darth vader

How long can a green card holder stay outside US?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Thanks for all your replies. I wanted to see if there is anyway I can hold off moving to US for another several months since my wife ended up getting a once in a lifetime opportunity here in Canada. One year at her current job will give her some really valuable job experience, doing wonders for her career. But looks like we will just have to apply again in a few years. I really wanted to avoid having to apply again since the process sucks so much.

Any ideas on what kind of impact would not activating my green card would have on my future IR1 application? TIA.

You have 6 months from the medical to use your visa. Check the date on it, and wait until it's close and cross to get it endorsed. Then you would only be out of the US for about 6 months hopefully. 

There is no impact other then starting all over. As DCF does not happen in Canada and it will be gone soon by the sounds of it. So the only impact will be paying for everything all over again with the waiting game and then dealing with Montreal's very strict proof of the USC being in the US living and working before granting the visa. 

I really would try to hold off on getting your visa endorsed until just a few days to a week before it expires. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

You have 6 months from the medical to use your visa. Check the date on it, and wait until it's close and cross to get it endorsed. Then you would only be out of the US for about 6 months hopefully. 

There is no impact other then starting all over. As DCF does not happen in Canada and it will be gone soon by the sounds of it. So the only impact will be paying for everything all over again with the waiting game and then dealing with Montreal's very strict proof of the USC being in the US living and working before granting the visa. 

I really would try to hold off on getting your visa endorsed until just a few days to a week before it expires. 

This is pretty spot on. Let's say that I activate my green card and come back, we wait for my wife to finish up her project - and we both move back together after 5-6 months. I am still worried that the CBP officer could say that I have abandoned my green card status.

I know this would be anecdotal at best - but have folks here actually seen cases where CBP officers revoke green card for absence of less than 6 months? If so, would short weekend trips during those 6 months help or hurt?

Thank you everyone for your descriptive answers. It is not easy to absorb everything when going through a tough decision making process, and your answers help a lot.

Edited by darth vader

1 hour ago, darth vader said:

Thanks for all your replies. I wanted to see if there is anyway I can hold off moving to US for another several months since my wife ended up getting a once in a lifetime opportunity here in Canada. One year at her current job will give her some really valuable job experience, doing wonders for her career. But looks like we will just have to apply again in a few years. I really wanted to avoid having to apply again since the process sucks so much.

Any ideas on what kind of impact would not activating my green card would have on my future IR1 application? TIA.

With such an opportunity for a USC spouse in Canada, how was she able to show a US domicile?

The process does not suck, it is fairly straightforward for those who truly intend to follow the IV rules and have the documentation to prove it. Show us another nation's immigration system as liberal as the US'. Feel free to ask questions once you both decide to leave Canada. 

It appears that you tried to game the system by activating a green card when you have no (current) intention of living in the US. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

40 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

It appears that you tried to game the system by activating a green card when you have no (current) intention of living in the US. 

It appears that you are making assumptions and not actually reading my post and comments. Where did I claim that I have activated my green card? I have reported your comment for personal insult which is against this forum's rules. Get off your high horse and stop seeing plots/conspiracies where they simply do not exist. People's circumstances change during this very long process. I am simply trying to see if I can abide by all rules and still avoid having to refile for an IR1 at a later date and be able to use the current visa. If I can, great, if I cant, that's OK too. But please tell me what the hell is wrong in trying to learn about options and make informed decisions without breaking any rules?

Edited by darth vader

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, darth vader said:

It appears that you are making assumptions and not actually reading my post and comments. Where did I claim that I have activated my green card? I have reported your comment for personal insult which is against this forum's rules. Get off your high horse and stop seeing plots/conspiracies where they simply do not exist. People's circumstances change during this very long process. I am simply trying to see if I can abide by all rules and still avoid having to refile for an IR1 at a later date and be able to use the current visa. If I can, great, if I cant, that's OK too. But please tell me what the hell is wrong in trying to learn about options and make informed decisions without breaking any rules?

I entered Sept 2 on IR5 and had to return to Australia 6 weeks later to finish up my job, finalise the house contents shipping etc.. returned to the US 10 weeks later, using my stamped visa. I had no problems but my time out was shorter and my husband remained in the US during that time.. those 2 differences would have made it less likely that I would have been seen as possibly abandoning the GC residency. 

