Aska

K1 Visa Interview - case returned to NVC

130 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Elizabethlh said:

What would be the best answer for this question? 

Ditto, because everyone suggesting that visiting too much is a bad thing is kind of ridiculous in my mind. Obviously people miss each other and the only option to be together is for the USC to visit, doesn't mean they enjoy spending thousands on air fare and other traveling expenses. The whole point of the K1 is to put an end to all this traveling ASAP.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
1 minute ago, Shellimedz said:

Ditto, because everyone suggesting that visiting too much is a bad thing is kind of ridiculous in my mind. Obviously people miss each other and the only option to be together is for the USC to visit, doesn't mean they enjoy spending thousands on air fare and other traveling expenses. The whole point of the K1 is to put an end to all this traveling ASAP.  

Right? I mean I Traveled to Cuba 5 times in less than a year. ( yes spend thousands of dollars )  Will that be seen as a red flag?  It's crazy. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I don't completely agree with everyone stating it's definitely dead when it gets send back. I know people who had their interview (different consulate tho), visa couldn't be approved because of police records obtained at the interview and the consulate sent the whole package back to USCIS. Person got approved about 2 months later, after USCIS went over everything again.

Is there a chance that the petition will sit at a desk forever and will expire eventually or get denied? Yes, of course. But there's also a chance USCIS has to look over something that came to light at the interview and they'll make a decision in the next few months. I wouldn't withdraw the K1 right away, I would wait a few months, keep in touch with the embassy/NVC/USCIS (wherever your petition is at that point) and if after a few months it isn't going anywhere you could always look into CR1 (depending on the reason why K1 would be denied, I didn't read all 5 pages on this post)

2 minutes ago, C90 said:

I don't completely agree with everyone stating it's definitely dead when it gets send back. I know people who had their interview (different consulate tho), visa couldn't be approved because of police records obtained at the interview and the consulate sent the whole package back to USCIS. Person got approved about 2 months later, after USCIS went over everything again.

Is there a chance that the petition will sit at a desk forever and will expire eventually or get denied? Yes, of course. But there's also a chance USCIS has to look over something that came to light at the interview and they'll make a decision in the next few months. I wouldn't withdraw the K1 right away, I would wait a few months, keep in touch with the embassy/NVC/USCIS (wherever your petition is at that point) and if after a few months it isn't going anywhere you could always look into CR1 (depending on the reason why K1 would be denied, I didn't read all 5 pages on this post)

I'm with you, there is so much negativity on this board and at the end of the day most of us don't know what actually goes on behind the scenes. If there was no chance it could change I'm sure they would say just that. Just like all the message boards saying don't send anything to fix your I-129F before you get an RFE, I sure did it anyways and it worked out just fine. There's probably a low chance it will get fixed, but if you spent your money and time then do your best to see it through, there aren't that many EXPERTS on this forum and many people are probably just repeating what they've learned here. 

8 minutes ago, Elizabethlh said:

Right? I mean I Traveled to Cuba 5 times in less than a year. ( yes spend thousands of dollars )  Will that be seen as a red flag?  It's crazy. 

Five times in 14 months for me. A lot longer flight, too. Not a red flag but we may both be crazy)))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Understand the context and culture of the applicant.   The applicant does NOT live in Cuba.

I am so happy that I have only petitioned in countries where more is in fact better)))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, boris64 said:

Five times in 14 months for me. A lot longer flight, too. Not a red flag but we may both be crazy)))

Yes!! Crazy in love haha. I can't  go more than 3 months without seeing him. Now I am trying to be strong and not go until we have our interview :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, boris64 said:

I am so happy that I have only petitioned in countries where more is in fact better)))

What is frustrating is all the supposed reasons given in this thread are other people's opinions who don't know the OP and were not present. The OP lived the interview and likely knows EXACTLY where the interview went wrong and thus the underlying reason.  If it was solely due to not having the original document then the consulate could have given a 221g for it.  

YMMV

30 minutes ago, Elizabethlh said:

What would be the best answer for this question? 

This should be a forum topic all in itself. I've thought about this quite a few times and I've thought of a couple. I'm not saying they're good answers btw.

1. You've known your fiance for a fairly short amount of time. K1 gives you some time (during process) and before marriage (90 days) to kind of test out the waters prior to the actual marriage. 

2. Allows your family to get to know your fiance before you get married to them. Chances are that your family isn't traveling to Islamabad to meet him/her, when they get to the US they can get acquainted instead of marrying a stranger (stranger to them) in a foreign land. 

3. I'm my mother's only daughter. It's more important for her to attend and plan a big wedding for me than it is for my male fiance. 

4. Not wanting to live apart after you're actually married. This just kinda sucks, wedding, honeymoon, 1 year wait to live together :( . 

Let me know if you can think of anything else. My main reason was that I knew I wanted to marry him but I was afraid that a CR1 might be denied because I filed after four months. Also, my family would have had a couple cows. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Shellimedz said:

I'm with you, there is so much negativity on this board and at the end of the day most of us don't know what actually goes on behind the scenes. If there was no chance it could change I'm sure they would say just that. Just like all the message boards saying don't send anything to fix your I-129F before you get an RFE, I sure did it anyways and it worked out just fine. There's probably a low chance it will get fixed, but if you spent your money and time then do your best to see it through, there aren't that many EXPERTS on this forum and many people are probably just repeating what they've learned here. 

Can I ask what type of correction you made in your application?   I also thought about correcting something but was not sure if I should wait. 

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

What is frustrating is all the supposed reasons given in this thread are other people's opinions who don't know the OP and were not present. The OP lived the interview and likely knows EXACTLY where the interview went wrong and thus the underlying reason.  If it was solely due to not having the original document then the consulate could have given a 221g for it.  

Absolutely....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Elizabethlh said:

Hardly so, unless it is clearly out of cultural norms. We had 4 vacations together in 15 months preceding the interview and the 5th visit was the interview. The CO was tired to type all of them into his file but obviously did consider it as a proof of genuine relationship. We did have red flags though and it wasn't the issue

4 minutes ago, Elizabethlh said:

Yes!! Crazy in love haha. I can't  go more than 3 months without seeing him. Now I am trying to be strong and not go until we have our interview :(

Me too lol. I've gone back and forth every two months or so and I'm holding off until the interview as well since I got my NOA2 on the day I left for my last visit. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Shellimedz said:

This should be a forum topic all in itself. I've thought about this quite a few times and I've thought of a couple. I'm not saying they're good answers btw.

1. You've known your fiance for a fairly short amount of time. K1 gives you some time (during process) and before marriage (90 days) to kind of test out the waters prior to the actual marriage. 

2. Allows your family to get to know your fiance before you get married to them. Chances are that your family isn't traveling to Islamabad to meet him/her, when they get to the US they can get acquainted instead of marrying a stranger (stranger to them) in a foreign land. 

3. I'm my mother's only daughter. It's more important for her to attend and plan a big wedding for me than it is for my male fiance. 

4. Not wanting to live apart after you're actually married. This just kinda sucks, wedding, honeymoon, 1 year wait to live together :( . 

Let me know if you can think of anything else. My main reason was that I knew I wanted to marry him but I was afraid that a CR1 might be denied because I filed after four months. Also, my family would have had a couple cows. 

Thank you :) I also filed a little over 6 months after . I waited to get my divorce done. So I filed right after I was legally divorced. I've been separated for 4 years but never filed my divorce as I wasn't planning to get married again so I really did not pay any mind to it.  ( how life works right? ) So that concerns me a little but hey I love this man  and  I have faith everything will turn out fine. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.