janinemd

from B-2 to adjust status

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi guys! 

so my bf for 2 years is a us citizen and is working here in the US. I met him in my home country when he was based there work work, and just recently moved back to the US. we were doing long distance for about 8 months when last november, I came here for what was supposed to be a quick holiday. booked my ticket last june (i was already a tourist visa holder and my visa is valid for 10 years) and from the US we spent thanksgiving together in iceland, (where he proposed:)) and went back. i honestly didnt think this was going to happen for another 2 years or so. i was scheduled to leave 2 days after arriving back from iceland but he asked me to wait til after the holidays so i can meet his parents and family for the first time. i was supposed to come home on mid january but we ended up getting married last feb. he didnt want me to go home anymore and instead, stay with him. 

My question is, is the adjustment of status process and forms going to be the same as k-1 and k-3 visa holders? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

From B2 to AOS is not a proper way, and most members will say it's fraud. You go back home, your USC spouse file I-130 and get an interview oversea.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
22 minutes ago, janinemd said:

hi guys! 

so my bf for 2 years is a us citizen and is working here in the US. I met him in my home country when he was based there work work, and just recently moved back to the US. we were doing long distance for about 8 months when last november, I came here for what was supposed to be a quick holiday. booked my ticket last june (i was already a tourist visa holder and my visa is valid for 10 years) and from the US we spent thanksgiving together in iceland, (where he proposed:)) and went back. i honestly didnt think this was going to happen for another 2 years or so. i was scheduled to leave 2 days after arriving back from iceland but he asked me to wait til after the holidays so i can meet his parents and family for the first time. i was supposed to come home on mid january but we ended up getting married last feb. he didnt want me to go home anymore and instead, stay with him. 

My question is, is the adjustment of status process and forms going to be the same as k-1 and k-3 visa holders? 

As you entered legally into the US... your intent was assessed at POE... and circumstances then changed ... you are fine to AOS. The process is the same as for K1.... but remember that you cannot work until you get your employment authorisation and if you leave the US for any reason before getting your Advanced Parole, you will be deemed as abandoning your AOS application and will have to start all over with a CR1 

EAD and AP take 5-7 months. CE1 takes 12-15 months 

Timeline

yeah, i actually quit my job already because of this. but we are 30-something and don't want to wait longer to have kids. thanks so much for letting me know about this! do you think it's ok for me to include my original travel itinerary to leave the US, before we got married? or is it something i can hold on to in case they ask me during my interview?

im so drained and confused by all this but hey, im with the love of my life and that's all that matters. 

26 minutes ago, H&T said:

From B2 to AOS is not a proper way, and most members will say it's fraud. You go back home, your USC spouse file I-130 and get an interview oversea.

Not fraud if they didn't have preconceived intent to AOShttps://citizenpath.com/faq/preconceived-intent-adjust-status/

19 hours ago, H&T said:

Yeah, don't listen to this advice at all, OP lol. 

19 hours ago, H&T said:

Adjusting within USA is completely legal and yelling it is otherwise doesnt make it so. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, AtlToBlr said:

Yeah, don't listen to this advice at all, OP lol. 

Adjusting within USA is completely legal and yelling it is otherwise doesnt make it so. 

thank you so so much! really appreciate it

Timeline
Just now, p-ana said:

The process should be similar to a k1 adjusting but you also need to file i130 and i130a 

thank you! the only thing i am curious about is the medical exam. do i have to take it before filing, and include the results in my package or wait for them to tell me when to do it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
58 minutes ago, janinemd said:

thank you! the only thing i am curious about is the medical exam. do i have to take it before filing, and include the results in my package or wait for them to tell me when to do it?

You have a lot of research to do.  Follow the guides here on VJ, look under Adjustment of Status for spouses of US citizens, and read and re-read everything a few times.  It's a long journey and complicated, lots of fees, waiting, documents, etc. but you can do it yourself if you know all about it.  First step is filing a lot of documents, the medical comes much later in the process.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
6 hours ago, janinemd said:

wait for them to tell you to do it! They will probably ask you to do it and bring the medical exam form to the interview. Welcome to the journey :)

AOS thru marriage from F-1 (student) visa in Tampa, FL - 83 DAYS (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

2019-03-18 - AOS package sent; concurrent filing (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) (FedEx; choose regular rate! Still arrives super fast and is WAY cheaper!)

2019-03-21 - AOS package received (Day 1)

2019-03-30 - All NOA1s arrived (dated March 25) (Day 10)

2019-04-05 - Biometrics notice arrived (dated March 29) (Day 16)

2019-04-16 - Biometrics appointment (Day 27)

2019-04-17 - Online status updated to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" (Day 28)

2019-04-23 - Online status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled" (Day 34)

2019-05-30 - AOS Interview (Day 71) → https://tinyurl.com/yxug6acr

2019-06-04 - Online status updated to "Case Was Approved"; EAD and AP status updated to "Case Closed" (Day 76)

2019-06-11 - GC in hand (Day 83) ~ done for now!

