SunflowerRoses

My interview was ONLY around 3-4 minutes? Good or Bad! + Requested a 221 (g)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Guys, 
I just attended my interview today in Sydney, Australia and as the title suggests, my actual interview bit was honestly absolutely insanely short!
I would understand maybe 5 minutes at the least, but I am pretty darn sure this was less than that, like around 3-4 minutes because people were looking at me. 
But the reason I am freaking out is that I'm not sure if that's a very good thing or not since I was issued a 221(G) for not providing an original birth certificate, which I will have to mail in once I reach home (honestly will this affect my approval?)

I'll give a brief run down of the questions I was asked and a summary of answers I provided:
-When and how I met my fiance (Online, 2008)
-How long have we been in a relationship to which he asked to clarify the year: (11 years since X of 2008)
-So you were long distance this whole time?: (Yes)
-How many times have we met each other in person: (4)
-What does my fiance do for a living: (redacted for privacy)

That was pretty much it before we were done. He didn't say anything further except that I will need to submit the additional original birth certificates and that was it, didn't say if it was approved or not. I was so shocked, now I am thinking, would this be because we have a very strong case? We have provided proof of our pre-wedding ceremony which happened the year before, as well as travel itineraries (including family holidays) for all those times we've met each other etc, and taking into consideration that we have been in a relationship for a very long time since we were kids, is that all the information he needed?

I asked him quickly, shortly after he said to provide the documents, if I get to know if it means I was approved, and he said that it will be approved after I turn in the required documents. However, I'm not sure if he meant that as a passing comment or not since everyone looked shocked after I walked out. (Other interviewers all said congratulations to the beneficiaries, even if someone required additional paper work like a national police certificate to be mailed, they still said something that gave affirmation. My interviewer said nothing at all without me asking.)

I'm honestly so nervous and don't know what to think and would really value your opinions since I felt that my interviewer didn't really give anything away at all. 

Now as for the 221 (g) I know that's a whole separate thing that I will have to wait for administrative processing times which I am also nervous for the wait time. 
What happens if it comes after my medical exam is expired. Ah it's so stressful to think that even after interview, you're not entirely in the clear yet. 

Thank you in advanced for reading, and if you submitted your opinion. 

Sincerely, another ant on the leaf. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Diana & Justin said:

Providing proof of your pre wedding ceremony might be seen as too marry for a K1. 

You will have to wait after mailing the birth certificate and see what happens. 

Sorry, I'm not entirely understanding, did you mean it as seen as too eager to marry for k1, and only willing to marry my fiance solely for k1?  Or that it is a good indication of us intending to marry in the US.

And yes, I agree it is all really is a waiting game, maybe I'm just too nervous and stressed. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems more questions than I was asked.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

35 minutes ago, SunflowerRoses said:

Hi Guys, 
I just attended my interview today in Sydney, Australia and as the title suggests, my actual interview bit was honestly absolutely insanely short!
I would understand maybe 5 minutes at the least, but I am pretty darn sure this was less than that, like around 3-4 minutes because people were looking at me. 
But the reason I am freaking out is that I'm not sure if that's a very good thing or not since I was issued a 221(G) for not providing an original birth certificate, which I will have to mail in once I reach home (honestly will this affect my approval?)

I'll give a brief run down of the questions I was asked and a summary of answers I provided:
-How long have we been in a relationship to which he asked to clarify the year: (11 years since X of 2008)

That was pretty much it before we were done. He didn't say anything further except that I will need to submit the additional original birth certificates and that was it, didn't say if it was approved or not. I was so shocked, now I am thinking, would this be because we have a very strong case? We have provided proof of our pre-wedding ceremony which happened the year before, as well as travel itineraries (including family holidays) for all those times we've met each other etc, and taking into consideration that we have been in a relationship for a very long time since we were kids, is that all the information he needed?

I asked him quickly, shortly after he said to provide the documents, if I get to know if it means I was approved, and he said that it will be approved after I turn in the required documents. However, I'm not sure if he meant that as a passing comment or not since everyone looked shocked after I walked out. (Other interviewers all said congratulations to the beneficiaries, even if someone required additional paper work like a national police certificate to be mailed, they still said something that gave affirmation. My interviewer said nothing at all without me asking.)

I'm honestly so nervous and don't know what to think and would really value your opinions since I felt that my interviewer didn't really give anything away at all. 

Now as for the 221 (g) I know that's a whole separate thing that I will have to wait for administrative processing times which I am also nervous for the wait time. 
What happens if it comes after my medical exam is expired. Ah it's so stressful to think that even after interview, you're not entirely in the clear yet. 

You shouldn't be too worried about the length of the interview. Some interviews are shor. Just submit the required documents and see what happens.

You’ve been in a relationship 11 years and only met 4 times? Wow, that must have been tough. He didn’t ask about that?

Anyway you said “he said that it will be approved after I turn in the required documents“ which is the kind of thing a CO says when it’s just a document outstanding but the case looks fine. Of course nothing is guaranteed till the visa is printed. Good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
23 hours ago, SunflowerRoses said:

Hi Guys, 

I had my interview yesterday in Sydney and mine went very similar but with an approval because we didn’t have missing documents. I have a very similar story where I have known my fiancé for 11 years and we have had 4 long stays together! We haven’t been in a relationship for 11 years though. 

Try not to stress, they took your passport which is great. What is a pre-wedding ceremony though?

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

Timeline

@Ethan & Shannon
Oh perhaps we saw each other yesterday, I did remember hearing a couple say that they were childhood friends but not sure if that was you two. BTW Congratulations on your approval, I wish you two the best of luck! Thanks for commenting.

I think I'm stressing because I did read that people who were rejected with a 221g still had their passports taken... though not sure if they meant receiving the 221g (which automatically means you're ineligible). 

So the pre-wedding ceremony is sort of like a wedding but you don't sign marriage certificates (or at least real ones that register the two of you as married). It's technically an engagement party since we aren't legally married yet but honestly we regard it as our wedding day since a lot is invested in it like a wedding, and we aren't going to have a celebration this big after we get legally signed in the US. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

It sounds positive. But I wouldn’t get too excited until passport is back with the visa. My interview was in Sydney. I got asked a bunch of questions which I was prepared for and at the end he didn’t say ‘congratulations’ just ‘everything looks in order’. I know he said ‘congratulations, you’re approved’ to other people so it made me wonder but about 2 weeks later I got my passport and visa back 👍🏻 submit what you need to and keep an eye on your CEAC tracking, 

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 3/27/2019 at 12:44 PM, Diane and Chris said:

Did they keep your passport?  

Is passport being kept a sign of being approved? i shall look out for that when it is my turn to get an interview.. not like i am anywhere closer to that stage yet...

Want to know more about apply for K1 VISA / Green card in TAIWAN? come visit my blog https://summerprincess.pixnet.net/blog

7 hours ago, W.Rominger said:

Is passport being kept a sign of being approved? i shall look out for that when it is my turn to get an interview.. not like i am anywhere closer to that stage yet...

Most definitely a sign of being approved. That means they are putting your visa in your passport!  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.