Sunfl0wer

IR-1, CR-1 or K3 what do I want?

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Sunfl0wer said:

Why does it say 7-10 months on the webpage? Is that just for the I130 part then you need to add on the rest of the forms after?

That is just the I-130 approval portion....you still have the NVC portion, and the consular interview....another several months normally.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sunfl0wer said:

Thanks :) thankfully they will pay for all of it but that seems like 1/2 the battle only.

Yes, the gut-wrenching part is the waiting.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You can forget about the K3 because there was less than 18 given out last year.

Way less, actually. Below are the number of K-3 visas issued worldwide per fiscal year; https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2018AnnualReport/FY18AnnualReport - TableXVIB.pdf:

• 2018: 6 visas
  • 2017: 15 visas
  • 2016: 102 visas
  • 2015: 182 visas
  • 2014: 392 visas
  • 2013: 144 visas

Probably near 0 K-3 visas will be issued in fiscal year 2019.

Regardless, OP, it's actually a good thing he's already working and living in the USA because then you wont need a joint sponsor or have any domicile issues.  

Follow the IR1 process. It's pretty simple and you can do all the paperwork yourself.  I actually suggest you do that vs using a lawyer so you have more control over your journey.  Remember you can visit even during the process.  

Best wishes! I also had zero thoughts of ever living in the USA until my husband landed his dream job.  (Which occassionally is a nightmare though!) 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Regardless, OP, it's actually a good thing he's already working and living in the USA because then you wont need a joint sponsor or have any domicile issues.  

Follow the IR1 process. It's pretty simple and you can do all the paperwork yourself.  I actually suggest you do that vs using a lawyer so you have more control over your journey.  Remember you can visit even during the process.  

Best wishes! I also had zero thoughts of ever living in the USA until my husband landed his dream job.  (Which occassionally is a nightmare though!) 

Thank you for the positive! I need that right now! Hardest for my husband right now living alone after living in the circus for 10 years with us :) He is also in denial and can’t accept any of this will take as long as it will.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sunfl0wer said:

Thank you for the positive! I need that right now! Hardest for my husband right now living alone after living in the circus for 10 years with us :) He is also in denial and can’t accept any of this will take as long as it will.

Years ago it only took two or three months for an IR-1, I went through that twice a long time ago and the process was the same but so much faster.  So people who file today sometimes heard about the old timeline, then when they find out that the backlog is so bad now that it takes 14 months they are shocked.  It's understandable but still doesn't make any easier.  He can come and visit you as often as he can during the long wait to be together.  Good luck and hang in there--nothing you can do about it except file the documents right away!  

Timeline

I don’t want to start another question but my husbands thought is to move the children over since they have dual citizenship so they can start school in September in the US and I can move my stuff after my visa gets cleared, question is, if we go this route will I still be able to visit for the 6 months out of the year or will I get turned away? Anyone know this answer?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Sunfl0wer said:

I don’t want to start another question but my husbands thought is to move the children over since they have dual citizenship so they can start school in September in the US and I can move my stuff after my visa gets cleared, question is, if we go this route will I still be able to visit for the 6 months out of the year or will I get turned away? Anyone know this answer?

Check the pinned thread at the top of the forum: 

Basically, yes, in theory you can, but ultimately the decision is up to the CBP officer. 

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

6 months with USC husband and children? No they will deny you entry for that long of a trip. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

6 months with USC husband and children? No they will deny you entry for that long of a trip. 

How long would be reasonable? 3 months or more like 1 week?

6 hours ago, Sunfl0wer said:

How long would be reasonable? 3 months or more like 1 week?

The point is you have a reason to stay. Your husband and children will be living here while you wait in another country. This is the probably the biggest red flag for someone who wants to visit. It is all the reason why someone here visiting can change their mind and not go home. You have the ability to visit during this process and right off the bat you are talking about staying for the longest amount of time possible, 6 months.

If you don't want to be turned away you have to convince the border agent that you WILL be returning after your short visit.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

To be honest having the kids stay in school in Canada during your process and you working would be the best chance for visiting.  It would likely be cheapest for hubs to visit you. 

Edited by NikLR

Timeline
43 minutes ago, NikLR said:

To be honest having the kids stay in school in Canada during your process and you working would be the best chance for visiting.  It would likely be cheapest for hubs to visit you. 

I don’t even work and haven’t since the kids were born so I see why they wouldn’t let me in but my husband thinks since I’m allowed to come for 6 months then they can’t stop me. I really don’t want my kids to be living without me for a year while I sit here and wait! Are there any websites or something I can send him to get these ideas out of his head? I think he will have a problem moving our house and children across without me on the paperwork but he seems to think no issues with that, they can’t stop him.  I don’t want to be selling my house to find out his big plans don’t work!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Unlockable said:

The point is you have a reason to stay. Your husband and children will be living here while you wait in another country. This is the probably the biggest red flag for someone who wants to visit. It is all the reason why someone here visiting can change their mind and not go home. You have the ability to visit during this process and right off the bat you are talking about staying for the longest amount of time possible, 6 months.

If you don't want to be turned away you have to convince the border agent that you WILL be returning after your short visit.

The 6 months would hopefully bring us to the end of our wait for the immigration that was why, I wouldn’t have to change my mind because I already put in the 7-8month wait and another 6 months should take me to the end but I guess they don’t see it that way.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Sunfl0wer said:

I don’t even work and haven’t since the kids were born so I see why they wouldn’t let me in but my husband thinks since I’m allowed to come for 6 months then they can’t stop me. I really don’t want my kids to be living without me for a year while I sit here and wait! Are there any websites or something I can send him to get these ideas out of his head? I think he will have a problem moving our house and children across without me on the paperwork but he seems to think no issues with that, they can’t stop him.  I don’t want to be selling my house to find out his big plans don’t work!

I'm sorry, but your husband is 100% wrong.  No one but US citizens are guaranteed entry.  THEY CAN STOP YOU, and they have stopped others entering from Canada due to trying to live in the US using a tourist route. I think that your children being in schools in Canada is one of your stronger ties to your home country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.