Tara & Rohit

Undocumented Immigrants Getting Drivers Licenses

52 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

No, K-1s are legal, they can't do that, unless they want to become illegals and subject to deportation....

Look, I'm not saying it's fair. Life is never fair. What about the H4 spouses that have NO ability to work at all.... 

Ironic ain't it?

In California they're not "Real ID compliant" so that means you cannot board a domestic flight with it. I know most immigrants would use their passport but passports are not necessary for domestic flights with a "Real ID" compliant drivers licenses. And trust me, the Real ID wait is long for citizens as well in this state.

Edited by moreadore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I definitely welcome this! Whilst I've been waiting for my EAD/AP, Nevada has allowed me to get a Driver Authorization Card, which I can upgrade when I get my combo card (hopefully next month). Quite clearly on mine it states "not valid for ID purposes' and obviously at the moment I can only use it within Nevada. 

Aside from the issue of illegal immigration, I feel it just makes sense to have it as personally I'd rather have people 'certified' and 'qualified enough' to know the state road laws etc. Having come from the UK with a full DL (that I've held for over a decade) and having driving on the opposite side of the road, I know with my UK licence I would have struggled driving in the US with little understanding. I feel I'd more than likely would have caused hazardous situations, possibly a crash as many roads signs, road markings meant zero to me when I came here. I'm fortunate to have never experienced a car crash. 

It is a great thing I feel and something particularly from a K1 perspective would be of use and gladly appreciated especially when waiting for the EAD/AP. 

Edited by jakejon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
10 hours ago, Tara & Rohit said:

Right! I totally agree with you. But what about K1 Visa holders that have to wait until EAD and AP? Would something like this mean that they don't have to wait 5-6 months for a drivers license? 

Will not work, Just tried this 2 days ago with my wife's ID card. Since she is here legally, they won't do anything for her. Have to wait for the EAD card to do much of anything, I was pretty livid at the DMV as that place can really test your patience, I said your handing out $%^#*( Driving Licenses to every illegal that walks thru your ^%$#@*( door, but you won't give my legal wife a State ID. I left before the 90 year old security guard got up from his chair to try and do something, what I don't know, but yes, it's a load of &^#@!

I mean, she still has her Real ID compliant ID card, even though it expires in a few days, it's been working for now. Just don't want her carrying around her passport all the time.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Will not work, Just tried this 2 days ago with my wife's ID card. Since she is here legally, they won't do anything for her. Have to wait for the EAD card to do much of anything, I was pretty livid at the DMV as that place can really test your patience, I said your handing out $%^#*( Driving Licenses to every illegal that walks thru your ^%$#@*( door, but you won't give my legal wife a State ID. I left before the 90 year old security guard got up from his chair to try and do something, what I don't know, but yes, it's a load of &^#@!

I mean, she still has her Real ID compliant ID card, even though it expires in a few days, it's been working for now. Just don't want her carrying around her passport all the time.

I feel for her. I’m trying to help my fiancé when he arrives. Seems like we can’t catch a break lol

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/17/19 - AOS Packet Mailed

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

08/16/19 - Biometric Appt.

09/25/19 - Interview Ready to be Scheduled

10/16/19 - Interview was Scheduled

12/05/19 - Interview Day

❤️ From Worlds Apart... to a Lifetime Together!! ❤️

My husband got one in Washington state before receiving his EAD/AP, and it was in no way illegal.  In fact, it was required after 30 days of driving on his NZ license. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I had visited before I moved here and had no trouble driving in the US.

I had driven in Europe where they also drive on the wrong side so that probably helped.

As far as the test here well it was a joke, I was given the written test when I went in to find out what to do, got one question wrong, they wanted the booklet back which I had not even looked at.

The actual test was once around the block, 5 minutes max.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

There were talks of Texas DL for the undocumented. Any news?

Did Texas ever gave Driver License and/or State ID to the undocumented?

Edited by Visitor User

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

I had driven in Europe where they also drive on the wrong side so that probably helped.

As far as the test here well it was a joke, I was given the written test when I went in to find out what to do, got one question wrong, they wanted the booklet back which I had not even looked at.

