Daisy.Chain

Chick-Fil-A Airport Opening Blocked

115 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

What practices of the business is at issue here?  It seems that the owner keeps their personal religious beliefs out of the business practice and accept money from anyone willing to pay the price.  

We've gone over that already. They said the actions of the business (specifically the owner) are anti-LGBT.  I'm am not arguing that assessment is correct. However CFA themselves have taken several steps to overcome this "perception" of them so they are at the very least aware of it. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

6 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

If they're not open Sunday's that's a good enough reason not to be at an airport. The council should have left it at that

Perhaps they could have said that -although Chick-Fil-A does fine at other airports- but the fact that they clearly cite "anti-gay" tendencies for their reasons (for donating to groups like FCA????) is definitely religious discrimination, and they are making a point of it by not citing some other reason. 

Edited by Daisy.Chain

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

There is no "what if". City councils do this all the time, in every state and have done it for years. Yes it is absurd, but the recourse if you don't like it is to stop voting for those people. The little hole town I lived in years ago that didn't let Walmart or McDonalds in, they are still a little hole in the middle of nowhere. And most likely that's how they like it. All the other little towns around them have grown and expanded and developed. Most of the people I knew just moved on. You can't change the mentality. I went somewhere else. I haven't been back there since my parents moved sometime ago.

I bet they didn't keep Walmart and McDonalds out for being anti-gay. I don't debate that city councils have the ability to make choices about their city, but only that their choices should not be discriminatory. Chick-Fil-A serves ALL people, and shouldn't be discriminated for the owner's personal beliefs.

2 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Perhaps they could have said that -although Chick-Fil-A does fine at other airports- but the fact that they clearly cite "anti-gay" tendencies for their reasons (for donating to groups like FCA????) is definitely religious discrimination, and they are making a point of it by not citing some other reason. 

I know of a couple of people who are not religious and are also anti-GLBT. As far as I can see, the council made no statement about the religious affiliation of CFA or the owner. It will be up to CFA to show the link in court.

6 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

I bet they didn't keep Walmart and McDonalds out for being anti-gay. I don't debate that city councils have the ability to make choices about their city, but only that their choices should not be discriminatory. Chick-Fil-A serves ALL people, and shouldn't be discriminated for the owner's personal beliefs.

No they didn't. I don't know that they ever gave a reason, although probably the same reason other places have tried to keep Walmart out. My point too was they don't actually have to give a reason and they probably shouldn't have. They did and there may be consequences if a court finds in favor of CFA. I'm sure we will find out in time.

Edited by Steeleballz

2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

, the council made no statement about the religious affiliation of CFA

They mentioned Fellowship of the Christian Athletes as the only charitable donation they named in the article.

5 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I know of a couple of people who are not religious and are also anti-GLBT. As far as I can see, the council made no statement about the religious affiliation of CFA or the owner. It will be up to CFA to show the link in court.

How can a person be anti gay. Thats as absurd as being offended by red heads or guys named Todd 

3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

No they didn't. I don't know that they ever gave a reason, although probably the same reason other places have tried to keep Walmart out. My point too was they don't actually have to give a reason and they probably shouldn't have. They did and there may be consequences if a court finds in favor of CFA. I'm sure we will find out in time.

Sounds good.

3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

People keep wal mart out because it absolutley is cancer to small town local biz 

1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

How can a person be anti gay. Thats as absurd as being offended by red heads or guys named Todd 

One nice thing about the US is that everyone is allowed to believe whatever they want, including thinking that guys name Todd offend. Usually telling people it's "absurd" to believe something doesn't change their minds.

2 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

They mentioned Fellowship of the Christian Athletes as the only charitable donation they named in the article.

The WinShape foundation founded by CFA's owner has donated millions to several organizations over the years which oppose gay marriage. Chick-Fil-A's have taken steps to move away from funding that foundation since 2012. 

5 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

People keep wal mart out because it absolutley is cancer to small town local biz 

It's good for consumers, but not what you want to hear if you own a business where Walmart is coming. Such is life though. Sometimes local business is well represented on the town council, and that plays a part in the decisions not to let certain business in. 

46 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Yet there are people out there who are. 

Named Todd?

43 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

It's good for consumers, but not what you want to hear if you own a business where Walmart is coming. Such is life though. Sometimes local business is well represented on the town council, and that plays a part in the decisions not to let certain business in. 

I would rather pay a 105 bucks for my groceries than endure walmart and save 5 bucks. Although I will say my local Kroger is getting just about as bad  (pre Pack one size fits all meats and no registers open. Several times a register will be 6 deep with none other open but self and express. They always come up to me and say.. Sire I will take you at self check out and they offer to help. I told him if I wanted to do self check I would have gotten in that line to start with. Applause erupts from the other grouchy old people in line