Dima Gordeyev

How can I deliberately elongate the approval process?

9 posts in this topic

I know this is backwards from so many posts here, but I've already applied for a K1 Visa for my fiancée in Ukraine, and am looking to see where in the process of visa approval it is safest and easiest to delay? I want to live in Ukraine for a time before we get married, and I don't want us to have to be rushed by the mandatory 6 month time frame for her to move to the US post-approval. 

Thanks guys!

- Dima

You can delay it by a little bit, but I don't understand why you applied at all if you're  not ready to move to the US..

You "don't want to be rushed" ? Rules are rules..

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Dima Gordeyev said:

I know this is backwards from so many posts here, but I've already applied for a K1 Visa for my fiancée in Ukraine, and am looking to see where in the process of visa approval it is safest and easiest to delay? I want to live in Ukraine for a time before we get married, and I don't want us to have to be rushed by the mandatory 6 month time frame for her to move to the US post-approval. 

Thanks guys!

- Dima

Well during the USCIS and NVC phase not much you can do... but once the petition goes the embassy you can "delay" it there for a little bit. Like set the interview a few months out instead of immediately. Be aware still of the financial obligations with the I-134 affidavit also since oyu'll be living over there unless you're using a co-sponsor.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Dima Gordeyev said:

Thanks guys!

- Dima

How long do you want to lice in Ukraine? Usually you can delay your NOA2 expiration date for a total of 12 months, but expect questions at the interview why this happened. Also, like others said, you have the income- and domicile requirement.

If you plan on living in Ukraine for more than 12 months, best to withdraw the K1 and file K1 or CR1 whenever you're actually ready for it. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Filing the I-129f requires you and your fiancee to attest that you are ready to marry.  Delay things at your own risks.  People have been denied for long engagements - the US Government doesn't believe there's a bona fide relationship because you purposely delayed getting marry when you said that you were ready for it.  The longer you try to drag this out and go outside of normal processing, then expect things not to go normally.  

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 minute ago, Dima Gordeyev said:

I am only planning to live there for a couple months, and work remotely. So income isn't an issue, and I hope the extra 2 months won't be too long either.

The K-1 visa is valid for 6 months after the medical exam.  She can delay entering the US after receiving her visa until the expiration date.  If you are only staying 2 months, so she can delay the process by not using the visa right after she gets it.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Which part of the process are you at - just sending off the application package? 

The biggest issue with that phase is that while it takes absolute months - about 8 months for us I think from applying to finally hitting the next stage. The US Service center is also assuming the person who filed will be at their US address - so if you are in the Ukraine and your Service Center requests any further evidence, then you might miss that and then the application expires. 

After that everything moves a lot quicker, from the point of my partner getting an approved note. I got letters a few weeks later - we managed to stall out about a month so I could make a bit more money. But I applied for interview and medical pretty much just after the expiration date of the original petition - but the Embassy did send a letter as well requesting I make it known that I'm still interested in going forward. 

1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

The K-1 visa is valid for 6 months after the medical exam.  She can delay entering the US after receiving her visa until the expiration date.  If you are only staying 2 months, so she can delay the process by not using the visa right after she gets it.  

I could be wrong, but I gathered the medical also has a 6 month limit, and you would have to pay for another one for adjustment of status if you ran the whole 6 months out? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 3/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, ChibiBeckyG said:

I could be wrong, but I gathered the medical also has a 6 month limit, and you would have to pay for another one for adjustment of status if you ran the whole 6 months out? 

Medical itself is valid for 1 year. As long as you file AOS within 1 year after medical and the medical is marked 'complete' you don't have to do another medical.

The K1 visa is valid for 6 months after medical date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.