That’s what Alec said, too.  NZ/ British driving standards are much higher than most US states.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Boiler said:

Everyone should drive right down the center!

What is interesting is how the drivers training program has changed over the years.  Back when I was 15, we could test out of the classroom portion of DT and just complete a few weeks of driving.  I actually purposefully failed the test as a girl I liked was in my class section (probably a mistake now that I think about it), then when complete and when I turned 16 I got a license free and clear (not that restricted one like they give out today).  When my fiancé arrived and we got married we went down to the Michigan Secretary of State to get her a learner's permit that expired in about 75 days, but that gave us time to practice as she hadn't driven for many years and did not have a Russian DL.  When the GC came about five months later, she took her road test and got her license.  She is probably a better driver than me, and not at all afraid of pushing 90 on the interstate.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

That’s what Alec said, too.  NZ/ British driving standards are much higher than most US states.

Lol. So many people don’t drive in Britain :D (Small island with, mostly, good public transport and those confounded gazillion roundabouts ...driving for many is both unnecessary and annoying.) I have friends who only got their licenses in their late 20s/early 30s, and then only because they were moving to the US or somewhere else with a bigger driving culture!

on the “legal” vs “illegal” and k visas holders having to wait while illegals don’t, etc. in CA undocumented immigrants can get DLs marked “AB60” which means that they have been issued without all the required documentation (hence, not real ID compliant or in any way fit for federal ID purposes, only to show you can drive legally). K1 visa holders who are battling without EAD etc can and do get these as well. Some prefer not to because the AB60 notation is associated with being undocumented and they don’t want a stigma for the times they have to show it.

11 hours ago, Boiler said:

Did you actually have a DL from before though or clearly knew how to drive? The driving test for us experienced drivers was clearly much shorter and had much less in it than the ones for a new driver (I have a kid who got a DL not too long ago so can certainly attest to this)

the written test at least in CA is dead easy if you already know how to drive, most of the answers you will know,  just a few things like x feet for this or that (hard for us coming from metric!). 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

23 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

on the “legal” vs “illegal” and k visas holders having to wait while illegals don’t, etc. in CA undocumented immigrants can get DLs marked “AB60” which means that they have been issued without all the required documentation (hence, not real ID compliant or in any way fit for federal ID purposes, only to show you can drive legally). K1 visa holders who are battling without EAD etc can and do get these as well. Some prefer not to because the AB60 notation is associated with being undocumented and they don’t want a stigma for the times they have to show it.

I can understand the stigma part for sure. I just find it ironic that illegals can go and get a drivers license, yet our legal status fiances have to wait 5-6 months for theirs. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this possible change for Florida and other states... I would just think we would want our legal residents to have more privileges. 

It's rewarding bad behavior."You came here illegally, so here's your license! You came here legally... enjoy waiting around."

06/30/19 - Wedding Day!!

07/17/19 - AOS Packet Mailed

07/19/19 - AOS Received

07/24/19 - NOA1 Date

08/16/19 - Biometric Appt.

09/25/19 - Interview Ready to be Scheduled

10/16/19 - Interview was Scheduled

12/05/19 - Interview Day

❤️ From Worlds Apart... to a Lifetime Together!! ❤️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I could drive, I drove for sometime when I got here.

I was not asked, did not show my UK license. I got my learner CO one first.

Certainly on dirt roads most people do drive down the middle.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

46 minutes ago, Tara & Rohit said:

I can understand the stigma part for sure. I just find it ironic that illegals can go and get a drivers license, yet our legal status fiances have to wait 5-6 months for theirs. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this possible change for Florida and other states... I would just think we would want our legal residents to have more privileges. 

It's rewarding bad behavior."You came here illegally, so here's your license! You came here legally... enjoy waiting around."

Look at it this way.. the ones those undocumented ones get are a single purpose one, and no additional benefit.. your fiance should eventually be eligible for Real ID compliant one. Someone once asked me why CR1 applicants married to USCs have to wait a year or so, while H1b spouses could travel to the US soon after a wedding.. I responded with the shpeal about CR1s get a green card, so have to wait for background checks etc, while H4s dont have such long term benefits. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.