Hoon Kim

Just received 'request for document'

3 posts in this topic

Hello all!

We have just received the request document for my wife's AOS.

Specifically, they requested my (Petitioning Sponsor)'s I-864 and supplemental documents, as well as my dad (Joint Sponsor)'s I-864 and supplemental document.

this is the situation: when we applied for AOS, I was a medical student with a contract with the medical program (which specified income i will make) in my hand, but without actual income or any tax document for the last 3 years. 

so I asked for my dad, who is self employed, for joint sponsorship. (i didn't provide bank statement, business registration or license, or explanation of his business. i did provide all the schedules)

Now that I received the request for document, I am wondering if I should just send to them my information only, since I make sufficient income and have tax 1040 and w-2 to show for it. at the same time, I am worried that I might get in trouble for not supplementing information for my joint sponsor when they asked for it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What do you mean by the letter requesting I-864? Did you not submit the actual forms? Or are the letters more specific? 

If you have a 2018 tax return showing that you have earned income above the 125% of the poverty line, you can submit a new I-864, the IRS transcript or the tax return, W2s, and a few recent pay stubs. 

If you do not have a 2018 (or 2017 if you're yet to file) return showing the necessary amount, then you need to proceed with a joint sponsor. 

It is not clear what you submitted and what USCIS wants. You need either IRS transcripts, or tax returns with W2s and recent pay stubs. Since your joint sponsor is self-employed, a complete IRS transcript with all applicable schedules is technically enough. You presumably have submitted all of your tax transcripts, or letters of explanation in lieu of transcripts? So what does the letter say exactly? 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Thank you for the reply! Let me try to clarify.

my wife submitted i 485 last year. My dad (Joint Sponsor) and I (Petitioning Sponsor) submitted i 864, affidavit of support. I attached a letter of explanation for why I don't have income for the last 3 years, and also attached photocopy of my dad's tax income forms with schedules.

The letter (Request for Evidence) asked for completed I-864 and federal income tax return from both me (Petitioning Sponsor) and my dad (Joint Sponsor). It does not mention what deficiencies I made previously.

I do have 2018 tax return, W2, and pay stubs. I will definitely send those information.

I was wondering if I could get by without sending my dad's affidavit and supplemental documents and instead attach document stating that I wish to be the only petitioning sponsor and that my dad will not be joint sponsor anymore. I feel that it will be much easier and less likely to make some mistake in doing so. joint sponsor being self employed, some sources say to submit bank statement, letter explaining nature of business, business registeration, on top of all the schedules. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.