Islanderk

N 600

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Good morning all.. My husband applied for our sons n 600 months back. My husband is a U.S. citizen by birth, lived in the USA all his life.. Hes a veteran. A little back story. I gave birth in my home country, at that time my husband and i were estranged so he did not notified the U.S. embassy of his birth abroad... I got my son his passport from my home country and we came back to the USA.. Because of the relationship between my home country and the USA a b1/b2 (or any) visa is not required to travel back and forth via airplane, all he (anyone) needed was a passport and a police certificate. When we go through we do have to deal with custom and immigration. So it's documented that we are here. I have my b1/b2 visa (it is only needed when going on cruises)  fast forward we amended our relationship, Yesterday we got in the mail a letter stating that the n600 "application has been granted." The letter goes as followed

" you must bring with you your child's permanent resident card, form i-551, prior to certificate issuance. If your child's permanent resident card , form i-551 , was surrendered with a U.S. passport application, please bring your childs passport with you.. My issue here is the child has neither one of those things.. Will they not give him his certificate of citizenship? We submitted all documents to prove that he's the father.. If this helps my son has been living in the USA from. September 2017..

Timeline
5 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Well, this is a mess. It appears that your son entered the country on the visa waiver program, which is the incorrect way of doing it. Where does the letter say that you have to bring the documents to? Does it give you an appointment?

Yes april 19th.. Can you Explain why you said "incorrect way of doing it" please.. 

19 minutes ago, Islanderk said:

Yes april 19th.. Can you Explain why you said "incorrect way of doing it" please.. 

USC should legally have entered on a usc passport. Complex because as a usc he is entitled to live in US obviously, but you have effectively had him living without clear status for a year and a half because you brought him in on a foreign passport as a tourist. You better take again all the docs showing he is a citizen to get the n600. They won’t refuse you if he is entitled to one. You might get an earful from whoever interviews you though for doing it like this.

Edited by SusieQQQ

29 minutes ago, Islanderk said:

You son is a US citizen, and it appears that USCIS agrees. However, all US citizens is required to use US passport to enter the US. You son entered on a foreign passport. You need to go to that appointment and bring the same proof that you applied the N600 with. If the father can go with, that's probably best. It's not the end of the world, but it needs to fixed somehow. 

What you should have done, prior to bringing him to the US, was to take him to the US Embassy with all the documents proving him is a US citizen. They would issue a US passport then

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
32 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

You son is a US citizen, and it appears that USCIS agrees. However, all US citizens is required to use US passport to enter the US. You son entered on a foreign passport. You need to go to that appointment and bring the same proof that you applied the N600 with. If the father can go with, that's probably best. It's not the end of the world, but it needs to fixed somehow. 

What you should have done, prior to bringing him to the US, was to take him to the US Embassy with all the documents proving him is a US citizen. They would issue a US passport then

Ok... Thank you for the shared information.. I didn't know it was another option ..i though he needed his n 600 to get his passport.. The application is in my husband's name on behalf of my son.. So he the one uscis asked to come in to pick up the certificate.. As for the passport my husband and i were going through the divorce hence why we came back to the USA. He's the U.S. citizen not me.. The divorce was denied in all the courts we filed so we decided to make it work late summer of last year.. During the process of divorce proceedings we had no form of contact outside of court happenings and as we all know divorce is extremely messy and cut throat.. Sadly my son got caught in the cross fire (getting his passport was the last thing thought about). but happily he made it right and applied for his n 600.. Hopefully all goes well and they hand him the babies certificate..thank you for the insight..

2 hours ago, Islanderk said:

Ok... Thank you for the shared information.. I didn't know it was another option ..i though he needed his n 600 to get his passport.. The application is in my husband's name on behalf of my son.. So he the one uscis asked to come in to pick up the certificate.. As for the passport my husband and i were going through the divorce hence why we came back to the USA. He's the U.S. citizen not me.. The divorce was denied in all the courts we filed so we decided to make it work late summer of last year.. During the process of divorce proceedings we had no form of contact outside of court happenings and as we all know divorce is extremely messy and cut throat.. Sadly my son got caught in the cross fire (getting his passport was the last thing thought about). but happily he made it right and applied for his n 600.. Hopefully all goes well and they hand him the babies certificate..thank you for the insight..

All you needed for his passport was a consular report of birth abroad at the embassy. You didn’t need an n600 first.

14 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Was your husband a US citizen when your child was born?

She said “My husband is a U.S. citizen by birth, lived in the USA all his life..”

so definitely qualified to pass on citizenship at birth 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to US Citizenship General Discussion, form Bringing Family to the US~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Islanderk said:

If this helps my son has been living in the USA from. September 2017.

More important question is what is your status if you have been living in the US since September 2017?  On a B2 tourist visa?  USCIS may ask you this question so be prepared.  Or are you an LPR through your USC husband?  Did he ever file an I-130 for you?

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2019 at 6:59 AM, Islanderk said:

Good morning all.. My husband applied for our sons n 600 months back. My husband is a U.S. citizen by birth, lived in the USA all his life.. Hes a veteran. A little back story. I gave birth in my home country, at that time my husband and i were estranged so he did not notified the U.S. embassy of his birth abroad... I got my son his passport from my home country and we came back to the USA.. Because of the relationship between my home country and the USA a b1/b2 (or any) visa is not required to travel back and forth via airplane, all he (anyone) needed was a passport and a police certificate. When we go through we do have to deal with custom and immigration. So it's documented that we are here. I have my b1/b2 visa (it is only needed when going on cruises)  fast forward we amended our relationship, Yesterday we got in the mail a letter stating that the n600 "application has been granted." The letter goes as followed

" you must bring with you your child's permanent resident card, form i-551, prior to certificate issuance. If your child's permanent resident card , form i-551 , was surrendered with a U.S. passport application, please bring your childs passport with you.. My issue here is the child has neither one of those things.. Will they not give him his certificate of citizenship? We submitted all documents to prove that he's the father.. If this helps my son has been living in the USA from. September 2017..

how did it work out for you? Could you update us about your situation? Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.