Sunny_Skies123

Several questions regarding application

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am currently in the process of doing the I-129F form to bring my fiancé from Canada to the US. I read online that USCIS prefers if you fill out the forms electronically and then print them. However, when I try to fill out the form online, it does not let me type in certain sections of the form. The problem is primarily in part 9 (address information), part 38 (previous spouse information), and probably other sections as well. I have tried downloading the form numerous times and it always happens. I hate to fill out the form in ink because I do not have nice writing. Any suggestions?

I also had a question regarding Part 8, Additional Information. When adding information, how do I indicate which Part and Item Numbers? I have to add a job for each of us in this section, do I use the same numbers and letters that are used in the main section of the packet?

- I lived in a dorm room for 3 months almost 3 years ago. Do I need to include that address on the form? 

- I do not know my exact start/end dates for two of my jobs and I am not sure if I can get that information. Will that be an issue?

Thanks in advance for helpful responses!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Hello,

I am currently in the process of doing the I-129F form to bring my fiancé from Canada to the US. I read online that USCIS prefers if you fill out the forms electronically and then print them.

Was this reading from some official uscis memorandum?

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

They can prefer all they want but if the form wont allow you can't do anything but fill it in manually 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

On my application I couldn't type everything in on the computer either, so the ones I couldn't do by the computer I filled in the answers with a black ink pen. I submitted my request in December and the Noa2 was approved in March with no issues good luck.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Nina2330 said:

On my application I couldn't type everything in on the computer either, so the ones I couldn't do by the computer I filled in the answers with a black ink pen. I submitted my request in December and the Noa2 was approved in March with no issues good luck.

So you typed what you could on the computer, then used ink for the parts that you couldn't?

We use a free web based program for filling in forms.   Dochub.com     Then we have a copy online if we ever need it.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

26 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

So you typed what you could on the computer, then used ink for the parts that you couldn't?

Yes I did

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Hello,

I am currently in the process of doing the I-129F form to bring my fiancé from Canada to the US. I read online that USCIS prefers if you fill out the forms electronically and then print them. However, when I try to fill out the form online, it does not let me type in certain sections of the form. The problem is primarily in part 9 (address information), part 38 (previous spouse information), and probably other sections as well. I have tried downloading the form numerous times and it always happens.

If the problem is not being able to type in certain sections, make sure you've checked the appropriate text boxes before you try and fill things in.

Assuming the form hasn't change significantly since last year ... if you don't check 'no' in 8.j. to indicate your physical address is different than your mailing address, you won't be able to answer question 9 (because it's not needed). And if you don't check one of Apt. Ste. or Flr. in 9.b., you won't be able to fill in the text box there either.

The same goes for question 38; if you checked 'no' on question 37, you won't be able to fill out previous spouse information (because you said you didn't have one).

In my experience, some of the logic behind this only works correctly in Acrobat Reader, not in other PDF viewers.

If the problem is insufficient space or not being able to type in the correct characters, you'll have to write by hand.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
6 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

If the problem is not being able to type in certain sections, make sure you've checked the appropriate text boxes before you try and fill things in.

Assuming the form hasn't change significantly since last year ... if you don't check 'no' in 8.j. to indicate your physical address is different than your mailing address, you won't be able to answer question 9 (because it's not needed). And if you don't check one of Apt. Ste. or Flr. in 9.b., you won't be able to fill in the text box there either.

The same goes for question 38; if you checked 'no' on question 37, you won't be able to fill out previous spouse information (because you said you didn't have one).

In my experience, some of the logic behind this only works correctly in Acrobat Reader, not in other PDF viewers.

If the problem is insufficient space or not being able to type in the correct characters, you'll have to write by hand.

What about my previous two addresses? I put my first address second, but I lived in a dorm room for 3 months. Do I need to include that in the additional information section or does it not matter?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

What about my previous two addresses? I put my first address second, but I lived in a dorm room for 3 months. Do I need to include that in the additional information section or does it not matter?

If you actually had a mailing address there (so don't include hotels, vacation rentals, etc.), then include it in the additional information section. It's pretty clear that you need to include all physical addresses for the last five years, so your current one is either from question 8 or 9, the one before that in question 11, and anything beyond that in additional information.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
5 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

If you actually had a mailing address there (so don't include hotels, vacation rentals, etc.), then include it in the additional information section. It's pretty clear that you need to include all physical addresses for the last five years, so your current one is either from question 8 or 9, the one before that in question 11, and anything beyond that in additional information.

Do you know how to specify what part and item numbers for that? If I use the numbers in those sections, then I'm using the same numbers that are listed for the other jobs/addresses. If I use number 13 for the third job I have to list in the additional section, I already used 13 for the first job I listed in the main section.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
13 hours ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Hello,

I am currently in the process of doing the I-129F form to bring my fiancé from Canada to the US. I read online that USCIS prefers if you fill out the forms electronically and then print them. However, when I try to fill out the form online, it does not let me type in certain sections of the form. The problem is primarily in part 9 (address information), part 38 (previous spouse information), and probably other sections as well. I have tried downloading the form numerous times and it always happens. I hate to fill out the form in ink because I do not have nice writing. Any suggestions?

I also had a question regarding Part 8, Additional Information. When adding information, how do I indicate which Part and Item Numbers? I have to add a job for each of us in this section, do I use the same numbers and letters that are used in the main section of the packet?

- I lived in a dorm room for 3 months almost 3 years ago. Do I need to include that address on the form? 

- I do not know my exact start/end dates for two of my jobs and I am not sure if I can get that information. Will that be an issue?

Thanks in advance for helpful responses!

Hi.  When reading their info, I missed seeing the place where USCIS says they prefer you file I-129F form online vs hand-written.  They don't discriminate on how the form is completed.  USCIS is more interested in getting the form completed properly & honestly.  To me, it was an advantage to legibly hand write & complete the form.  Areas that I needed to explain, I was able to add an attachment explaining certain things.  Also, there is a page towards the end that allows you to provide more hand-written information.  You can type the form online & hand write in some.  I prefer to just do everything the same, so ours was hand-written.  We were approved in 5 months.  Best wishes as you start your journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.