Steeleballz

Teen daughter removed from front of Spirit Airlines plane while uninformed mother sat in back, lawsuit claims

25 posts in this topic

A 15-year-old girl is removed from a Spirit Airlines flight due to overbooking, while her unbeknownst mother and brother sit in the back of the plane — and don’t realize until halfway through the flight.

While it may sound like the scene out of a movie like Flightplan or Home Alone 2, a Michigan woman claims it happened to her.

Stacy Giordano says she was flying with her daughter and son from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.to Detroit, Mich., in April of 2018, when the family had to switch planes in Tampa, ABC 15 reports.

Giordano was sitting in the back of the plane with her son, while her daughter was assigned to a seat in the front. Then, according to Jerry Thurswell, Giordano’s attorney, the young teenager was removed from the plane due to overbooking, and her seat was given to another passenger.

They didn’t want to hear anything. They just pulled her off the plane,” Thurswell claimed. 

continue to article

It sometimes seems airlines are engaged in a "who can suck the worst" competition of late. Spirit seems to be making their move for the title. Move over United.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

A 15-year-old girl is removed from a Spirit Airlines flight due to overbooking, while her unbeknownst mother and brother sit in the back of the plane — and don’t realize until halfway through the flight.

While it may sound like the scene out of a movie like Flightplan or Home Alone 2, a Michigan woman claims it happened to her.

Stacy Giordano says she was flying with her daughter and son from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.to Detroit, Mich., in April of 2018, when the family had to switch planes in Tampa, ABC 15 reports.

Giordano was sitting in the back of the plane with her son, while her daughter was assigned to a seat in the front. Then, according to Jerry Thurswell, Giordano’s attorney, the young teenager was removed from the plane due to overbooking, and her seat was given to another passenger.

They didn’t want to hear anything. They just pulled her off the plane,” Thurswell claimed. 

continue to article

It sometimes seems airlines are engaged in a "who can suck the worst" competition of late. Spirit seems to be making their move for the title. Move over United.

There has to be more to the story. Surely a 15 year old would become very off the chain and ask for her family. There is usually more to the story. If I remember they usually have low ratings.

They cant all be the best like Jet Blue

19 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

There has to be more to the story. Surely a 15 year old would become very off the chain and ask for her family. There is usually more to the story. If I remember they usually have low ratings.

They cant all be the best like Jet Blue

I hope so. She claims to have spoken up. There must be witnesses who remember either way. Hard to believe they would remove a minor from a plane if they knew her mother was still on board. I hate to say, but I'm hard pressed to think of any other customer service industry that treats people this way and still keeps their customers. 

Edited by Steeleballz

Filed: Timeline

First of all, this story is a year old.

Second of all, if she is 16 and has her own ticket, she can fly alone, so she can be pulled off as a lone passenger.

Third, had she told a gate agent her mother was on the plane, they would have talked to the mom before the door closed.  

As NB said, more to the story...  The family is seeking $75,000 a year later.  The daughter was put on a later flight and got home safely.  Happens multiple times ever single day in America at every single airline.  Why the lawsuit?

39 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

First of all, this story is a year old.

Second of all, if she is 16 and has her own ticket, she can fly alone, so she can be pulled off as a lone passenger.

Third, had she told a gate agent her mother was on the plane, they would have talked to the mom before the door closed.  

As NB said, more to the story...  The family is seeking $75,000 a year later.  The daughter was put on a later flight and got home safely.  Happens multiple times ever single day in America at every single airline.  Why the lawsuit?

The lawsuit is going on now, the article is from today, and the girl was 15 years old at the time and claims they did not listen to her when she said her mom was still on board. It's all detailed in the article. 

Legally, hard to say if they can get anything. Fifteen year olds are allowed to travel alone, so they are allowed to be bumped. Just the way in which they claim it happened. I'd like to think if they bump a kid, they give the adult the choice of taking the next flight too. Getting bumped is already a rotten situation, but Spirit went beyond the norms of uncaring and crappy airline service here. 

7 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The lawsuit is going on now, the article is from today, and the girl was 15 years old at the time and claims they did not listen to her when she said her mom was still on board. It's all detailed in the article. 

Legally, hard to say if they can get anything. Fifteen year olds are allowed to travel alone, so they are allowed to be bumped. Just the way in which they claim it happened. I'd like to think if they bump a kid, they give the adult the choice of taking the next flight too. Getting bumped is already a rotten situation, but Spirit went beyond the norms of uncaring and crappy airline service here. 

Yes, I get all of that.  Not saying it didn’t happen the way they claimed, but I have a hard time believing any airline employee in their right mind would actually remove the girl and ignore her pleas about talking to her mom.  It borders on insane, if it’s true.

14 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Yes, I get all of that.  Not saying it didn’t happen the way they claimed, but I have a hard time believing any airline employee in their right mind would actually remove the girl and ignore her pleas about talking to her mom.  It borders on insane, if it’s true.

I found out long ago that the fact something is insane is rarely sufficient cause to stop it from occurring. I will be interested in the outcome of this though. I don't know what I would do as a parent if I found out half way through a flight that my kid was no longer on the plane, but I'm pretty sure that after all was said and done, I would be the one getting sued.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

As a parent, I would go (as Mrs. T-B. puts it) "aysheep."

6 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

"who can suck the worst" [...] Move over United.

United will never move over or BE moved over.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

United is the only airline i havent had issues with in regards to my kid.  Delta sat us apart by 5 rows when she was like 5, and that was changed because no.

None of the rest would allow me to pay extra for an unaccompanied minor after she turned 12 except united and even now they're the only ones that will give me a gate pass to pick her up because she's a minor.   

It doesnt surprise me this airline separated her from the family and then bunped her.  I would sue though as someone likely would have volunteered to take the later flight for money.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

10 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

As a parent, I would go (as Mrs. T-B. puts it) "aysheep."

United will never move over or BE moved over.

It will be hard for other airlines to knock off United, but certainly not for lack of effort. Unfortunately the airlines that I've heard the best reviews on don't seem to fly where I am going. I'm usually stuck choosing between United, Frontier, and Delta. 

3 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

But you are just all arguing degrees of bad, since deregulation they are all.bad

I think that is inaccurate.  They all exist, as any business does, to make a profit.  Sometimes, thing are done in the pursuit of a profit that we find unpalatable.  All airlines have issues simply because all airlines employ humans, and humans sometimes make mistakes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

since deregulation they are all.bad

Exception = Southwest

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Exception = Southwest

and Jet Blue gets high marks