didi&bebe

Strong ties to home country - meaning ...

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I just talked to my brother in Germany and his US visitors visa was denied. The reason he applied is to attend my wedding in May (I am a US citizen). He is a citizen of Bulgaria but resides in Germany permanently. He moved there recently for a job and had all the documents listed to present to the officer:

* address registration in Germany

* employment contract with the same company my dad works for

* bank account with enough money to travel

* plane ticket on the same reservation as the rest of my family 

* wedding invitation

THE OFFICER DID NOT EVEN LOOK AT HIS PAPERWORK!!! None of it! Only the passport...

He is not married neither has kids which is not crazy for his late 20s. I am just not sure what does “strong ties to the home country” mean? Being old, married and own property? How do they determine the strength of his ties by looking at his passport only? Are there any steps that I can take further? I have requested an appointment with our senator in the state I live in in hopes that he might be able to help. I have a friend who met with the senator in his state and his mother in law was able to get a visa somehow. She was in her late 50s, married and had another child and grandchildren back in Bulgaria. Owned her apartment with her husband. She was trying to come and help with childcare for her new granddaughter in the US. Visa was initially denied and approved after the senator did what was in his power. I am very confused! 

AOS from J1

15 Nov '12 - AOS Mailed in!
19 Nov '12 - Pack Received
21 Nov '12 - Case Numbers Assigned (NOA1)
28 Nov '12 - NOA1 received in post
05 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment received (scheduled for Dec 24)
07 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment #2 received (rescheduled for Dec 26)
26 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment NOLA
02 Jan '13 - I-485 case status changed to "Testing and interview" - no interview date assigned
17 Jan '13 - EAD/AP card in production
23 Jan '13 - EAD card in production ( second update )
28 Jan '13 - EAD card received
04 Feb '13 - Interview scheduled for March 7
07 Mar '13 - APPROVED
16 Mar '13 - Green card in the mail ( 4 months )

ROC

26 Dec '14 - ROC Mailed in!
29 Dec '14 - Pack Received
30 Dec '14 - NOA1 - 1 year extension
19 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment received (scheduled for March 5th) - I had to call twice to ask what is going on with it. My local office was too busy!
20 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment #2 received (scheduled for March 9th) - Different case number plus the one from the first letter... Very confusing!
05 Mar '15 - Biometrics appointment in NOLA. They asked me for the second letter with both case numbers. Very complicated explanation!

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

Don’t expect miracles from the senator. Look up “consular nonreviewability”. 

Yes, sorry for your brother but this has happened to many people. Law means presumption of immigrant intent. Weak ties is a problem and a recent move to a new country doesn’t help. 

By the way there is no “list of documents “, not sure what that means??

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chris Duffy said:

Strong ties is just a loophole to deny tourist visas.

Is that supposed to be a joke?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Don’t expect miracles from the senator. Look up “consular nonreviewability”. 

Yes, sorry for your brother but this has happened to many people. Law means presumption of immigrant intent. Weak ties is a problem and a recent move to a new country doesn’t help. 

By the way there is no “list of documents “, not sure what that means??

By “list” I mean the ones I have listed with * below. There is not an official list of documents you have to present, I know that. I just wonder what is the source of their information. My mom applied for her visa in Bulgaria and literally had a two question interview followed by immediate approval. My dad applied in Bulgaria after he moved to Germany (he traveled back just for the interview) and was working there for almost a year. They didn’t even talk to him and approved him on the spot... 

AOS from J1

02 Jan '13 - I-485 case status changed to "Testing and interview" - no interview date assigned
07 Mar '13 - APPROVED

ROC

19 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment received (scheduled for March 5th) - I had to call twice to ask what is going on with it. My local office was too busy!
20 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment #2 received (scheduled for March 9th) - Different case number plus the one from the first letter... Very confusing!
05 Mar '15 - Biometrics appointment in NOLA. They asked me for the second letter with both case numbers. Very complicated explanation!

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

Timeline
1 minute ago, didi&bebe said:

I just wonder what is the source of their information.

She completed an application, didn't she?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

She completed an application, didn't she?

They all did. But there’s not a lot of information in the DS-160 form. Nothing about kids, work, property and financial situation. In my opinion that’s “strong ties” 

AOS from J1

07 Mar '13 - APPROVED

ROC

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

4 minutes ago, missileman said:

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Not at all

I have seen my wife relatives and friend with strong ties and get denied, and I have seen others with identical ties and get approved.

No Rhyme or reason, Had a US Citizen do a letter saying he would take care of all expenses and boom approved for a herd of people from Philippines.  Figure that one out

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

According to some people it’s all a scam to collect visa fees 🙄

I am starting to believe that this is true!

AOS from J1

07 Mar '13 - APPROVED

ROC

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

Timeline
1 minute ago, Chris Duffy said:

Not at all

I have seen my wife relatives and friend with strong ties and get denied, and I have seen others with identical ties and get approved.

No Rhyme or reason, Had a US Citizen do a letter saying he would take care of all expenses and boom approved for a herd of people from Philippines.  Figure that one out

One of my friends from Bulgaria, the same age as my brother, got a visa last year with no problem. She is not married, no property or kids... her family had one reservation ticket to come visit her brother who is a US citizen. Exactly the same situation.

AOS from J1

07 Mar '13 - APPROVED

ROC

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

Timeline
Just now, didi&bebe said:

One of my friends from Bulgaria, the same age as my brother, got a visa last year with no problem. She is not married, no property or kids... her family had one reservation ticket to come visit her brother who is a US citizen. Exactly the same situation.

From where did these people with approved visas apply?   Bulgaria or Germany?

Timeline
16 minutes ago, missileman said:

From where did these people with approved visas apply?   Bulgaria or Germany?

My friend applied and was approved in Bulgaria where she lives and works. My other friend lives and works in Austria where she applied and got approved last week. My brother lives and works in Germany. He applied today and got denied. All Bulgarian ln citizens. 

Edited by didi&bebe

AOS from J1

07 Mar '13 - APPROVED

ROC

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
51 minutes ago, didi&bebe said:

* address registration in Germany

* employment contract with the same company my dad works for

* bank account with enough money to travel

* plane ticket on the same reservation as the rest of my family 

* wedding invitation

Presumably he had an address, job and bank account in Bulgaria and left to go to Germany.

Never buy a ticket without permission to travel, Embassy says not to.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.