ROC during COVID-19 pandemic, Nebraska Service Center <_< - 514 DAYS

Spoiler

2021-03-10 - ROC package sent

2021-03-15 - ROC package received (Day 1)

2021-04-09 - NOA1 arrived (dated April 06) (Day 26)

2021-04-30 - Online status updated to "Fingerprints Were Taken" (used AOS fingerprints); no biometrics fee refund (Day 47)

2021-11-01 - 24-month extension letter received (Day 232)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 512) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Approval notice in the mail; no 10-year green card for me since N-400 also approved (Day 514)

N-400 during COVID-19 pandemic in Philly, PA - 169 DAYS (No RFE)

Spoiler

2022-03-11 - Online submission

2022-03-11 - NOA1 and biometrics reuse notice uploaded to myUSCIS account (Day 1)

2022-06-30 - Interview scheduled (Day 112)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 151) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Oath ceremony scheduled (Day 153)

2022-08-26 - Oath ceremony (Day 169) ~ DONE FOREVER!

BE  K I N D → https://tinyurl.com/tev3sgl  

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
19 hours ago, janinemd said:

What you are doing is not illegal. It is unethical and they know you came here with your B2 to get married. They a lot of controversy about it here because K1 people go through hell to come here and you kind of skipped the line so you can imagine. However, you need to prepare things have changed during this administration and they might make you go through a lot of questions to prove all this was legitimate.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
13 hours ago, HSsweethearts4E said:

wait for them to tell you to do it! They will probably ask you to do it and bring the medical exam form to the interview. Welcome to the journey :)

I was looking at your timeline and it is interesting. Did you have a boyfriend that lived in the US before you moved here? In that case if you haven't disclosed that during the interview that might considered fraud. You know F-1 is a nonmmigrant visa which mean that you have to prove that you had intention to go back at the time of application. Read the ombudsman report they deny a lot of visas on the fact that they are examining the legitimacy of their visas at the initial entry. I doubt they would have granted you an F-1 if they knew your long time boyfriend lived in the US. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
14 minutes ago, LisaLisa said:

I was looking at your timeline and it is interesting. Did you have a boyfriend that lived in the US before you moved here? In that case if you haven't disclosed that during the interview that might considered fraud. You know F-1 is a nonmmigrant visa which mean that you have to prove that you had intention to go back at the time of application. Read the ombudsman report they deny a lot of visas on the fact that they are examining the legitimacy of their visas at the initial entry. I doubt they would have granted you an F-1 if they knew your long time boyfriend lived in the US. 

Hi! No, we both are originally from my home country. He moved here cause he had a GC and I've been on an F1 because I am going to college :) I've actually been using my visa for what it is meant. I've been going home and coming back during breaks like any student. We just recently decided to get married and then AOS :) I've had my F1 since 2014, I was underage back then, not exactly planning on immigrating, just focused on getting a degree.... in any case of course we will disclose all of this during our interview.

Edited by HSsweethearts4E

AOS thru marriage from F-1 (student) visa in Tampa, FL - 83 DAYS (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

2019-03-18 - AOS package sent; concurrent filing (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) (FedEx; choose regular rate! Still arrives super fast and is WAY cheaper!)

2019-03-21 - AOS package received (Day 1)

2019-03-30 - All NOA1s arrived (dated March 25) (Day 10)

2019-04-05 - Biometrics notice arrived (dated March 29) (Day 16)

2019-04-16 - Biometrics appointment (Day 27)

2019-04-17 - Online status updated to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" (Day 28)

2019-04-23 - Online status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled" (Day 34)

2019-05-30 - AOS Interview (Day 71) → https://tinyurl.com/yxug6acr

2019-06-04 - Online status updated to "Case Was Approved"; EAD and AP status updated to "Case Closed" (Day 76)

2019-06-11 - GC in hand (Day 83) ~ done for now!

ROC during COVID-19 pandemic, Nebraska Service Center <_< - 514 DAYS

Spoiler

2021-03-10 - ROC package sent

2021-03-15 - ROC package received (Day 1)

2021-04-09 - NOA1 arrived (dated April 06) (Day 26)

2021-04-30 - Online status updated to "Fingerprints Were Taken" (used AOS fingerprints); no biometrics fee refund (Day 47)

2021-11-01 - 24-month extension letter received (Day 232)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 512) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Approval notice in the mail; no 10-year green card for me since N-400 also approved (Day 514)

N-400 during COVID-19 pandemic in Philly, PA - 169 DAYS (No RFE)

Spoiler

2022-03-11 - Online submission

2022-03-11 - NOA1 and biometrics reuse notice uploaded to myUSCIS account (Day 1)

2022-06-30 - Interview scheduled (Day 112)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 151) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Oath ceremony scheduled (Day 153)

2022-08-26 - Oath ceremony (Day 169) ~ DONE FOREVER!

BE  K I N D → https://tinyurl.com/tev3sgl  

56 minutes ago, LisaLisa said:

It is unethical and they know you came here with your B2 to get married.

It's neither unethical nor illegal to have preconceived intent at POE to marry with a B-1/B-2 (or VWP); some people even legally start the CR-1 process this way by leaving the US after marriage:

It always is illegal to have preconceived intent at POE to either AOS or overstay with a B-1/B-2 (or VWP).

Edited by accumbyte

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.