One of the challenges is that reentry into the US for everyone other than USC is at the discretion of the CBP Officer .. it’s never as simple as ticking all the boxes and being certain. The rules aren’t that cut and dry 

But the CBP has no authority to remove your Resident  status.. or confiscate your GC.. they must follow the law which required you to be referred for a hearing in front of an immigration  judge .. which can take years .. and may or may not involved being detained .., 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Let's respond kindly to one another, folks.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 4/5/2019 at 9:56 PM, darth vader said:

On 4/4/2019 at 7:16 PM, darth vader said:

I plan to travel to collect my plastic green card and for vacation.

The bold above could be construed as gaming the system. You have to live in the US, not collect plastic green cards and vacation here. 

I did misphrase one thing.. should've phrased that your wording made it appear to be trying to game the system rather than tried (past tense) since you have yet to enter on an IR1. But no high horses here. And might serve everyone well to take posts as constructive and not be personally insulted. This is a public forum for all to post. 

I-751 journey

17 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

And might serve everyone well to take posts as constructive and not be personally insulted.

Sure. However is the below baiting attempt constructive?

On 4/5/2019 at 9:18 PM, WeGuyGal said:

The process does not suck, it is fairly straightforward for those who truly intend to follow the IV rules and have the documentation to prove it. Show us another nation's immigration system as liberal as the US'.

I never compared US immigration system to any other nation, nor did I say it wasn't liberal. I still refuse to take the bait, thank you very much.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:18 PM, WeGuyGal said:

Feel free to ask questions once you both decide to leave Canada.

Discouraging other posters by telling them when they can and  can not post is also against the forum rules. I wish you would familiarize yourself with forum rules, and truly practice what you preach.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by darth vader

12 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Discouraging other posters by telling them when they can and  can not post is also against the forum rules. I wish you would familiarize yourself with forum rules, and truly practice what you preach.

I have (familiarized), thank you. 

And absolutely no discouragement, all are free to post within the terms of the ToS. 

Now  :ot2: :) 

I-751 journey

Well, thanks a lot folks for all the answers/comments. It looks like we might end up staying for now. It is a bit disheartening but in the long run, I know my wife and I both will have good things come out of it.

Another question at this point - I tried to avoid travel to US in the past and planned to go to US once I have the IR1 visa. But, I can no longer avoid travel to US anymore specially for work meetings given that most of my clients are Americans. So, given that we do not want to permanently move to the US, but stay in Canada as permanent residents for now, which one of the following is most advisable:

1. Do a quick green card activation and surrender it ASAP(can one surrender the stamped IR1 visa instead of physical green card)?

2. Surrendering/cancelling IR1 visa without activating it(is that even possible)?

3. Not activating IR1 visa and just applying for a travel visa once the IR1 visa has expired?

I am from a non visa-exempt country, and Canadian PRs can't travel to US without a travel visa or some other valid visa.

Thanks so much everyone from bottom of my heart. You folks have been immensely helpful. Hopefully we'll see you all in a few years, I'll try to keep active on the forum though.

Edited by darth vader

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Contact the US Consulate and cancel the visa.  DO NOT USE IT UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY INTEND TO IMMIGRATE. 

Do not let it expire in the hope of getting a non-immigrant visa.  An NIV could be deny for immigrant intent even with an expired immigration visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Any more bickering and this thread will be locked, with administrative action applied.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, darth vader said:

which one of the following is most advisable:

1. Do a quick green card activation and surrender it ASAP(can one surrender the stamped IR1 visa instead of physical green card)?

2. Surrendering/cancelling IR1 visa without activating it(is that even possible)?

3. Not activating IR1 visa and just applying for a travel visa once the IR1 visa has expired?

#2.  Yes, it is possible.

Out of curiosity--- how many physical days have you acquired as a Canadian PR/how far are you away from eligibility for Canadian citizenship?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

34 minutes ago, Going through said:

#2.  Yes, it is possible.

Out of curiosity--- how many physical days have you acquired as a Canadian PR/how far are you away from eligibility for Canadian citizenship?

My wife and I have around 15 months out of 36 months required. So a little less than two years to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.