defeedme

applying for a B2/Tourist Visa - Will this letter help?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Going through said:
12 minutes ago, Going through said:

I think what Boiler might have been pointing out is that you're treating the B2 like it's an immigrant visa with all the "supporting documents" and financial info/marriage certificate/paystubs/permanent resident info/tax info etc. that you feel you need to send.

None of that is going to be fully taken into consideration----only things to consider for the CO is the application form and how she answers any questions during her interview.  Interview is normally 5-10 minutes or so, not much time to present all of that "evidence" probably.

Key words there for approval is "strong ties"...the CO believes the person would return/the person has every intention of returning after a short stay---no draining the system or burden on society since they have compelling reasons to return, and do return.

No one here is saying she can't try for a tourist visa---and she may end up getting approved---we're just saying that the CO is not obligated to take any of the documents you send into consideration when deciding the outcome, and not to put all of your hope/energy into it being approved based on what you send or state in your letter.  Best of luck to her.

I guess most of these CO's are just robots and someone with "strong ties" will get approved regardless of their intention to overstay & become a burden, but someone who legitimately wants to simply visit their child and grandchildren never becoming a burden - but has no ties , gets denied..  Our k1/k2 experience was horrible with them forcing an absolutely ridiculous dna test for a money grab and I fully expect this to be the same. We will see what happens.  Thanks again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Very simple process and nothing really to do with you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

43 minutes ago, defeedme said:

I didn't do any work, found the letter on the internet. So basically someone with 0 money but shows strong ties can get approved then come to the U.S. and drain our system to the max and become a burden on society?

Actually (and unfortunately).... yes.

The second biggest group of immigration violators besides illegal immigrants who snuck into the US, are in fact those who came on a non-immigrant visa, like a visitor visa, and never went back home. It doesn't get the media coverage like illegal aliens do so many people don't hear about the "overstayers".

And this is the very reason why it is difficult for people from certain countries like the Philippines, to obtain visitor visas. Because previous people from that country abused their visitor visas and messed it up for the rest.

isn't the officer going to want to at least know where the person will be staying?

Of course. And this is asked both on the application and routinely during the interview.

Hey you never know governments have been know to bite off their nose to spite their faces.

This is actually the law. All applicants for non-immigrant visa by law, are believed to have immigrant intent. It is a response to the overstayers I mentioned earlier. 

I'm still going to supply the letter so they know this person will not be a burden on our society, will include all our I.D. , passports and Marriage Cert - but toned down and without the affidavit of support

You are certainly welcome to, but like we mentioned, it is highly unlike they would even be looked at. Even in apple21's case, the in-laws were approved and none of the documents were needed. 

In fact, look at people who were denied visitor visas who say the officer didn't even look at the supporting documents they had...

Those are just a few from a quick search. And these are actual cases of people who attempted the same thing you did by providing evidence that they would support the visitor and that the visitor is not a risk. Legally, you can't force a person to return home if they are here. I actually read a case on another forum where a guy's MIL came to visit and decided not to return. He was asking for help because he was stuck with his MIL living in his house and didn't know what to do.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Somebody on this forum had a MIL who refused to leave.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

19 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Actually (and unfortunately).... yes.

The second biggest group of immigration violators besides illegal immigrants who snuck into the US, are in fact those who came on a non-immigrant visa, like a visitor visa, and never went back home. It doesn't get the media coverage like illegal aliens do so many people don't hear about the "overstayers".

And this is the very reason why it is difficult for people from certain countries like the Philippines, to obtain visitor visas. Because previous people from that country abused their visitor visas and messed it up for the rest.

Of course. And this is asked both on the application and routinely during the interview.

This is actually the law. All applicants for non-immigrant visa by law, are believed to have immigrant intent. It is a response to the overstayers I mentioned earlier. 

You are certainly welcome to, but like we mentioned, it is highly unlike they would even be looked at. Even in apple21's case, the in-laws were approved and none of the documents were needed. 

In fact, look at people who were denied visitor visas who say the officer didn't even look at the supporting documents they had...

Those are just a few from a quick search. And these are actual cases of people who attempted the same thing you did by providing evidence that they would support the visitor and that the visitor is not a risk. Legally, you can't force a person to return home if they are here. I actually read a case on another forum where a guy's MIL came to visit and decided not to return. He was asking for help because he was stuck with his MIL living in his house and didn't know what to do.

I had actual documentation showing a round trip ticket with a letter laying out everything for my then girlfriend now wife. It wasn't even looked at and she was denied her B2 visa.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi defeed.

You can click on my signature below. It has the link to my parents' experience. 

Their answers during the interview will have to match what they wrote on their DS160. I posted sample questions and the questions that my parents were asked plus their answers. Hope that will help you too. As I have said, don't bother with any docs. They are not needed, believe me. Good luck and keep us posted. 

Timeline
On 4/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, apple21 said:

Hi defeed.

You can click on my signature below. It has the link to my parents' experience. 

Their answers during the interview will have to match what they wrote on their DS160. I posted sample questions and the questions that my parents were asked plus their answers. Hope that will help you too. As I have said, don't bother with any docs. They are not needed, believe me. Good luck and keep us posted. 

hi thanks again for all the advice - finished most of the form online - quick question should she put "self" for "person/entity paying for your trip" ? 

considering all the responses here that they must qualify on "their own merits" I would think self is the only correct option lol

Timeline
4 minutes ago, defeedme said:

hi thanks again for all the advice - finished most of the form online - quick question should she put "self" for "person/entity paying for your trip" ? 

considering all the responses here that they must qualify on "their own merits" I would think self is the only correct option lol

I always think it would look better if you are self paying.

Edited by Boiler

Timeline
14 minutes ago, defeedme said:

If that’s the truth, then yes. 

I may have missed it but is MIL still working?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, apple21 said:

If that’s the truth, then yes. 

I may have missed it but is MIL still working?

the truth? lol I don't sugarcoat - if she has the cash in hand it's the truth correct? 

she has never worked in her life on the books. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, defeedme said:

the truth? lol I don't sugarcoat - if she has the cash in hand it's the truth correct? 

she has never worked in her life on the books. 

On the DS160 it asks for a job or previous job.  No consul officer is going to believe that she can afford a round trip ticket to America if she never worked. Even if she has the cash, where did it come from? You or your spouse, right? Then just put your name or your spouses. Simple..

Timeline
1 hour ago, apple21 said:

On the DS160 it asks for a job or previous job.  No consul officer is going to believe that she can afford a round trip ticket to America if she never worked. Even if she has the cash, where did it come from? You or your spouse, right? Then just put your name or your spouses. Simple..

what if it's deposited in her account - filipinos can't receive gifts? 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
7 minutes ago, defeedme said:

Filipinos can receive gifts. 

List whatever you want.  Her money.  Your money.  Pretty sure that the US Embassy has seen it all.  

2 hours ago, defeedme said:

Sure. And no US embassy has ever seen people fortuitously receive large cash gifts shortly before a visa interview before 🙄 😀

On 3/30/2019 at 10:46 PM, apple21 said:

My parents applied for tourist visas last year and got approved. No letter or other "proofs" were needed. Don't bother anymore. Check out my signature for their interview experience.  Good luck!

What qs were asked from your parents and what ties they had with their home country?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.