bdglen

"Detailed Personal Interview"?????

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

They had written "18 years age gap" on our also but nothing about a detailed interview and hardly got asked anything and nothing about age at all. 

Good luck and keep us updated! 

23 year gap. Asked a total of four questions at interview. Nothing about age gap. But, then again we were at the Manila embassy)))))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

Definitely need to update us here with what questions are asked because it sounds like it will be in depth. They possibly suspect potential fraud in the case most likely, hence "detailed interview" requested. 

It also makes me wonder, is it the NVC that can dictate what type of questions are asked at the interview or has the say in how an interview will be conducted?

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Just now, Apple Bee said:

It also makes me wonder, is it the NVC that can dictate what type of questions are asked at the interview or has the say in how an interview will be conducted?

NVC really isn't involved in K-1s.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

NVC really isn't involved in K-1s.

Yeah I think I meant USCIS. I didn't realize the remarks were left by them and not NVC

Marriage :

2018-04-19

I-130 Sent :

2018-05-18

I-130 NOA1 :

2018-05-22

I-130 Approved :

2018-11-28

NVC Received :

2019-01-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay AOS Bill :

2019-02-20

Send AOS Package :

2019-03-05

Receive IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Pay IV Bill :

2019-02-20

Send IV Package :

2019-03-05

Case Completed:                      

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Interview :

2019-03-15

2019-04-11

2019-05-21

APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I had my interview on Tuesday. As i was being interview, she was flipping through our I129, on of the pages there was a red inked box with stars and something written beside it- i couldn't see what it said. But the interview was pretty straight forward, the basics of how we met, what he does, she asked about his family and what each of them did for a living, did we having wedding plans, she looked through the photos we had submitted and asked about some of them, what Tennessee was like, about vacations we'd been on. I wasn't asked for any further evidence (i had brought a lot with me). She was super nice, I was in and out with half an hour. I had drove myself insane before it about what they would ask, it was a lot easier than I expected. Just be as prepared as you possibly can, as one of my friends told me the morning of my interview-you're not lying about anything, so don't worry 

Edited by Loo1

16 hours ago, jkstark said:

I have to wonder if some of those questions that were asked in London were simply questions to verify that the interview had not been rehearsed with extreme details - ie. far more than would be in a normal relationship, but rather as the basis of a scam of sorts.  It almost sounds like the kind of information that somebody in "deep cover" would memorize...

Great, now you have me paranoid that my husband is a deep cover spy.  LOL  J/K

Having now had some time between what happened during that interview and now, I can't believe we're already approaching the 2 year mark from that it seems like yesterday, I think part of the questioning was because of the age difference, part of the questioning was because my husband is from an Eastern European country that is not currently on the Visa Waiver Program, and part of it was because my husband can sometimes come across as confrontational/arrogant when speaking even though that's not how he is at all (more of a language/accent issue).  I can see both sides of the interview for sure, and if I was a CO I would probably press a little harder on our case, so I've learned to understand the government's perspective as well.  Our AOS interview went WAY more smoothly, just the one question about our age difference and every other question was pretty standard, so it has me less nervous about ROC and a potential interview for that, just because I feel like the more evidence we provide USCIS and the more time they spend talking with us, they can see the validity of our relationship.

I wanted to share our experience with the OP as an idea of where the questions can go and the importance of trying to remain calm and answering the questions to the best of your ability.  Again, I think our interview ended up being a rare .05% oddity that happens in the system, and maybe the CO was just having a day/in a strange mood/wanted to test the waters, and the OP and his fiance will have a standard interview.  Just remember to breathe, remain calm, and talk about your relationship and everything will go fine.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, RaptureSongbird said:

I wanted to share our experience with the OP as an idea of where the questions can go and the importance of trying to remain calm and answering the questions to the best of your ability.  Again, I think our interview ended up being a rare .05% oddity that happens in the system, and maybe the CO was just having a day/in a strange mood/wanted to test the waters, and the OP and his fiance will have a standard interview.  Just remember to breathe, remain calm, and talk about your relationship and everything will go fine.

Thank you so much for sharing this experience.  My husband and I also have a large age gap, we have talked a bit about questions he might be asked, and I think what happened in your case is that they were asking outlandish detailed questions to see if the beneficiary would try to answer everything, even impossible questions, to see if they were lying.  The IO was most likely trying to see if your husband would slip up and try to give a made-up answer to every question asked, as someone in a fraudulent relationship might try to do thinking a fake answer is better than saying "I don't know."  Your husband was right to tell the truth and say he didn't know because it is a true relationship.  This is great advice and something I will pass on to my husband as he prepares for his interview in a few months.  Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm 21 years older than my husband and I attended the interview with my husband. We were both interviewed and it was pretty detailed. Needless to say my husband was approved.

You have nothing to worry about as long as he is 100% open and honest. You cannot be denied based on age alone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband got an email copy of the I-129 with his email packet prior to the interview also, so I don't think that in itself is strange. However, it is a first to hear of commentary noted on it when received... wonder if that is supposed to be on the copy sent to the applicant or not.

Age gaps can be a red flag sometimes, but most definitely not necessarily an automatic denial trigger. If your relationship is legitimate and bona fide, I would try not to stress too much. Do absolutely prepare - both of you keep each other in the loop of your thoughts and mental preparation for it. I think a worst case scenario would be a Stokes interview, but those are not necessarily indicative of a denial, either.

Good luck!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

CONGRATULATIONNNNSSSSSS>>>>> i am sooooo excited for you guys!!! 

I-129 F SENT 11/27/2018

NOA 1 12/03/2018

RFE      04/10/2019

RFE REPLY 04/25/2019

NOA 2 05/09/2019

NVC RECEIVED 06/05/2019

CASE # ASSIGNED NVC  06/10/2019

NVC LEFT 06/25/2019

EMBASSY RECEIVED 07/02/2019

K1 INTERVIEW APPROVAL  07/18/2019

USA ENTRY🛬 07/30/2019

MARRIED 🤵💖👰09/13/2019

AOS SENT 10/08/2019

AOS RECEIVED 10/09/2019

AOS NOA 1 10/25/2019

BIOMETRICS 11/20/2019

READY TO INTERVIEW: 12/23/2020

Interview scheduled update 02/20/2020
Interview Scheduled for 04/08/2020
03/31/2020 interview has been cancelled due to COVID19
04/01/20202 case ready to be scheduled for an interview
08/24/2020 Interview has been scheduled
Interview 9/14/2020
I 485 approved 9/14/2020
GC mailed 9/17/2020
GC received 9/21/2020

ROC mailed 09/01/2022

ROC received 09/02/2022

NOA RECEIVED 09/16/2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.