Cammmy

Tax Transcript

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance only have his 2017-2018 1040 and 1099. His 2018 was just recently filed so its impossible to get it before my interview. His 2017 earnings is lower than what is required but his 2018 is way beyond what is needed. Are we going to have a trouble if we can't provide a tax transcript? We also have his contracts and settlements with recent ytd earnings. I've heard from someone that in Manila Embassy, they are requiring the transcript for k1. However, I've read some posts and said 1040 are what is really need. Im confused, should we reschedule and wait for his tax transcript? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cammmy said:

My fiance only have his 2017-2018 1040 and 1099. His 2018 was just recently filed so its impossible to get it before my interview. His 2017 earnings is lower than what is required but his 2018 is way beyond what is needed. Are we going to have a trouble if we can't provide a tax transcript? We also have his contracts and settlements with recent ytd earnings. I've heard from someone that in Manila Embassy, they are requiring the transcript for k1. However, I've read some posts and said 1040 are what is really need. Im confused, should we reschedule and wait for his tax transcript? 

Stop believing those posts.  Transcripts are not required 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Stop believing those posts.  Transcripts are not required 

My goodness, I can now breathe. :( that someone said that she was asked during pre-screening to provide her fiance's transcript

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cammmy said:

My goodness, I can now breathe. :( that someone said that she was asked during pre-screening to provide her fiance's transcript

Yup, well aware of that thread

YMMV

Don't want to worry you, but during our interview, there was a case ahead of ours in which the applicant was turned away for lack of tax transcript. On the other hand, I brought 3 years of tax returns and we were approved. I think it may depend on who you get for the interview.

Since I'm based in the PH, I'm unable to create an IRS online account to request a tax transcript. (IRS requires a US phone number registered in your name in order to verify for account creation, so this is impossible for someone living abroad.) I explained this in detail during pre-interview, and they noted it.

If your fiance has filed taxes already for 2018, just bring a copy of that 1040 with associated 1099s. In the end, that's all they wanted from us, not prior years. And in your case, it sounds like that's the return you want them using to decide your case. 

Direct Consular Filing in Manila, Philippines🏳️‍🌈
FEB 20, 2019
 - I-130 filed w/USCIS Manila Field Office (DCF) - $535 fee

FEB 26, 2019 - I-130 Approved (notified via email) 

MAR 04, 2019 - Interview scheduling instructions & case number rec'd from US Embassy Manila (via email)

MAR 08, 2019 - Medical @ SLEM (completed in 1 day) - P17,025/$323 fee

MAR 18, 2019 - Interview at US Embassy Manila (approved!) - $325 fee

MAR 22, 2019 - Text rec'd from 2Go, Visa packet picked up at SM Megamall (30 days from USCIS filing)

MAR 25, 2019 - Paid IV Fee online - $220 fee

-------------------------------------------

APR 08, 2019 - CFO GCP Session (scheduled) - P400/$8 fee

MAY 12, 2019 - Planned Entry at SFO 

FEB 12, 2021 - Eligible to File I-751 (Removal of Conditions) - $640/$725 fee

FEB 11, 2022 - Eligible to File N-400 (Naturalization) - $595 fee

Timeline
1 minute ago, JordanT said:

Don't want to worry you, but during our interview, there was a case ahead of ours in which the applicant was turned away for lack of tax transcript. On the other hand, I brought 3 years of tax returns and we were approved. I think it may depend on who you get for the interview.

Since I'm based in the PH, I'm unable to create an IRS online account to request a tax transcript. (IRS requires a US phone number registered in your name in order to verify for account creation, so this is impossible for someone living abroad.) I explained this in detail during pre-interview, and they noted it.

If your fiance has filed taxes already for 2018, just bring a copy of that 1040 with associated 1099s. In the end, that's all they wanted from us, not prior years. And in your case, it sounds like that's the return you want them using to decide your case. 

What Visa were they interviewing for?  I suspect it wasn't k1. 

YMMV

6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What Visa were they interviewing for?  I suspect it wasn't k1. 

No idea as I didn't review their file. My point is - best to be over-prepared, yeah? Especially when the OP has a 2018 1040 and 1099 which shows higher income. Would probably make the strongest case to bring those items along for consideration and be to be aware/prepared to give a legitimate explanation as to why a tax transcript is not available, in case that is asked about (many ahead of us were). 

