je55y681

British Citizen-interview is in Montreal

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, JessESSimpson said:

Hey,

I am a British Citizen, our interview is going to be in Montreal. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Question best posted in Canadian regional forum 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, JessESSimpson said:

Hey,

I am a British Citizen, our interview is going to be in Montreal. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Do you live in Canada? The interview occurs where the person actually lives, not necessary at the country of citizenship.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Yup lots of us! As long as you have legal status in Canada at the time of your interview you're good. 

My fiance is an Irish citizen, Canadian PR and we just interviewed in MTL. We were K1, so to be honest I'm not sure if this rule applies across ALL visa types though, so keep that in mind. 

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

On 4/6/2019 at 11:43 AM, MeghanK said:

Yup lots of us! As long as you have legal status in Canada at the time of your interview you're good. 

My fiance is an Irish citizen, Canadian PR and we just interviewed in MTL. We were K1, so to be honest I'm not sure if this rule applies across ALL visa types though, so keep that in mind. 

This person is a friend of mine and I told them to post here for advice. That's what I thought too, but this person is not a permanent resident of Canada nor has any visa for Canada. Currently lives in UK. Was advised by their lawyer that the K-1 interview is happening in Montreal. Surely this is incorrect? I would hate the person to have everything sorted for the interview and be refused because they are not a resident of Canada, only to add more wait time to have it rectified. Any help would be great, cheers!

Edited by Markus81

12 minutes ago, Markus81 said:

This person is a friend of mine and I told them to post here for advice. That's what I thought too, but this person is not a permanent resident of Canada nor has any visa for Canada. Currently lives in UK. Was advised by their lawyer that the K-1 interview is happening in Montreal. Surely this is incorrect? I would hate the person to have everything sorted for the interview and be refused because they are not a resident of Canada, only to add more wait time to have it rectified. Any help would be great, cheers!

Oooooo yeah, sounds like a huge mistake to me, or at least I have never heard of anything like this. If they are living in the UK they should have interview in the UK. It's absolutely worth questioning. Could be an error on the lawyer's part - that is definitely a common thing we see here. Could have been a slip of the hand when selecting interview location on the DS-160, or any other number of mistakes, but I definitely don't think it is correct.  

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Markus81 said:

What? that does not even make sense, did the UK resident spend a lot of time in Canada or something? I don't see how the Canadian embassy will even verify your british citizen's police record if they don't have any logs of who this person is at all ??

Haha I know right! Makes no sense. Police checks- they will have evidence of being a UK citizen and resident and will produce the UK police check at the time of the interview so I think that’s all that would be needed in that regard. As for Canada, since they enter Canada on a tourist visa  obviously they are a tourist and won’t need a Canadian police check.?.

I would just love to know if anyone else has done this - doing the k-1 interview in a country not of their residence. Please anyone that has - answer this post! 

You cant interview in Montreal on a tourist visa. You need a work or student visa, or be a PR. 

What is their case number start with from the NVC?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

So they are physically IN Canada right now on a tourist visa? And their visa is valid through the date of the interview? As far as I have seen, tourist visas are not eligible to interview in MTL, I guess your friend will find out! 

Keep in mind - your consulate is not ASSIGNED - your consulate is selected BY THE PERSON who applies, and again when they fill out the DS-160. Did they select UK but were told to go to Canada and NOT UK? I'm very confused. Was their current/mailing address on the I-129f listed as in Canada or UK? When they submitted their P3 were they asked to send in proof of status in Canada before getting Packet 4?

When is their interview?

Edited by MeghanK

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

31 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

So they are physically IN Canada right now on a tourist visa? And their visa is valid through the date of the interview? As far as I have seen, tourist visas are not eligible to interview in MTL, I guess your friend will find out! 

Keep in mind - your consulate is not ASSIGNED - your consulate is selected BY THE PERSON who applies, and again when they fill out the DS-160. Did they select UK but were told to go to Canada and NOT UK? I'm very confused. Was their current/mailing address on the I-129f listed as in Canada or UK? When they submitted their P3 were they asked to send in proof of status in Canada before getting Packet 4?

When is their interview?

No they are not in Canada right now. They are in UK. Mailing address is UK. Everything UK. LOL. I think the lawyer selected Montreal for faster processing time but it is concerning since both people have nothing to do with Canada at all. Just dealing with US and UK citizen living in.. yep the US and the UK respectively. I guess we will find out the conclusion to this story soon. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think the Lawyer made a mistake and nobody picked it up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

34 minutes ago, Markus81 said:

No they are not in Canada right now. They are in UK. Mailing address is UK. Everything UK. LOL. I think the lawyer selected Montreal for faster processing time but it is concerning since both people have nothing to do with Canada at all. Just dealing with US and UK citizen living in.. yep the US and the UK respectively. I guess we will find out the conclusion to this story soon. 

Yikes. You should really tell your friend they need to look into getting this corrected. It makes no sense. And that lawyer should probably be fired. There is pretty much a 100% chance they will go all the way to Montreal and be told to go home. You don't get to pick and choose any consulate in the world you want to interview at. 

Edited by MeghanK

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.