didi&bebe

Strong ties to home country - meaning ...

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
23 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

So you have 2 out of 3 in your own family & 2 friends approved but it’s all a scam? Right. 

If not a scam it’s a lottery. How did they make a difference between my brother and my friend who are the same age traveling with family for the same reason?

AOS from J1

15 Nov '12 - AOS Mailed in!
19 Nov '12 - Pack Received
21 Nov '12 - Case Numbers Assigned (NOA1)
28 Nov '12 - NOA1 received in post
05 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment received (scheduled for Dec 24)
07 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment #2 received (rescheduled for Dec 26)
26 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment NOLA
02 Jan '13 - I-485 case status changed to "Testing and interview" - no interview date assigned
17 Jan '13 - EAD/AP card in production
23 Jan '13 - EAD card in production ( second update )
28 Jan '13 - EAD card received
04 Feb '13 - Interview scheduled for March 7
07 Mar '13 - APPROVED
16 Mar '13 - Green card in the mail ( 4 months )

ROC

26 Dec '14 - ROC Mailed in!
29 Dec '14 - Pack Received
30 Dec '14 - NOA1 - 1 year extension
19 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment received (scheduled for March 5th) - I had to call twice to ask what is going on with it. My local office was too busy!
20 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment #2 received (scheduled for March 9th) - Different case number plus the one from the first letter... Very confusing!
05 Mar '15 - Biometrics appointment in NOLA. They asked me for the second letter with both case numbers. Very complicated explanation!

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, didi&bebe said:

If not a scam it’s a lottery. How did they make a difference between my brother and my friend who are the same age traveling with family for the same reason?

The application

The interview maybe

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
16 minutes ago, didi&bebe said:

Not chance based.........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, missileman said:

Is that supposed to be a joke?

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

Not at all

I have seen my wife relatives and friend with strong ties and get denied, and I have seen others with identical ties and get approved.

No Rhyme or reason, Had a US Citizen do a letter saying he would take care of all expenses and boom approved for a herd of people from Philippines.  Figure that one out

It is 50/50 honestly. I've had a friend before in the Philippines go for a tourist visa (knowing he would be denied basically as he had never traveled before, and didn't really have any strong ties, but he tried)... he explained that there was 10 people in line. #1, denied... #2 approved.. # 3 denied, #4 approved, #5 denied.... seeing the pattern? He was #9. lol 

So while I like to think this is not the case and the embassy doesn't just get bored and have "game days"... it is interesting.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

4 hours ago, didi&bebe said:

THE OFFICER DID NOT EVEN LOOK AT HIS PAPERWORK!!!

Can't tell you how many times we have heard this on VJ. This is why the assumption is that the decision is 99% made prior to the interview.

4 hours ago, didi&bebe said:

Visa was initially denied and approved after the senator did what was in his power. I am very confused! 

Can't help but to be skeptical about this. Not saying it didn't happen, but there has to be more to the story. 

One thing I have notice is that the people who get the most upset over visitor visa denials are the ones who have compared visa approvals to others they have heard of or witnessed. They speak about their denials then immediate reference a friend, family member, or someone else that got approved. 

There is a lot of talk about how the US government denies visas with no rhyme nor reason. USA issued nearly 6 million new B1/B2 visas last year and is averaging around 6mil per year

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2018AnnualReport/FY18AnnualReport - TableXVIB.pdf

Since 2014, the US gave out a total of 32 million new visitor visas. That is almost 10% of our country's population in visas in just 4 years.

I akin it to a hot and popular night club in a big city. Everybody wants to get in, but obviously for safety and security reasons the club can't let everyone in all at once. So there will be a few that has to wait outside in line. I see why people get upset at visitor visa denials. They kinda take it personal. But I honestly think that there are just too many people applying and there may be some system or algorithm that keeps the visa issuances at controllable levels. But that is just my theory. (aluminum foil hat off now).

@didi&bebe

If you take anything away from this thread the following quote should  give you the most thought...

So you have 2 out of 3 in your own family & 2 friends approved but it’s all a scam?

If you think about it, your family has been successful in getting visas. This is a higher percentage of approvals  for family than most people here on this forum. A person should never expect to get a visa because a visa to the US is a privilege, not a right and it is never guaranteed.

Hopefully, he can apply again and be granted a visa. Good luck with your wedding.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 hours ago, didi&bebe said:

If that’s the case, no use gettIng advice here, just enter the lottery again. I’m done with this thread.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, didi&bebe said:

How did they make a difference between my brother and my friend who are the same age traveling with family for the same reason?

Different travel history? Different work history?  Different TIES to home country?     Lots of variables to consider.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

Here's the difference from the other family and friends who were approved--he only recently arrived in Germany from Bulgaria, it shows he is mobile, willing to leave the country of his birth and move to another country, hence weak ties and more likely to have immigrant intent.  The others applied from their country of origin where they were able to satisfy the CO with stronger ties.

I doubt that was the reason: some of my family members live and work in Ireland , they have applied for B2 in Dublin and all have got their visas - I have applied from Oslo - the same case, no problems . 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, RedroseMT said:

I doubt that was the reason: some of my family members live and work in Ireland , they have applied for B2 in Dublin and all have got their visas - I have applied from Oslo - the same case, no problems . 

It all comes down to the specific circumstances and the strength of ties to the home country.  Every visa applicant is unique.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
22 minutes ago, missileman said:

Different travel history? Different work history?  Different TIES to home country?     Lots of variables to consider.

Exactly. Even a small difference in age might put you in a different bracket for risk. I used to work as a visa analyst in my home country and people very often forget that every question they answer in their application gets taken into account. There are not two identical applications, so obviously one should not expect the same outcome no matter how many people in their family apply.

And also, you might take a 3 pound folder loaded with evidence to your interview, but if the IO has already made a decision to deny based on DS160, then it will be very rare for them to even ask to see those documents. As many have pointed out, there is no way they can check their authenticity during the interview, for starters.

Edited by Nat&Amy

Applying after a recent move to Germany is what I’d suspect was not in his favor. All your other family members applied in home country. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.