Chicago resident

I am house wife do not work so no joint account no joint utility bills no joint property deed

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm a housewife and I went out of my way to add my husband to everything I possibly could when he arrived. You should have prepared for this the moment he got here. But there's no going back and you can start today. Call the electric/gas/oil/insurance/credit card companies/landlord/ect and go to the bank and get a joint account. It's a little late and USCIS will most likely think you're doing it because of RoC but you need to start somewhere.

You must have something that proves you live together,

Copy of driver's licenses with shared address.

Pay stubs

Income tax returns(hopefully you filed married jointly)

Copy of shared car/health/homeowner's insurance

If you rent get a notarized letter from the landlord attesting that you have indeed been living together.

5 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

It is the norm in the US to have joint accounts after getting married (even though some also keep a private savings, etc)

a quick claim deed can be added to put your name on the deed in Illinois although it is not a community property state meaning the assests before your marriage are his 

https://eforms.com/deeds/il/illinois-quit-claim-deed-form/

you can not be added to the mortgage (with most lenders) without doing a refinance (costly)

at the least he should add you to bank account

you should be on his medical insurance

and have driver's license with his address

She can't be added to the mortgage but she can be added to the deed and that isn't expensive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I have my green card interview on September last year. During that interview, first thing the lady ask me is "Do you have a joint account together?" I said, we don't have any, but, I have insurance under my husband, my name stated as the beneficiary of his life insurance and 401k. I even question "do we really need a joint account? Because I don't like the idea of having joint account since I love spending my money on him by buying things unexpected to surprise him and I really don't want he know anything about it since the surprise will not happened because he will know right away if he checking the account balance or account transactions. The lady said that "that is how marriage is, make sure you have joint account prepared before you apply on removal of condition"

I know that everyone has their own experience and opinion, I'm here just to share what I go through.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

4 hours ago, Mrsjackson said:

I’m a housewife too I stay home with kids. Plenty of things will work for me. First, for those asking about access to funds, OP doesn’t need her name on the account. I have my husband’s debit card (he doesn’t grocery shop or really need access to the card a lot but in case he does he’ll use his business card and then just transfer the funds back over using his mobile app). Also some people use Apple Pay a lot now. So my name is not yet on the account that I use everyday (I know he needs to add me we need to get on that), but I have the pin and am the one using it. So nothing the OP has said means she has no access to funds. My husband also hands me cash a lot of the time too. 

Please get your own debit card asap. A colleague and her husband were both using his debit card. It got cloned and it ended up being an absolute nightmare to get anything reimbursed because they didn't respect their user agreement.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
4 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

My wife is a house wife as well. But her name is still on the joint checking account, on my credit card as a authorized user. 

I was the housewife until recently and we have like 10+ joint accounts. My husband is the authorized user on my cards, though. 😎

Then, there is joint health, car insurance, and AAA. We are also the beneficiaries for each other's life insurance as well as in wills. 

I'm the only one on the deed to our house as well.

There is a lot of information a stay at home spouse can provide that is no different than a working one. 

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.