Usaph

Waiting for K1, what is timeline to bring her Filipino child

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We filed our I-129F for her K1 visa. She is from Canada and her child is in Philippines being raised by her parents. We originally planned on bringing her son over in 2 or 3 years after marriage. Is that unrealistic?

What are our options?

1. Bring her child with K2 visa within one year. When does the countdown start and end?

2. I-130, but is it approximately 4 years waiting time, on top of her 2 years to wait for permanent residence?

There is an alternate option #3. After she enters the US and you marry, you, not her, should file the I-130 petition to start the IR-2 process for your then step-son; https://www.visajourney.com/content/child:

A stepchild if the marriage creating the steprelationship took place before the child reached the age of 18

The IR-2 process takes about 14 months. With the IR-2 process your then step-son will have green card status upon entry to the US with the IR-2 visa.

Edited by accumbyte

You have a year to do follow to join on the K1. That should be option 1.

Option 2 is YOU file I-130 as USC for child if that year is up. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
17 minutes ago, accumbyte said:

There is an alternate option #3. After she enters the US and you marry, you, not her, should file the I-130 petition to start the IR-2 process for your then step-son; https://www.visajourney.com/content/child:

The IR-2 process takes about 14 months. With the IR-2 process your then step-son will have green card status upon entry to the US with the IR-2 visa.

Ahh good idea! That will give us time to adjust from all the planning for the fiancee visa. Is that a safe route to go (good approval rate)? Thank you!

Just now, NikLR said:

You have a year to do follow to join on the K1. That should be option 1.

Option 2 is YOU file I-130 as USC for child if that year is up. 

Ok makes sense, thank you.

I assume the father is not on the birth certificate? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

33 minutes ago, accumbyte said:

Does not matter for Philippines law. Single mothers have full custody. USEM is very aware of this.

I was thinking the child was Canadian. OP said his fiancée is “from Canada”. Being “from Canada” is more than just living there. I know the child is living in the Philippines but with a mother “from Canada”, the child would be Canadian, would he not?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

3 minutes ago, JFH said:

I know the child is living in the Philippines but with a mother “from Canada”, the child would be Canadian, would he not?

Good point. But in a globalized world the "from" phrase is watered down. E.g. some people still describe 21 Savage as a rapper "from Atlanta" but he's actually from Newham in east London. Thus, OP should clarify.

1 hour ago, Usaph said:

She is from Canada and her child is in Philippines being raised by her parents.

• Where was the child born?
  • Does the child have both Philippine and Canadian citizenships?

4 hours ago, JFH said:

I was thinking the child was Canadian. OP said his fiancée is “from Canada”. Being “from Canada” is more than just living there. I know the child is living in the Philippines but with a mother “from Canada”, the child would be Canadian, would he not?

The title says "her Filipino Child" and initial post stated "herchild is in Philippines being raised by her parents". 

I could derived that the child is Filipino and grandparents are Filipino. I assumed mother is Filipino too but working/living in Canada. Although, there is no information if mother was able to acquire Canadian Citizenship.

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

6 hours ago, accumbyte said:

So does OP inform NVC, at that stage, that the child's K-2 will be issued in the PH, not in Canada? What is the process?

NVC really doesnt do much for K1 so they're not the ones youd inform regardless.  She could inform the consulate but Im not particularly sure it matters where the K2 interviews? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
10 hours ago, accumbyte said:

Very safe option as long as the child is not close to the age of ~21.

That's a great option for us then.

10 hours ago, JFH said:

I assume the father is not on the birth certificate? 

That is correct.

Timeline
9 hours ago, accumbyte said:

Good point. But in a globalized world the "from" phrase is watered down. E.g. some people still describe 21 Savage as a rapper "from Atlanta" but he's actually from Newham in east London. Thus, OP should clarify.

• Where was the child born?
  • Does the child have both Philippine and Canadian citizenships?

Mother and child are both Filipino citizens. She does not have Canadian permanent residence yet and, since she'll be moving to US for marriage, will not be getting Canadian permanent residence.

Timeline
4 hours ago, SB5130 said:

The title says "her Filipino Child" and initial post stated "herchild is in Philippines being raised by her parents". 

I could derived that the child is Filipino and grandparents are Filipino. I assumed mother is Filipino too but working/living in Canada. Although, there is no information if mother was able to acquire Canadian Citizenship.

Your assumptions are correct :)

The child is young so no worries about the 21 year age.

Wow thanks everyone for the replies. Any more insight into our options are greatly appreciated!

Edited by Usaph

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.