IsabelleFredrick

Anyone moved without their kids?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline

My husband has a daughter back in Cuba. His ex-wife was already remarried and living with the daughter and the daughter's new little brother a few hours away though, so it honestly hasn't changed how often he sees her in practice (transportation is difficult in Cuba). I know he misses her terribly, but he knew she was already in a stable place and well taken care of (and that his ex would never give consent for her to leave). He goes back every 3 months or so to visit and calls her a few times a week. Once she's 18, she can make the decision if she'd like to come here and one of us will sponsor her.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

ROC

Package Sent: 1/13/20

NOA1 (MSC): 1/16/20

Biometrics Notice: 1/31/20

Biometrics Appt: 2/12/20 (walked in early 2/6)

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled: 10/21/20

Interview Scheduled: 5/12/21

Interview Date: 6/17/21 - Approved!

New Card is Being Produced: 6/17/21

Card Was Mailed to You: 6/21/21

Case Was Approved: 6/22/21

Card Was Picked Up by USPS: 6/23/21

Card in Hand: 6/24/21

Yes, I had to make the horrible decision to move without taking my kids with me.. :(

When it came to the 'pro's and cons' so to speak, it was pretty much a no-win situation as somebody will always have to miss somebody, but the thing that I absolutely did not want to do was taking the father to court because I wanted to bring the kids to The States with me. That was a big no-go for me as I do not think that that is a fair thing to do and it will completely destroy the relation between the parents.

It has been the hardest decision I ever had to make, but at the end of the day I had to look at what would be the least painful for the kids and I did not want to take them away from other family members, their school and friends and of course their father. It is very important to have a good parenting plan in place, so both parents are available for the kids and stay tuned in with all that happens in their lives. This has to be the priority.

I  am still hoping however, that when the dust of the shock settles a little bit, things might change and the kids will move here too..

Of course, I am just writing the short version here. It was a very hard decision and I have lost people (other than my kids) in my life over this. But trust me, this is a decision that nobody wants to take, or would take lightly..

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

A friend of mine lives in Phoenix now and his 9 year old daughter is in Australia.  He sees her 3-4 times a year for 1-2 weeks at a time and has set Skype dates with her every few days. When she's older, my friends ex has said that she'll be OK with their daughter traveling to visit him on holidays and such, but she won't agree to her living there nor traveling alone at this age. 

TBH I don't think it's a fair thing to do to kids anyhow.  It's not just taking kids away from their other parent - it's the rest of their extended family (in many cases including your own siblings/parents), their friends, school, their whole culture and language (in many cases at least).  It's one thing if they're older teenagers and can make a semi-informed decision, but totally different when it's a younger child that you're responsible for making the best choices for.

This is the reality of being divorced from someone that you are co-parenting children with. My ex and I have had joint custody, and we couldn't even move out of the school district, let alone across the world, without a protracted court thing.  My kids are grown now (well, youngest turns 18 next week), and we still live one mile from each other.  I believe my boys have greatly benefited by having both of their parents in their daily lives even though we chose not to be married to each other.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
16 hours ago, Daphne K said:

Yes, I had to make the horrible decision to move without taking my kids with me.. :(

When it came to the 'pro's and cons' so to speak, it was pretty much a no-win situation as somebody will always have to miss somebody, but the thing that I absolutely did not want to do was taking the father to court because I wanted to bring the kids to The States with me. That was a big no-go for me as I do not think that that is a fair thing to do and it will completely destroy the relation between the parents.

It has been the hardest decision I ever had to make, but at the end of the day I had to look at what would be the least painful for the kids and I did not want to take them away from other family members, their school and friends and of course their father. It is very important to have a good parenting plan in place, so both parents are available for the kids and stay tuned in with all that happens in their lives. This has to be the priority.

I  am still hoping however, that when the dust of the shock settles a little bit, things might change and the kids will move here too..

Of course, I am just writing the short version here. It was a very hard decision and I have lost people (other than my kids) in my life over this. But trust me, this is a decision that nobody wants to take, or would take lightly..

Do you mind if we chat privately? Im in the same position xxx

I moved to the USA and my child chose to stay in Canada with dad.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to moving here and your new life from IR1/CR1 process and procedures.  Q is not about IR1/CR1 process~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:04 AM, IsabelleFredrick said:

Has anyone had this issue in their timeline? My friend's kid's father wont give her consent to relocate with the child.. 

What on earth to do?! has anyone made a way to make this work well where one won't have to give up love or a child? 

What country?

The ones I am familiar with if you have child out without being married then the father has no say so over the child.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

What country?

The ones I am familiar with if you have child out without being married then the father has no say so over the child.

PI yes, most Countries no.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

What country?

OP is from South Africa and if the friend is also from there then she has a huge uphill battle. SA has some of the strictest laws in the world regarding children traveling through its ports of entry and exit. Even two parents traveling together with their own children on a family vacation can be required to show full birth certificates for the children and where a child is being taken out of the country by one parent only, they need a huge amount of paperwork, even if they are just going on a short trip and coming back again. 

http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/statements-speeches/621-updated-advisory-new-requirements-for-children-travelling-through-south-african-ports-of-entry

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My cousin was in your shoes. She moved to the US without the child but came back to visit regularly. After a couple years, the father changed his mind and the kid just got a visa to come to the US with her. 

TimeLine

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2007-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) : none

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-30

NVC Received : 2007-11-05

NVC Left : 2007-11-06

Consulate Received : 2007-11-09

Packet 3 Received : 2007-11-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-11-23

Packet 4 Received : 2007-12-16

Medical Taken : 2008-01-03

Medical Passed : 2008-01-04

Interview Date : 2008-01-11

Interview Passed : 2008-01-11

Visa Issue : January 18th 2008

USA ENTRY : January 23rd 2008

POE Entry : Seattle Washington

Wedding : February 9th 2008

Social Security Card Received: February 19th 2008

Civil Surgeon I693 signed : April 14th Vaccinations Complete.

AOS: Sent on April 15th 2008 USPS Confirmed . April 17th 4:56 Am

AOS: Hard Copy Received NOA1 April 22nd all 3 arrived same day.

Biometrics : Received Appointment Letter Today April 27th = May 23rd 2008 10 am appointment

Transfered CSC June 4th

EAD: Approved June 13th 2008

EAD: Recieved Card June 18th 2008

AP: Approved June 13th 2008

AP: Received June 18th 2008

AOS:touched :Card ordered July 26th

Approval: AOS : Aug 4th

Green Card :Received : Aug 5th with Welcome Letter . 2 years Dated July 26th

Thank You USCIS

Thank You Visa Journey...........................

• 2 weeks later...

seems like most will have to make THE tough decision, the partner or their child on who they will end up living close to, unless you can get the ex to agree to moving the child. I dont envy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.