the US in the past only to never return home. This is because they had family in the US to help them stay. So don't take it personally as if everyone is saying your mother is going to do it. It is that is how the system works. By law, every applicant is presumed to have immigrant intentions. So because of that, the officer will assume your mother will migrate as soon as the case hits his/her desk. It is the law the officer is simply following. The onus is on your mother to prove that she will not immigrate.

Also to add, people who have the ability to stay in the US for long periods of time (months) are sometimes labeled as a risk. If you look at our society, most Americans take a vacation for a maximum of 2 weeks. Even those that are not wealthy do not stay out of the country for months at a time. Staying in a place to long may seem like a person is getting used to being there. So you can see how it reflects in the mind of an officer reviewing the case.

As of now, the only thing you mother can do is apply. Hopefully she will be able to get it. But I always caution people to not have to much expectation just in case it turns out to be a denial.

Best of luck.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

3 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

@Alice L

Congrats on the pregnancy!

To give you more perspective of the visitor visa process, the interviewing officer will want to know about why your mother needs to return to her home country more than why she wants to visit the US. When a foreigner has immediate relatives in the US, it is easy for foreigners to list out reasons why they want to visit. The biggest challenge a lot of foreigners have is to convince the officer that the eventually those visits will turn permanent.

There is history behind this. It is because many foreigners who  "are not wealthy" as you mentioned earlier have came to the US in the past only to never return home. This is because they had family in the US to help them stay. So don't take it personally as if everyone is saying your mother is going to do it. It is that is how the system works. By law, every applicant is presumed to have immigrant intentions. So because of that, the officer will assume your mother will migrate as soon as the case hits his/her desk. It is the law the officer is simply following. The onus is on your mother to prove that she will not immigrate.

Also to add, people who have the ability to stay in the US for long periods of time (months) are sometimes labeled as a risk. If you look at our society, most Americans take a vacation for a maximum of 2 weeks. Even those that are not wealthy do not stay out of the country for months at a time. Staying in a place to long may seem like a person is getting used to being there. So you can see how it reflects in the mind of an officer reviewing the case.

As of now, the only thing you mother can do is apply. Hopefully she will be able to get it. But I always caution people to not have to much expectation just in case it turns out to be a denial.

Best of luck.

Thank alot 

But my father will be in my home country 

Would that work as a tie for her to come back

Second thing I am not a citizen yet so how will my mom become immigrant?

4 minutes ago, Alice L said:

Thank alot 

Spouses are generally not considered ties to home, because plenty of past visitors have left spouses to illegally overstay in the US. But the interviewing visa officer decides what are ties and what are not. 

Secondly, COs have to follow US law which states that every non-immigrant visa (NIV) applicant be viewed as an intending immigrant. It is up to the applicant to prove that they don't intend to immigrate; the burden of proof would be on your mother to prove she does not intent to overstay. 

Edited by WeGuyGal

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

9 minutes ago, Alice L said:

Thank alot 

Husbands, wives, children, parents, siblings get left behind all the time. We see it here very often. In fact, there was a thread this weekend where a woman was asking other members if they left behind their children because she did.

I said she would "live" in the US. Many immigrants live in the US without having any status. And one of the biggest groups of people living in the US without proper status are those who came over on nonimmigrant* visas like the visitor visa. I've said it many times here.... a lot of times most foreigners just want their feet on US soil even if it means they will never be legal.

*nonimmigrant visa examples are visitor visas, student visas, work visas.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 minute ago, Unlockable said:

Husbands, wives, children, parents, siblings get left behind all the time. We see it hear very often. In fact, there was a thread this weekend where a woman was asking other members if they left behind their children because she did.

I said she would "live" in the US. Many immigrants live in the US without having any status. And one of the biggest groups of people living in the US without proper status are those who came over on nonimmigrant* visas like the visitor visa. I've said it many times here.... a lot of times most foreigners just want their feet on US soil even if it means they will never be legal.

*nonimmigrant visa examples are visitor visas, student visas, work visas.

Got the point thanks 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Alice L said:

There are millions of people who are illegally living in the US because they either came into the country illegally or they came legally, but decided to stay and live here.........that makes it extremely difficult for law abiding individuals like your mother to get visas to legitimately visit family in the US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

18 minutes ago, missileman said:

There are millions of people who are illegally living in the US because they either came into the country illegally or they came legally, but decided to stay and live here.........that makes it extremely difficult for law abiding individuals like your mother to get visas to legitimately visit family in the US.

True

1 hour ago, Alice L said:

We are not intenting to lie, my question was to understand the difference between ds160 qs intent to travel and return and the actual stay within the Visa time

Can they be different for any reason or is it unlawfull.

But thanks to some one who misinterpreted my post and gave negative feedback on it 

It was pretty difficult to Interpret it as anything other than “if we lie will we have a better chance of getting a visa”.

hopefully you understand now what you risk by lying.

by the way, Pakistan has a 48% refusal rate for B visas, so be prepared the outcome may not be what you want it to be.

35 minutes ago, missileman said:

And even harder if the law abiding individual is caught lying at her interview.

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 hour ago, Alice L said:

So again my qs what should be written in ds 160 actual intention of stay?

The truth!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My mother in law received a visitor visa last year. She's never worked, her husband passed away in 2014 and she's 65 years old.

No one can tell you her chances. She just needs to apply and tell the truth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.