Annikena

SSN - can I apply right when I get to U.S?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Annikena said:

Thank you! I appreciate it :) So as soon as the I-94 is available I can just go and apply for the SSN? Do you know when it is available?

The electronic I-94 is literally in the system a day or two after your arrival.  SS will see it in the system.  

Edited by Juniper

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
Just now, Juniper said:

The electronic I-94 is literally in the system a day or two after you arrival.  SS will see it in the system.  You don't have to go get your I-94.

Yes that is what I meant - when can I retrieve it from the system. Sorry about the confusion :) Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Annikena said:

Thank you! I appreciate it :) So as soon as the I-94 is available I can just go and apply for the SSN? Do you know when it is available?

Have you seen this guide?  https://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Juniper said:

You did not ask a question regarding what I am writing about next. The members response to you is probably with the following spirit I can relate to after going through the K-visa process.

With a K-visa, yes you can get Social Security card relatively quickly, however,  since you are probably a very active person, you are probably not going to like the following aspects of the K-visa path. 

You won't be able to get a State ID/Driver's License and/or work legally until 3-4 months after your I-485 gets filed with work document requested, which is filed after you get married. 

I went through this very difficult time and it really can test one's patience when I have been driving all of my adult life.  Imagine ... you want to plan for a wedding and you can't drive legally.  So I used Uber/Lyft a lot and did a lot of things like a tourist and took English classes ... free ones for immigrants at a local college and met a lot of friends that way.

Congratulations on your visa and hang in there with the K-visa difficulties to having a normal life until after you get your work document.

Actually if you have an international drivers license you can drive.  Great information though. I will benefit from it as well. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Timeline
Just now, SJordanS said:

Actually if you have an international drivers license you can drive.  Great information though. I will benefit from it as well. 

Are you sure about that? From my understanding when reading up on it stated that we cant. Did you ask at the DMV?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Annikena said:

Are you sure about that? From my understanding when reading up on it stated that we cant. Did you ask at the DMV?

I did not ask the DMV. I am reciting from other members here on VJ and on Facebook groups. Im not sure the process for obtaining it in your home country, but it is allowed. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, SJordanS said:

Differs by state 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Differs by state 

probably so. that im not sure of but in california you can drive with an international license.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
30 minutes ago, SJordanS said:

Somehow I posted this response to the wrong thread, so reposting here ...

In my particular case, I had an international driver's license and this is what happened to me:

The international driver's license in the USA was good enough for rental car companies but for our family's Iowa auto insurance policy for personal cars I needed a valid Iowa state driver's license. 

Auto insurance is regulated state by state.  So, I could not drive legally until getting EAD card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Go the minute you land. I came thru LAX with my fiancee in November. Either print your I94 at the airport if you have lounge access, or there is a Staples office supplies 1 mile from LAX in the near vicinity of the In-N-Out burger. So maybe the double double burger animal style first, then print I94 at the Staples print and copy center, you can have the SS card application filled out before you land ( Print it out online) , then the closest SS office is posted below. If you land at night, first thing the next day. If they give you an issue that your not in the system because they will see you just arrived, calmly but firmly ask them to please check. You will more than likely be in the system. My fiancee at the time was in the system the next day( less than 18 hours after coming thru POE) had card in 2 weeks. Went to DMV day after receiving SS card with her card, passport, translated birth certificate just in case, and had no problem getting a state ID card, wouldn't worry about a license right away, but you want to get in the system so when you go to get your license it makes things much easier. It will also make opening bank accounts and doing just about anything here once you have the state ID. My wife was a witness to a crime here in Vegas ( big surprise). And was able to show her ID to police for identification. Nothing has come of it so far, but was good she had it.

Screenshot_20190407-130521.jpg

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Loren Y said:

Go the minute you land. I came thru LAX with my fiancee in November. Either print your I94 at the airport if you have lounge access, or there is a Staples office supplies 1 mile from LAX in the near vicinity of the In-N-Out burger. So maybe the double double burger animal style first, then print I94 at the Staples print and copy center, you can have the SS card application filled out before you land ( Print it out online) , then the closest SS office is posted below. If you land at night, first thing the next day. If they give you an issue that your not in the system because they will see you just arrived, calmly but firmly ask them to please check. You will more than likely be in the system. My fiancee at the time was in the system the next day( less than 18 hours after coming thru POE) had card in 2 weeks. Went to DMV day after receiving SS card with her card, passport, translated birth certificate just in case, and had no problem getting a state ID card, wouldn't worry about a license right away, but you want to get in the system so when you go to get your license it makes things much easier. It will also make opening bank accounts and doing just about anything here once you have the state ID. My wife was a witness to a crime here in Vegas ( big surprise). And was able to show her ID to police for identification. Nothing has come of it so far, but was good she had it.

Screenshot_20190407-130521.jpg

Thank you for your detailed reply! It is highly appreciated :) 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Annikena said:

I was able to access and print the I94 while waiting for our bags 5 minutes after coming thru POE. It is truly that fast, I couldn't believe it myself. The instructions on the form you fill out tells you everything you need, but the I94 is the most important thing. Then they usually want to see your Visa and the entry stamp in your passport at the office.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

To clarify some of the posts I see above. The international driving permit is what it actually is, not really a license. It provides a translation of your home driving license showing what class of vehicles you can operate. When you are driving in a foreign country your passport is technically your license, but it is handy to have both. 

Also, in most countries it depends on your Visa type you enter on for  driving privileges. If you are here on a tourist visa, it is not an issue, but if you enter on a immigration Visa (K1, etc.) You usually can't drive. Some states give you 30 days or so, but this will depend on the officer that stops you also, but if you have your passport, and insurance you should be ok, but check this out beforehand. There are insurance companies that will insure you even without a license, but the cost is more than it is worth to be able to drive. Better Uber or public transportation.

2 hours ago, SJordanS said:

California requires new residents to get a CA license within 10 days of arriving. In some cases that is as good as impossible because the wait for an appointment at the busier city DMVs is more than 10 days anyway. Might be better to go to a smaller, more rural location where wait times might not be so crazy. 

Overseas licenses are fine for visitors. But not for residents. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.