dittoditto

RFIE for Taiwan birth certificate?

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

My husband and I are filing for his adjustment of status. He's from Taiwan. We recently submitted our application packet with the help of an immigration attorney. And right away we got an RFIE for his I-485.

Apparently the household registration that is normally required of Taiwanese citizens is not enough (despite what is said here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Taiwan.html).

Has anyone encountered this issue?  Our attorney has said that for previous clients, she had normally sent what was stated in the web site, so this is a new one for her. 

• 10 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 3:19 AM, dittoditto said:

Hello,

My husband and I are filing for his adjustment of status. He's from Taiwan. We recently submitted our application packet with the help of an immigration attorney. And right away we got an RFIE for his I-485.

Apparently the household registration that is normally required of Taiwanese citizens is not enough (despite what is said here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Taiwan.html).

Has anyone encountered this issue?  Our attorney has said that for previous clients, she had normally sent what was stated in the web site, so this is a new one for her. 

Hello! What did you ended up submitting? We are in the same situation right now, just got the same type of RFE 2 days ago. Please help!

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 2/15/2020 at 5:29 PM, vvp said:

Hello! What did you ended up submitting? We are in the same situation right now, just got the same type of RFE 2 days ago. Please help!

Hello! May I ask what you ended up submitting for the RFE? We got the same one for the birth certificate (husband is also from Taiwan) 

You have to get the birth certificate that was issued from the hospital.

If the hospital doesn't have it or if it's gone (my husband's case) then the Household Registration Office (戶政事務所) should have a copy from the hospital.

My in-laws still live in Taiwan so it was easy for them to get. They took it next to a local translator and had it translated and certified.

USCIS accepted it after a few weeks.

• 2 years later...

I am in the same situation right now. We have not submitted or aos packet yet and our attorney advised the birth certificate must be from the hospital and kept point to the state gov reciprocity USA Taiwan website that says birth certificate must be from hospital. The problem is my wife was born at a clinic and that will never change. The best we can do is submit the birth certificate issued from the household registry and that will be the one from the clinic. Of course it will also be translated and certified. My wife says this is the only document she will ever be able to obtain     Attorney thinks we might not be successful because it’s not from a hospital.  Anyone else from Taiwan had this situation? Any help is much appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 2/19/2023 at 11:58 AM, jryan2613 said:

I am in the same situation right now. We have not submitted or aos packet yet and our attorney advised the birth certificate must be from the hospital and kept point to the state gov reciprocity USA Taiwan website that says birth certificate must be from hospital. The problem is my wife was born at a clinic and that will never change. The best we can do is submit the birth certificate issued from the household registry and that will be the one from the clinic. Of course it will also be translated and certified. My wife says this is the only document she will ever be able to obtain     Attorney thinks we might not be successful because it’s not from a hospital.  Anyone else from Taiwan had this situation? Any help is much appreciated. 

I'm going the Consular Route but if you read here, it clearly states that everyone applying for an immigrant visa will need to submit:
1) Household Registration Record 戶口名簿
AND
2a) a Birth Certificate issued by hospital
OR
2b) a "Birth registration record" issued by the Office of Household Registration 內政部戶政司 

I don't know what the Birth registration record is in Chinese, but from the looks of it, it's something that the Office of Household Registration has for everyone. You can ask your wife or her family to call and ask: (02)7750-5096

1 hour ago, IRFUN said:

I'm going the Consular Route but if you read here, it clearly states that everyone applying for an immigrant visa will need to submit:
AND
OR
2b) a "Birth registration record" issued by the Office of Household Registration 內政部戶政司 

I don't know what the Birth registration record is in Chinese, but from the looks of it, it's something that the Office of Household Registration has for everyone. You can ask your wife or her family to call and ask: (02)7750-5096

Thanks for the reply, what we have so far is the household registration record and the birth certificate record from the household registration. That part that’s confusing us is the birth registration record as my wife says there’s no way to apply for that unless that’s what we already have which is just a copy of the birth certificate issued by the household registry. What also makes it confusing is just the normal household registration record has her birth record on it the date she was born and added to the household registration so it kind of makes you think if the regular household registration record already has the birth record added on it why would you need an additional document along with it called the birth registration record. We have also found out if we do get a request for evidence we can have two sworn statements from family members notarized stating they know her and we’re present at birth so there is at least a backup plan and also thank you for the phone number. We will double check. Thanks again. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, jryan2613 said:

Thanks for the reply, what we have so far is the household registration record and the birth certificate record from the household registration. That part that’s confusing us is the birth registration record as my wife says there’s no way to apply for that unless that’s what we already have which is just a copy of the birth certificate issued by the household registry. What also makes it confusing is just the normal household registration record has her birth record on it the date she was born and added to the household registration so it kind of makes you think if the regular household registration record already has the birth record added on it why would you need an additional document along with it called the birth registration record. We have also found out if we do get a request for evidence we can have two sworn statements from family members notarized stating they know her and we’re present at birth so there is at least a backup plan and also thank you for the phone number. We will double check. Thanks again. 

Yeah, kind of convoluted, but it is what it is, so we just give them what they ask for. 

Maybe you can leave a comment or note somewhere that explains the situation just to be safe, but my bet is that you'll be okay. 

By the way, you can specifically request for an English version of the Household Registration Transcript so you can skip translating that document at least. 

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/7/2023 at 6:25 PM, IRFUN said:

AND
OR

I should have checked this info earlier, I only uploaded Birth Registration Record, I got RFE for Household Registration record, they required two documents, now I have to go back in line for another 2 weeks. Not good. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Gogoluv said:

I should have checked this info earlier, I only uploaded Birth Registration Record, I got RFE for Household Registration record, they required two documents, now I have to go back in line for another 2 weeks. Not good. 

Yeah... I didn't see it till double checking after I submitted my NVC docs but before they reviewed it. They should make it more obvious that it's required.

• 2 months later...

I finally can come back to comment here for historical research value for anyone searching this info in the future. All our cases were approved. There was no issue submitting the birth record issued by the household registries digital database with my spouse born at a clinic and not a hospital. We also submitted the household registration at the same time and it also was translated and had the boca certified paper attached to it. We had family members back in Taiwan help us getting the translation and boca certification done then shipping us the document in USA. The main point or takeaway from this is that with the household registration the birth record of a birth at a clinic and not a hospital was sufficient enough. This was what had us worried since the recpriority website stated only hospital births in Taiwan. Making it sound like any birth outside a hospital would not be recognized in USA. Luckily the clinic birth record that the household office had on file was sufficient. It was just a birth certificate from a clinic. That was on file at the household registry. Maybe this is what the birth registration record at household office is also referred to that confused us since no such document exists.   We did get an RFE for unrelated issue needing more proof our marriage was real for the I-130. We explained how after the ead card arrived and ssn card that finally we could do joint stuff and attached copies of our joint accounts which is important for the I-130 but impossyto do without a ssn or ssn card.  Or response to the rfe also included our YouTube channel links since you can’t include video and apparently the whole package of proof was good enough to get approved 1 day later without any green card interview since we have been together so long already. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.