Daisy.Chain

Chick-Fil-A Airport Opening Blocked

115 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

Shouldn't those values be clearly defined and communicated.  If that is the case, then the city council has no other option but to kick them out of all of SA.  Again, my argument is that this is just an example of government overreach in making decision as to how people should think and act.  They need to visit every business within the city limits and do a background check on the owners to make sure they are living up to SA core values.  Overall, it is a joke, but what else do we expect from a leftist controlled city.

Maybe, but years of city council decisions across the country say they have full autonomy in deciding what business can open or not. It is apparent here since they actually listed the "core value" as Chick-Fil-A being anti LGBT as evidenced by their documented and ongoing actions. The whole reason religion is being brought up here, IMO, is that Chick-Fil-A knows they would have a difficult time disputing the actual reason given based on their own actions. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Steeleballz said:

Maybe, but years of city council decisions across the country say they have full autonomy in deciding what business can open or not. It is apparent here since they actually listed the "core value" as Chick-Fil-A being anti LGBT as evidenced by their documented and ongoing actions. The whole reason religion is being brought up here, IMO, is that Chick-Fil-A knows they would have a difficult time disputing the actual reason given based on their own actions. 

Do they not have Mosques in SA?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

You are asking the wrong person. Never been to SA. I went with a friend to a mosque once because Mohammed Ali was giving a speech. Have to say the guy had the biggest hands I've ever seen. I wouldn't have wanted to get hit by that guy.

Well Google suggests they do, wonder how that happened.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Whether I agree or not, that is currently how it works in general unless there are exceptions in state or local law. To that end, they should merely state that the business does not align with the values of their town and constituents. Part of the reason they are elected at the municipal level is to make decisions like this. If they are not doing what they were elected to do, they should get voted out.

If they do give a reason, and that reason is found to violate a protected right, they have left themselves open to whatever legal repercussions may arise. The religion of a business owner makes no difference unless the religion itself is part of the reason for the business being banned.

So if we accept your premise then why is it being ignored when there are other more blatant transgressors.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Now, now...

4 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Are you just posting for the hell of it

Now, now...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I think you are missing one big thing here.  Chic-Fil-A is not anti-LGBT, and in fact they serve everyone as was stated in the OP.  The city council is persecuting the owner's personal religious beliefs.  Now if the Chic-Fil-A restaurants failed to serve someone from the LGBT community they may have a point, but I haven't heard that being the case.  This is why I am saying the SA council now needs to delve into the background of every business owner and take action similar.  This may be tough with a public company as I am sure there may be some shareholders that share similar personal beliefs as the Chic-Fil-A owner/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

I think you are missing one big thing here.  Chic-Fil-A is not anti-LGBT, and in fact they serve everyone as was stated in the OP.  The city council is persecuting the owner's personal religious beliefs.  Now if the Chic-Fil-A restaurants failed to serve someone from the LGBT community they may have a point, but I haven't heard that being the case.  This is why I am saying the SA council now needs to delve into the background of every business owner and take action similar.  This may be tough with a public company as I am sure there may be some shareholders that share similar personal beliefs as the Chic-Fil-A owner/

I'm not missing that at all. They made their business decisions as we all do. They certainly have the reputation. They will get to argue in court, I guess.

3 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Now, now...

The number of mosques in SA has nothing to do with the topic. 

Timeline

Certainly would be interesting, say there is a court case and CFA lose, well I can see actions being taken for equal treatment.

Obviously I chose the most obvious anti LGBQTI example, I doubt if CFA has a stoning requirement in its Employee manual.

Just wonder how many other entities could pass this test.

Edited by Boiler

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Certainly would be interesting, say there is a court case and CFA lose, well I can see actions being taken for equal treatment.

Obviously I chose the most obvious anti LGBQTI example, I doubt of CFA has a stoning requirement in its Employee manual.

Just wonder how many other entities could pass this test.

Businesses and churches are 2 different entities. I think you have gone off track here. However even though your post is a bit tangential, it seems to indicate they are not banning based on religion, but on practices of the business. If this goes to court, the SA city council should probably consider paying you to testify.

Timeline
Just now, Steeleballz said:

Businesses and churches are 2 different entities. I think you have gone off track here. However even though your post is a bit tangential, it seems to indicate they are not banning based on religion, but on practices of the business. If this goes to court, the SA city council should probably consider paying you to testify.

I did not mention churches but I am pretty sure they all have to go through the planning process and as the issue is the religious affiliation (not to my taste btw) of the owner hardly irrelevant.

As has been said how are CFA discriminating against LGBQTI, do they have a sign banning them? 

14 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

I used to live in a town where the town council voted not to allow Mcdonald's or Walmart to build locally. Local people didn't want them there and neither did local businesses. So really the town council was doing what they were elected to do. I can't judg the SA without knowing that. I'm curious how residents of San Antonio feel about this decision. Maybe the people don't want Chick-Fil-A's.

We have a Chick-Fil-A's nearby and I always like when they have people lined up around the block to show support. Nothing against their business but in theory the more people lined up to eat their "food", the more space should be available at a place where I would actually want to eat. I'd feel the same if the line up was at Taco Bell or one of the grease burger places.

Not allowing a legal normal business,  becuse some of the local citizens are against it is absurd.  What if my very powerful local owner got enough support together,  to keep the carmax, which was just built one block down , out.

What if i lived in a very conservative town and we got Starbucks banned becuse of their progressive actions. How about Ben an Jerrys? 

There are federal laws that prevent discrimination and chick fila does not violate them

57 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Not allowing a legal normal business,  becuse some of the local citizens are against it is absurd.  What if my very powerful local owner got enough support together,  to keep the carmax, which was just built one block down , out.

What if i lived in a very conservative town and we got Starbucks banned becuse of their progressive actions. How about Ben an Jerrys? 

There are federal laws that prevent discrimination and chick fila does not violate them

There is no "what if". City councils do this all the time, in every state and have done it for years. Yes it is absurd, but the recourse if you don't like it is to stop voting for those people. The little hole town I lived in years ago that didn't let Walmart or McDonalds in, they are still a little hole in the middle of nowhere. And most likely that's how they like it. All the other little towns around them have grown and expanded and developed. Most of the people I knew just moved on. You can't change the mentality. I went somewhere else. I haven't been back there since my parents moved sometime ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

What practices of the business is at issue here?  It seems that the owner keeps their personal religious beliefs out of the business practice and accept money from anyone willing to pay the price.  

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!