Bakemma

Can my British in laws apply for a B-2 visa?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there I did search the site but I couldn't find anything specific to our situation so I though I would ask here. My husband and I were just blessed with a little bundle of joy in January and my in laws just came for a visit to meet her on the VWP. My husband is in school and I work full time. He is due to graduate in May of 2020. While they were here they were awesome with the baby and I was wondering if it would be possible for them to apply for a B-2 visa to come and stay for up to 6 months and help us out with child care while my husband finishes school? We were thinking my mother in law would come stay August through January. And my father in law would stay December through April. Is a B vis a even possible because they are VWP eligible? We don't want to apply and have them be denied because we know they lose VWP privileges if they are denied. But they are both retired and would love to spend some quality time with their grandchild. We have even looked into some agencies that offer travel health insurance for up to 6 months. Is assisting with a grandchild a valid reason to apply for a B2 visa? Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Bakemma said:

Is assisting with a grandchild a valid reason to apply for a B2 visa?

You have to be careful. "Assisting with the grandchild" or "help us out with child care" are not good. "Visiting and spending some quality time with my son's family" is a good reason. 

People have been denied because "doing childcare" can be considered as work, and that's unauthorized on B2

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Bakemma said:

Is assisting with a grandchild a valid reason to apply for a B2 visa? Thanks!

This could be interpreted as "working" which violates the terms of B1/B2 and they would lose ESTA also. Even though you just see it as helping out, you could pay someone in the US to do the same therefore it's considered work. 

I'd stick with the VWP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I agree they would need a Work Visa to undertake child care.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

22 minutes ago, Bakemma said:

Hi there I did search the site but I couldn't find anything specific to our situation so I though I would ask here. My husband and I were just blessed with a little bundle of joy in January and my in laws just came for a visit to meet her on the VWP. My husband is in school and I work full time. He is due to graduate in May of 2020. While they were here they were awesome with the baby and I was wondering if it would be possible for them to apply for a B-2 visa to come and stay for up to 6 months and help us out with child care while my husband finishes school? We were thinking my mother in law would come stay August through January. And my father in law would stay December through April. Is a B vis a even possible because they are VWP eligible? We don't want to apply and have them be denied because we know they lose VWP privileges if they are denied. But they are both retired and would love to spend some quality time with their grandchild. We have even looked into some agencies that offer travel health insurance for up to 6 months. Is assisting with a grandchild a valid reason to apply for a B2 visa? Thanks!

Just got ahead and use the VWP because tourist visas are really hard to get from the UK because you have VWP option. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Child care is considered work which violates the terms of the VWP and the B2 visa.

What you want is not possible.  Your parents will not qualify for visitor visas to take care of your baby.  

The US Government's stance is that if you need someone to work to care for your child, then you can hire a US person.  

20 minutes ago, Bakemma said:

As others have stated, it will be the assisting with childcare that will get them denied. You should also consider this, a lot of VWP who apply for B2 visa get denied. This is because an officer may look at it as you already have the privilege to come to the US without a B2, what do you need to do in 6 months that you can't do in 3? And babysitting is definitely not the right answer to that question.

They can certainly apply but best for them to play it safe and stick with the VWP, IMO.

Congrats on the baby!

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Can I give you practical advice? Suggest using the funds earmarked for "travel health insurance" for childcare, and stick to the inlaws using the VWP to visit now and then. 

Very had for VWP-eligible applicants to get a b2, and if b2 denied, VWP is gone for a good while. Reward not worth the risk. 

Edited by WeGuyGal

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am intrigued where they are getting travel insurance from, was costing my Mother the same as the airfare for 2 weeks.

VWP is not gone for good but another issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.