Edited by JordanT

FEB 20, 2019

MAR 04, 2019 - Interview scheduling instructions & case number rec'd from US Embassy Manila (via email)

MAR 22, 2019 - Text rec'd from 2Go, Visa packet picked up at SM Megamall (30 days from USCIS filing)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JordanT said:

No idea as I didn't review their file. My point is - best to be over-prepared, yeah? Especially when the OP has a 2018 1040 and 1099 which shows higher income. Would probably make the strongest case to bring those items along for consideration and be to be aware/prepared to give a legitimate explanation as to why a tax transcript is not available, in case that is asked about (many ahead of us were). 

Then don't fear monger.  The embassy website has what is required for financial documents for the k1 including looking at the requirements for the i134 which nowhere says tax transcripts are required.   The i864 for IR visas is a different affidavit and may require transcripts and is likely what was being done in front of you 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Then don't fear monger.  The embassy website has what is required for financial documents for the k1 including looking at the requirements for the i134 which nowhere says tax transcripts are required.   The i864 for IR visas is a different affidavit and may require transcripts and is likely what was being done in front of you 

Of course I'm not fear-mongering - what reason would I have to do that? Don't be rude. I'm giving the OP a full and realistic perspective, including how the OP can be best prepared and avoid delays from requests for additional information. (Especially since she states she has current year 1040 and 1099s.) 

If there is some doubt or incompleteness of 1099s (as copies of tax returns don't prove that they were actually filed with the IRS,) of course tax transcripts would be preferred to strengthen the case. Takes some knowledge of how tax system works, not just what's listed on the embassy website. 

FEB 20, 2019

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JordanT said:

Of course I'm not fear-mongering - what reason would I have to do that? Don't be rude. I'm giving the OP a full and realistic perspective, including how the OP can be best prepared and avoid delays from requests for additional information. (Especially since she states she has current year 1040 and 1099s.) 

If there is some doubt or incompleteness of 1099s (as copies of tax returns don't prove that they were actually filed with the IRS,) of course tax transcripts would be preferred to strengthen the case. Takes some knowledge of how tax system works, not just what's listed on the embassy website. 

I have more knowledge of the tax system than you could ever imagine. 

If you are not aware but It is not the tax system or the IRS that determines what the evidentiary requirement is for determining financial eligibility,  it is the consulate.   If they required transcripts the instructions would be clearly indicated 

YMMV

10 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I have more knowledge of the tax system than you could ever imagine. 

If you are not aware but It is not the tax system or the IRS that determines what the evidentiary requirement is for determining financial eligibility,  it is the consulate.   If they required transcripts the instructions would be clearly indicated 

Haha! This tone is extremely immature and brings no added value to the OP... so I'll just respectfully let your attitude speak for itself here and leave you alone. 

OP - if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck, and I would highly recommend you to bring your spouse's 2018 1040 (and corresponding 1099s) to the interview. 

FEB 20, 2019

Transcripts are not required. The CO can request them, even for a a K-1 case, but this is not SOP with Manila.

For a K-1 case, the only requirement is to demonstrate that the applicant will not become a public charge. The I-134 is just a tool to help a CO make this determination. COs at some posts are more inclined to require one (or not), or to request certain supporting documents (or not). Historically, Manila COs have not asked for this. A transcript doesn't really do much compared to the 1040 + 1099(s) unless there is reason to suspect the documents are being falsified. If so, you've probably got a bigger problem than the public charge issue.

For an immigrant visa, the I-864 is a requirement by law. At least the most recent year's tax return copy is a requirement to qualify as an I-864 sponsor. NVC has recently requested tax transcripts explicitly.

There's no way to know why this is - increase in falsified documents sent to NVC? Or to the COs? Or are too many people just providing incomplete tax return copies, resulting in excessive checklists being sent out and more workload + backlog (of which only accepting transcripts decreases the issue of a documentation issue)?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Cammmy said:

Embassy doesn't require tax transcripts.   All the embassy requires is a copy of his "most recent" tax return and W2.  If he has filed his 2018 taxes already then he can email you a copy of that tax return for your interview.

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, JordanT said:

Immigrant visa has different requirements than the K-1 visa  ... sort of like mixing apples and oranges.   Can't mix the two types of visas in regards to requirements.

I could show you how to have a U.S. phone number in just a few minutes that would ring in the Philippines.  ;)  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I do believe the embassy is all over the place on this issue for K1s. We took transcripts, W2s and 1040s to the interview. We were not asked to give any of it at anytime...not in prescreening or the interview (Feb.21). I did overhear another presceener ask for the I134 and tax docs.  I do think people are asked for transcripts but it is a very small percentage. But there is definitely not uniformity in what you will or will not be asked to produce concerning taxes and income for a K1 Visa at Manila

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.